Worm Casting Farm Members?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kindbud

Grower
Reaction score
Hey everyone what's going on everyone I was wondering if we have any members that are well established worm casting and farmers. The organic 100% pure castings gave me the ideas years ago of starting one when I first began growing after buying 1 pound of pure castings at HTG supply to try believe back then it's wasn't that bad for a pound for pure good stuff for making tea but nowadays the organic pure castings that are PURE can go for over 10$ a pound you get what you pay for when it comes to product strength and effectiveness read multiple times that the bigger bags that are over 5 pounds are a small% of actual castings and have sand and fine dirt mixed in for weight. That's why some bags weighing 1-3 pounds go for 10-20$ Then the bigger commercial business 10-30lb bags sell for 20-30$ but probably only have 2-4 pounds of pure fresh po0p rest being just dirt with no nutrients compared to the castings. But was wondering are there any members that have a good little worm world going on???

Had an old timer in the old hood when I was a kid that used to raise worms for supplying the local bait and tackle stores. He swore the secret to doing it was to feed 'em cornmeal soaked in peanut oil. Never tried it, but the old boy had no reason to lie to me.

Had an old timer in the old hood when I was a kid that used to raise worms for supplying the local bait and tackle stores. He swore the secret to doing it was to feed 'em cornmeal soaked in peanut oil. Never tried it, but the old boy had no reason to lie to me.
Sounds interesting probably some truth to it. I heard coffee grounds are good and I know the owner of the coffee shop in the used to be small town closest to me since I was a kid family friend and he gets lots of business idk probably way over 100 cups every morning and talked to him said I could have all the old grounds gonna bring him a nice trashcan I'm not using with a top and foot petal that can be out by the machines and said he'd tell the girls working for him to fill it up and I'll pick up the bags from him every week about to have food central for them. Was wanting to ask someone that's experienced in it a couple things

Sucks acreens all cracked and butch to type been using speaker to talk and post smh ordering some Jiffy seed starter domes and plugs for the seeds being sent and some tomatoes/peppers gonna start soon and now a new phone smh life goes on

I don't do vermicompost, but I've used Brute worm farm's EWC. Good company with quality product.

You want a well balanced, diverse form of compost to feed them. I.E. - a balanced amount of green and brown vegetation with some treats added (coffee, fruit peels, egg shells.. et. al) Even cardboard and paper!

Do not... DO NOT use Miracle Grow peat moss as a base. It will kill your worms graveyard dead.

I don't do vermicompost, but I've used Brute worm farm's EWC. Good company with quality product.

You want a well balanced, diverse form of compost to feed them. I.E. - a balanced amount of green and brown vegetation with some treats added (coffee, fruit peels, egg shells.. et. al) Even cardboard and paper!

Do not... DO NOT use Miracle Grow peat moss as a base. It will kill your worms graveyard dead.
3rd Time now short and sweet anyone else a worm composter? Well I built that experiment tub yesterday and filled it with coffee nana peels and old bulb roots/tops that are dry and decomposing and used good 10+ old oak decomposed wood that's a rich black black color and then a few handfuls of worm topsoil from location ok so that sums it up here's the question posting then typing so don't close out again

Last edited:
#2 So night before yesterday when I was searching for soil amendments and additives for the soil I'm planning on mixing up this week sometime and ok 1000 are 50-60$ but the idk what about the 500 I found in places where i knew they would be yesterday 1 being the place I throw most of the old and left over food out soooo are they going to do anything for the soil and stuff I threw in there or what and I read that the composting red wigglers reproduction is very fast I'm wondering for just 1 box to experiment with to decide on to do a few more and the coffee thing I'm gonna do that regardless and start a natural compost super soil site that I throw them in rotate mix etc because after a year probably be a truck bed load of coffee grounds lol but those natural ones guess I'm going to watch it and see what happens and decide then to feed them to Chomper and buy a 20$ if those special worms and let them do there work and watch the difference after a week we will see I guess any comments on this whole deal?

Some pictures of the experiment bin of mystery worms Chomper is going to have food for days after this experiment lol be a 😃🐢
20220422_124803.jpg
20220422_124812.jpg
20220422_124754.jpg
20220422_125828.jpg

I used an old chest freezer and then an old fridge with my diy drain plumbing into a 5 gallon bucket ... the doors need a lot of ventilation holes because you need your door to keep your worms from escaping during the night, and they will and possums and coons will devastate your box if let in.

My grandfather used old chest freezers to raise Night Crawlers. He sold the night crawlers to bait stores. We had lots of places to fish around us and everybody knew my Grandfather. He was a fresh water commercial fisherman in north east Texas.
He taught me a lot about different ways to catch big fish. We spent a lot of time on Rivers and Lakes. Boy could I tell you some stories about big fking fish and big ass water moccasins.

we are mixing worm **** in our ProMix like we have been doing for awhile

and we raised red worms and harvested our own castings for a couple of years

and then the worms all slowly died

we had a funeral and do not raise worms no more

my dad taught me to pound worms for bait

here is how it works…..I lived next to the Osage River in Warsaw Missouri a long time ago and I walked about a half mile down a dirt road to get to the river

on the way down there I passed by a plowed field along the river and when I spotted a downed tree near the bank of the river I walked across the field and crawled under the branches of the tree

usually big old cottonwood trees

then I broke off a limb of the tree , about 3-4 foot long , and then raked away the leaves to expose the dirt in a 3-4 foot circle

then I commenced to pounding on the ground in the area I just cleared

in about 20 minutes I could just about fill a 1 gallon coffee can full of big river worms

then I would go run and bait all my limb lines

we are mixing worm **** in our ProMix like we have been doing for awhile

and we raised red worms and harvested our own castings for a couple of years

and then the worms all slowly died

we had a funeral and do not raise worms no more

my dad taught me to pound worms for bait

here is how it works…..I lived next to the Osage River in Warsaw Missouri a long time ago and I walked about a half mile down a dirt road to get to the river

on the way down there I passed by a plowed field along the river and when I spotted a downed tree near the bank of the river I walked across the field and crawled under the branches of the tree

usually big old cottonwood trees

then I broke off a limb of the tree , about 3-4 foot long , and then raked away the leaves to expose the dirt in a 3-4 foot circle

then I commenced to pounding on the ground in the area I just cleared

in about 20 minutes I could just about fill a 1 gallon coffee can full of big river worms

then I would go run and bait all my limb lines
Never heard of this. Going to look it up now. That’s cool. My old neighbor had a big black plastic container of worms in her dining room. She didn’t use them for anything she said she just raises them…

Never heard of this. Going to look it up now. That’s cool. My old neighbor had a big black plastic container of worms in her dining room. She didn’t use them for anything she said she just raises them…
Yes worm grunting. They do it with a stick to vibrate the ground like a mole would. My dad use to dump mommas dish water on the ground in the front yard and put a bucket over it. In the morning we had worms under the bucket

Great idea big sir and good stories everyone so I'm thinking I'm gonna just let them do there thing keep adding compost scraps and make a tea out of all the stuff in a month or so and use it on the plants and not spend 50$ on worms and throw it at the dirt I'm still going to get grounds from the coffee shop and start a little protect with it I believe because those grounds always make good tea for veg cycle but I was reading they were talking about that they double and green really fast so I was thinking I could get away with it but might as well just stick to what I know it's going to be a nice little experiment to see what the compost tea from the worms do in a month tho guess we will see

Walt we use to go out to Beavers Bend in the fall. My grandfather would take steel rods hammer them into the ground and take another iron rod and start beating on the side of the ones in the ground. You could actually here the night crawlers in the leaves. We took big buckets started moving leaves and grabbing worms. We could feel up a bucket quick fast and in a hurry. WE sold some to bait shops and the rest went into his worm farms. And by the way,,better watch out for Copperheads moving leaves and grabbing worms. :oops: :vampire:

Damn Big you bring back memories. Trout lines and clorex bottles with a Jon boat in River tributaries. Ah to be a boy in the late 50's through the 60's.

trot lines, that is what we called them …we ran them in small creeks or inlets where we could tie them off shore to shore

I ran limb lines when I didn’t have access to a John boat or any boat , Johns , Jacks , Leroy’s ……..all I did was make a line of heavy string and a 2-3 foot leader of 10lb test line and a big hook

put a big worm or small perch on it and find a tree with branches hanging out in the water……tie the string to a flexible limb and toss the bait into the water

never ran a trout line….does it work on all species of trout or only rainbows?

Latest posts

Back