Wish me luck...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I am currently using a 1000w HPS for flowering. However, I am going to swap to a 600 or 750 for my next grow.

Even though my plants are over a foot from an air cooled hood in a room that almost never goes over 80F, the plants in the center have yellow leaf burn while all the plants on the outside and more away from the light are all perfectly green and beautiful. A week or so from harvest and I have only plucked off a handful of fan leaves. Everything is really really green.... except for the plants closest to the light.

Now, that wouldn't bother me all that much because I toss the leaves anyway. But, I noticed that the colas closest to the light didn't have nearly as many trichomes as the plants along the outside. Especially on the bracs. The plants along the outside are almost white with coverage.

I can't raise the ceiling or lower the floor so.... I'll dial down my ballast to 750 (if I can find a 750w bulb) or 600w, if I can't. I'll be running the same strain under that light so I can do a pretty fair comparison on yield and quality.

If you have a dimmable ballast you can still use your 1000 watt bulb. Just turn down the power!

I was under the impression that you can use a 1000w bulb for the lower settings. I don't believe I've ever seen a 750w bulb. How high is your ceiling? All puns aside, lol. I only have 6' to work with myself and I've noticed similar things. I attributed it to to much heat and added colder air through the intake which helped but wasn't the cure. To much light can be a bad thing :(. Is it possible to stretch your 4x4 into a 5x5?

My ballast isn't dimmable, it's switchable. It says right in the manual not to use any bulb other than the proper wattage for the proper setting. I don't mind. I have about 10 or 15 bulbs on my shelf anyway so I can easily switch around.

The guy at the grow store said he could order me a 750w bulb so they must be available. I'll check 1000bulbs and a few other places. I really hate to dial down but like you said (and, almost everyone will disagree with you, except me) "Too much light can be a bad thing". I also have some minor light bleaching on some of the buds right below the light.

The only option I have for more height is to remove the ceiling and mount the light, actually, up in the floor rafters. Not so sure that's a great idea having a wood floor resting on the top of that hood. LOL So, at most, I could gain 5 or 6 inches. Hardly worth it. I may just star flowering earlier. I seldom flower before 60 days. The plants are pretty big by then. Or, a scrog is an obvious answer. I have a number of options.

I also added plenty of air exchange and it helped with temps but not with the light burn. I have a total of 5 fans in my one room. Full 350 cfm intake and exhaust. Intake from another room and exhaust to the return duct. I have my room pretty dialed in for almost everything (except this light burn issue). And, like I said, I wouldn't care about burnt leaves but the trics are way better on the unburned plants (duh). Terpenes burn off easily. I'll bet these buds in the middle taste like crap compared to the ones on the edges.

No making the room bigger. All the walls are full stud walls into other rooms.

Would Co2 help? That's the only thing that I can think of that will help the plants photosynthesize the extra light.
just a medicated pondering..

Are all the plants the same cut Hacker? or different cuts/strains?

Well, the plants in the first post are 4 different strains. But, then the thread developed into my flowering room. LOL

So, if you're talking about the flowering room that's about ready for harvest.... yes, they are all clones from the same mother.

Just for a quick update on the 4 new strains, a quick pic. Not a great pic but it shows nice growth. These are about ready to be transplanted into 3 qt pots and changed from 18/6 to 24/4. Cindy has some claws. I have been feeding them all the same. That has to be a death wish. LOL

Are the Cindy's light eaters? As green as she looks, I wonder if I have too much N for her. They all need Cal-Mag next feeding.

View attachment seedlings.jpg

Greetings

Looking good, u must be commercial grow.
Peace
Legal D.C. ?!!?
Atomic Dog

From the pics I would say you could up the N a little on all, they're starting to yellow a bit at the bottoms, usually a sign of N deficiency. It starts at the bottom and goes up the plant. By this stage of veg they really start using the N pretty heavily IME. Cal mag deficiencies will generally start in the middle of the new growth at top and work outwards. JMO. Other than that they look great. Nice structure, tight node spacing. Green mojo!

Yeah, I gave them some CalMag today. I use FF Grow Big (and CM) during veg and not much else. I'll check and see what other sups might be good for them. Hopefully, they will all 4 have, at least, similar feeding needs.

Add some FF micronutrients in there as well. During veg and flower.

I didn't know they made them. I will be at the store tomorrow. I'll check it out. I knew (and I use) the boosters and all for flowering but was not aware of anything for use during veg. I'll check out what they have, tomorrow.

Any suggestions on a specific product they have?

Thanks again.

Little update. The 4 mothers have been 12/12 for 20 days. Stretching has stopped. Buds are starting to develop nicely. Nothing special so far.

What is really killing me is the clones. I am way too successful on cloning. I always have way too many and they always grow way too fast. LOL

These clones are only 20 days old and look at them. The roots are ready to burst out of the cups and the plants are all about new growth. These need transplanted now and I don't want to do it for, at least another week. Maybe 2. Then 4 to 5 weeks in veg before the mothers are out of the flower room. These things will be as big as Jack's bean stalk before the flower room is available.

This always happens to me. LOL And, it's so hard to throw away a nice healthy clone.

The very last 2 pics are the clones 20 days ago when I cut them.

View attachment mothers-1.jpg

View attachment clones-1.jpg

View attachment clones-2.jpg

View attachment clones-3.jpg

View attachment clones-4.jpg

View attachment clones-5.jpg

View attachment clones-6.jpg

View attachment clones-7.jpg

Very nice. I thought roots didnt like light? I see your using clear containers.

I never used clear in the past. This is only my second time with clear containers. I had also heard that light will kill the roots but it sure doesn't look like those roots are dying to me. LOL

I do like being able to see the progress in the clear cups and they don't really seem to affect root growth like "they" claim it does.

I know ya could never do that with DWC,,roots would be a mess.
Greem Mojo

If I am looking right, most of the root growth is below the surface where the plants are in the dark of the flat.

Latest posts

Back