Worms indoors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta9

Psychonaut
Reaction score
I was digging up my mothers garden and discovered some HUGE worms in the soil beds there which got me wondering..

Is anyone using worms for their indoor grow?

Their activity and waste product have such well documented benefits for MJ ..surely our plants would love their company?

Would they survive the indoor environment?

I am sure this is not a new idea-I have just never heard of anyone doing it.

Worm castings (****) is awesome in the soil. Not the worms.

Worm castings (****) is awesome in the soil. Not the worms.

Hi yes I use worm castings in my soil mix- and I realise-maybe this is a dumb question-
But if worm castings are work so great- WHY NOT live worms?

As I see it-not only would they produce waste[castings] but also aerate the soil?

I should be clear-Im not thinking of just tossing live worms into my pots lol

Im just curious as to whether -if you provided the right environment for them i.e. food for them to eat - wouldn't they condition the soil and therefore be of some benefit to MJ plants indoors?

Even after reading the page you linked, I still do not think it is a great idea. I'm not sure they really understand how organic grows work? First of all it more appeared that they are making a habitat for the worms and not the plants. Plants cannot use the coffee grounds, tea bags, and other things you are supposed to put into the container to feed the worms. The worms have to eat the garbage first and then **** it out to make worm castings or the food has to break down--a process that can cause the soil to heat up and takes weeks or months to accomplish. You also need to keep the soil too moist to grow cannabis well--a 70-80% moisture is simply too high and the soil needs to dry out between waterings, something the worms cannot tolerate. Your grow would have to be totally organic, which isn't bad, but it would just be one of the requirements for worm growth. Another problem is that the worms like dark at night so you could not use this with vegging plants. I just really see no up sides. A good soil mixture will provide the aeration you need without you having to choose between the correct environment for the worms and the correct environment for your cannabis as they are not the same.

If you are interested in raising worms, you should do that. I have a small worm bin called Can-O-Worms that works very well for raising red wigglers. I then put the worm castings in my organic soils.

I have an indoor worm bin works great.

I once put some red wigglers in with some girls. They survived but you are still better off with a worm bin.
The girls were potted totally organic with spikes. I am surmizing that they lived off the spikes.

Latest posts

Back