Wiring up an extractor fan-Electrical advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta9

Psychonaut
Reaction score
I was given a small Manrose wall/ceiling extractor fan and rather than connect it to my houses fixed wiring as per the manual, I would like to connect it to length of extension cord and a plug for an additional exhaust in my grow tent.

So I have a terminal block with:
Terminal 1-live supply in
Terminal 2-neutral supply in

My question is-what do I with the ground wire from the extension lead?
Is it ok to leave it disconnected on the fan end?

According to the manual -"This fan is double insulated and does not require an earth".
I guess I am just being cautious and checking here first.
Hopefully some "Sparkies" out there can shed some light on this for me.

I am a plumber, not a sparkie, but I do wire a bunch of my own stuff like fans and adding outlets. I would go ahead and get an extension cord with a ground and connect the ground. Since it does have the 3 leads, even though it says that it does not need grounding, if there is a grounding wire in the fan, I would wire it up to a cord with a ground.

Yeah if the fan has a ground wire then use it. If the fan doesn't have a ground wire then just terminate the ground wire in the cord that you are using and put a small piece of black(electrical) tape over it and seal it inside of the connector housing.

black = live one
white = neutral
copper or green ground you can use a small sefl tapping screw to attach to the frame of the fan not the motor or if you would rather sounds like you can leave it out but for the safety that a single screw adds .

OK-so the fan itself DOESN'T have a ground wire-but my extension lead does.
So terminating it inside the cord at the fan end is best?
I'll do that. Cool:)

I do have some electrical experience building guitar amplifiers and recording studio equipment and in many of these cases it is standard procedure that earth wires are grounded to a metal chassis and I wondered if this was what was required here.

Thanks guys-that has saved me a few dollars on my overall grow cost- much appreciated :)

black = live one
white = neutral
copper or green ground you can use a small sefl tapping screw to attach to the frame of the fan not the motor or if you would rather sounds like you can leave it out but for the safety that a single screw adds .

Ok the frame is all plastic -only the fan itself and motor are metal if that makes any difference.
The only viable place for a self tapping screw for the ground wire would maybe be one of the two threaded holes on the back plate of the motor?
View attachment phpbDstfrAM.jpg

looking at that fan i would forget about the ground it don't look like it would need it.you can just put electrical tape on the unused wire or cut it short so it won't touch any thing and cause a short .

I was given a small Manrose wall/ceiling extractor fan and rather than connect it to my houses fixed wiring as per the manual, I would like to connect it to length of extension cord and a plug for an additional exhaust in my grow tent.

So I have a terminal block with:
Terminal 1-live supply in
Terminal 2-neutral supply in

My question is-what do I with the ground wire from the extension lead?
Is it ok to leave it disconnected on the fan end?

According to the manual -"This fan is double insulated and does not require an earth".
I guess I am just being cautious and checking here first.
Hopefully some "Sparkies" out there can shed some light on this for me.
Look for a lil green screw, or bond the ground to the fan directly. Post a pic for exact help, as they tend to hide ground terminations. With water around it's always a good idea to have a ground

Look for a lil green screw, or bond the ground to the fan directly. Post a pic for exact help, as they tend to hide ground terminations. With water around it's always a good idea to have a ground

Picture of fan added for reference- please see above-

If I use a self tapping screw into the frame of the fan-does it matter if the frame is metal or not? [The whole frame is plastic]

Picture of fan added for reference- please see above-

If I use a self tapping screw into the frame of the fan-does it matter if the frame is metal or not? [The whole frame is plastic]

As stated above, this model doesn't not require ground, just cut or cap it.

As stated above, this model doesn't not require ground, just cut or cap it.

Thanks -I took your advice and the fan works great:)

Sorry for possibly over-seeking clarification there...

..Working with electrical systems makes me nervous LOL.

once zapped, twice shy haha..

Glad all is working out

LOL--there is a reason I am a plumber and not an electrician. If I make a mistake, I just get wet.....

LOL--I am incredibly healthy (especially for the way I have lived my live. I fear septic tanks less than a lot of other things...the fumes from solder and the glues we use are probably a lot more dangerous than all the waste I ever stuck my hands into. Wouldn't be a general for the world....you have to deal with all us subs.

LOL--I am incredibly healthy (especially for the way I have lived my live. I fear septic tanks less than a lot of other things...the fumes from solder and the glues we use are probably a lot more dangerous than all the waste I ever stuck my hands into. Wouldn't be a general for the world....you have to deal with all us subs.

Hahaha, I forgot septic, and as a general, I know how to play my subs, I don't deal with anyone. Way too many willing people out there right now, to rub an employer the wrong way.

Latest posts

Back