Would like some input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e2paradise said:
you need SPAM REMOVED AGAIN??// we are LED grow light manufacture, so can you tell me the growing area???? i will calucate which light is suitable for you

ps...I can't spell, but I can ...'calucate'.... :p

Real smooth sales pitch Ex-Lax........we don't dig spam here.

Hamster Lewis said:
Real smooth sales pitch Ex-Lax........we don't dig spam here.

What amazes me is the "i cant spell but i can calculate". Don't most web browsers have built in spell checkers? That's how i don't look like a total idiot.

LordiBongtheNaked said:
What amazes me is the "i cant spell but i can calculate". Don't most web browsers have built in spell checkers? That's how i don't look like a total idiot.
:eek:... me too LBN.. me too... maybe the lights aren't bright enough to see it ..:confused2:

A few thoughts to consider . . .
LED lighting will provide a precise spectral "notch" of blue & red wavelengths of light, which the plants do need (green is the least effective color / wavelength for plant growth).

HOWEVER . . . LED lighting only provides a limited range of lumens (intensity of light) over distance ratio, and though they may look bright to the human eye, the plant, especially our favorite herb which tends to develop into a bushy, highly dense branching structure, actually only "sees" a surprisingly small window of light that it can use.

The reason halide lighting tends to yield better results, at least for this type of plant, is that that lumen density over distance is very high, and can penetrate even a dense plant structure with extremely intense light which the plant will "see", and utilize.

The tradeoff here is that the spectral output of the halide lamps yields a ratio of needed red and blue range wavelengths, but also produces quite a bit of light in other less relevant wavelengths, colors the plant will not utilize, and also a lot of infrared heat energy.

What you are looking for is the absolute maximum lumen density possible in the color ranges that the plant can actually use.

Well, I hope this is useful / makes sense.

A side note . . .

Of all the variables that will really make a difference in what the plants will respond to and benefit from, high quality, precisely measured nutrients are a top priority.

I can't stress this enough . . .

Lighting is important, but of equal, if not greater value is the nutrient regimen provided over the plant's life cycle.

If you have both, the highest lumen density lighting in the right spectral range, and the best nutrients possible . . . you will have spectacular results!

I've seen this myself, and in fact have become so enamored of all this, was convinced to proceed with my own hydro setup.

LordiBongtheNaked said:
It is my friend and I doing the work, and its his house so hes got to know.

From what I have read and seen, the new LED lights are able to handle flowering well I appreciate the insight and will certainly do some more digging to see what i can come up with however. Do you have anywhere you can point me or personal experience? Most of what i have come up with has been some pretty nice results.

I will take a look into DWC.

Thanks for the tips.

just my 2 cents but................

LED.....is not the way to go...you'd be better off with a dimmable digi ballast, that is hps/mh switchable.....even magnetic ballast are better!!

also....go soilless, get a basic nute...house and garden, cyco are great and easy...also dont forget the small bottle of drip clean, ml eyedropper, ph pen, molasses! set up a gravity feed dripper for 4 plants, no biggie, and your set!!!

happy growing!
Kush

happy growing!

PM me, I got 2 buddies that own a shop and will ship everything i mentioned at a better deal you will get anywhere in the country!!!!

LordiBongtheNaked said:
I do not have access to property suitable for the grow if i did i would have been doing this long ago. He has the space I have the time. The grow was actually his idea i was asked to help.

The size of the space is not set in stone nor the size of the grow. The space will be custom built for what ever the final plan is.

Everything so far is in the planning stages, I want to do this right, which of course means plenty of research.

While not posting links, i have found a number of grow journals online (I looked into the postings, some were obviously supported by light manufactures others seemed far more legit) using LED lighting, but again i will not claim to know anything just starting to formulate the final design.

I believe i may be better of rephrasing my questions a little more open ended:

The bare bones that I have to work with (and would love any input on)

The grow is my friend and I, and is for personal use.

The grow will be done in a basement, the room we are going to use is heated and will be closed off from the rest of the basement. Inside this room we plan to build a grow closet (there are few limits on size for this as everything can be built to suit the need). I am looking at doing some form of hydroponics however soil is not out of the question either. The idea is low maintenance and good crops.

What would you suggest for a target number of plants for this scenario and what growing method (hydro/soil)? If hydro which style do you personally prefer?

How large a grow closet would you suggest creating for the above set up?

What would your suggested lighting set up be for that system?

I am sure there are more questions i will run into, i will never claim to be an expert. Any and all input and suggestions are appreciated.

............Also......FYI...Hydro is far from low maintenance.....Drain to waste is low maintenance!!! drip fed!!!!

and no need for heat in the room......heat is your enemy in a grow room!!!

to really help you bro, a pic of the room, specs of the room, how much $$$ u have to spend on the setup....

FYI....for every 1000w...its gonna cost close to that in dollars!!! if its done right..if you want great buds and yeilds.....not all ghetto!!!

i dont use less than 1000w bulb for anything but my fresh cut clones....a 2ft 4 bulb T5...and 6x 1000w....4k flower, 2k veg!!! solid sugar coated buds every time!!!

Kushluvr said:
............Also......FYI...Hydro is far from low maintenance.....Drain to waste is low maintenance!!! drip fed!!!!

and no need for heat in the room......heat is your enemy in a grow room!!!

to really help you bro, a pic of the room, specs of the room, how much $$$ u have to spend on the setup....

FYI....for every 1000w...its gonna cost close to that in dollars!!! if its done right..if you want great buds and yeilds.....not all ghetto!!!

i dont use less than 1000w bulb for anything but my fresh cut clones....a 2ft 4 bulb T5...and 6x 1000w....4k flower, 2k veg!!! solid sugar coated buds every time!!!

Thanks for the input. The grow space is actually going to be fully customized based on the final plan that i come up with. The house has a section of the basement that is out of the way which will be the grow space. We are going to build a fake wall to create the room it self, then inside the room individual grow chambers will be built. I am thinking at this point of making the flowering room somewhere between 4X4 and 5x5, even though we are starting slow (probably only 2 or 3 plants), this would allow us to expand out lighting as we get our feet wet. As more funds become available a smaller veg space will be built as well.

As for growing method, at least to start I am going to steer my friend towards a DWC system to start. While there is a fair amount of work involved in maintaining it, with us starting slow (small numbers) this feels like the most flexible system (other then soil) for us to use (I am always open to input)

Lighting I am leaning towards either traditional lighting, or possibly using LEDs but supplementing them during flowering.

Thankfully this will be an ongoing project that we will keep adding on to and no final decisions have been made. I do greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Random question. From a power consumption point of view (and getting caught). We are doing this grow in a newly purchased house, as soon as my friend moves in actually. Would it be wise to establish high power usage immediately in the house so when the prep is done and we hook up the lights there wouldn't be as much of a difference? or am i over thinking this?

Using MH for vegging is wasting elec and money on lighting not really needed, you will get great results from vegging under T5's while also saving $$....jmho (and many others lol)

Most here say not to worry about being busted for elec usage, not likely to happen!!

LordiBongtheNaked said:
Thanks for the input. The grow space is actually going to be fully customized based on the final plan that i come up with. The house has a section of the basement that is out of the way which will be the grow space. We are going to build a fake wall to create the room it self, then inside the room individual grow chambers will be built. I am thinking at this point of making the flowering room somewhere between 4X4 and 5x5, even though we are starting slow (probably only 2 or 3 plants), this would allow us to expand out lighting as we get our feet wet. As more funds become available a smaller veg space will be built as well.

As for growing method, at least to start I am going to steer my friend towards a DWC system to start. While there is a fair amount of work involved in maintaining it, with us starting slow (small numbers) this feels like the most flexible system (other then soil) for us to use (I am always open to input)

Lighting I am leaning towards either traditional lighting, or possibly using LEDs but supplementing them during flowering.

Thankfully this will be an ongoing project that we will keep adding on to and no final decisions have been made. I do greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Random question. From a power consumption point of view (and getting caught). We are doing this grow in a newly purchased house, as soon as my friend moves in actually. Would it be wise to establish high power usage immediately in the house so when the prep is done and we hook up the lights there wouldn't be as much of a difference? or am i over thinking this?

Forget the LEDs.

No, you do not have to establish high power usage. The power company doesn't care. Just don't steal power and pay your bills on time. Besides, your set up will probably use less energy than a large hot tub.

LordiBongtheNaked said:

Howdy. DWC sounds good, a buddy started with DWC and had great results. t-5's for veg and hps for flower here, don't know anything but what I've heard about LED's. I'm a little surprised that in all the talk about hydro there was only one mention of PH pen and nothing about PPM??? If you do hydro your most important tools (IMO) are your digital PH meter, and your digital PPM meter. If you "guess" at these numbers you will be chasing ghosts for your whole grow.

I had a 2x4 flood tray with a 400 hps that produced around 8 ounces every 2 months. I now use the CAP ebb & gro system in a 5x5 room, 1000w HPS, and get around 24 ounces every 2 months. 6 plants

GET YOUR METERS :)

Budders Keeper said:
Howdy. DWC sounds good, a buddy started with DWC and had great results. t-5's for veg and hps for flower here, don't know anything but what I've heard about LED's. I'm a little surprised that in all the talk about hydro there was only one mention of PH pen and nothing about PPM??? If you do hydro your most important tools (IMO) are your digital PH meter, and your digital PPM meter. If you "guess" at these numbers you will be chasing ghosts for your whole grow.

I had a 2x4 flood tray with a 400 hps that produced around 8 ounces every 2 months. I now use the CAP ebb & gro system in a 5x5 room, 1000w HPS, and get around 24 ounces every 2 months. 6 plants

GET YOUR METERS :)

Yeah the meters will be among the first purchases. We are going to start reasonably slow, then work our way from there as we gain experience. We are very lucky to a flexible space to work with so the potential for some wonderful things down the road is definitely there.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Forget the LEDs.

No, you do not have to establish high power usage. The power company doesn't care. Just don't steal power and pay your bills on time. Besides, your set up will probably use less energy than a large hot tub.

Thank you for the insight. I wasn't sure if i was being paranoid or not.

After you decide how big a space you will use for this and what type of method of gro, you need to look seriously at ventilation for the grow. Your plants need fresh air to breath just like you do. The better the air is for them, the better they will grow and yeild. A lack of fresh CO2 will translate to less yeild.

Also, that room is going to build heat within its space. Having it in an enclosed room where it isn't exposed to cold will allow it to build heat and humidity quickly. The answer to both of these is ventilation. Most peeps here like to have one exaust fan that pulls fresh, cool air through the lights to keep them cool, and if the space is big enough another exaust fan to pull out the warm stale air and pull in fresh air. You don't need to put fans on the air coming into the grow space. If you use exausting fan(s) to pull air from the room, you will be able to have passive air intake.

You need to consider how you will cool and replenish the air in your grow space before getting started. I actually use AC in the summer time but I also have air pulling from outside to refresh the air inside (and it can get challenging to ballance the temps and fresh air sometimes) Just some food for thought :)

Wow sounds really like my problems about 3 months ago, what to get, how to do it. All I knew is i wanted to grow. And yes MP was a big help even tho i just sulked in the background reading, not even a member at the time. Research and info you have gotten should have you on your way if you heed the advice given. I too started with 1 grow space a 6x4 and 7.5 tall with 8 nice sized clones, but i went with a 1000w to make sure i lit that box up. Soon i realized i need another room to grow seeds from and to veg. Another sealed room was made right next to the other, both light proof from eachother but share a cooling system for both hooded reflectors. And thats where i made my first mistake. i got another 1000w light to veg and its just overkill. I do have a 4'4bulb t5 light im my closed where i started seeds, but i wish i would have just got 2 of thoes it would have coverd most of the 4x6 area. Btw i went with soil for my first grow more forgiving and i didnt know what nutes i was going with at first or what suppliments i would need and good soil brands usually have enfu nutes for a few weeks

Hushpuppy said:
After you decide how big a space you will use for this and what type of method of gro, you need to look seriously at ventilation for the grow. Your plants need fresh air to breath just like you do. The better the air is for them, the better they will grow and yeild. A lack of fresh CO2 will translate to less yeild.

Also, that room is going to build heat within its space. Having it in an enclosed room where it isn't exposed to cold will allow it to build heat and humidity quickly. The answer to both of these is ventilation. Most peeps here like to have one exaust fan that pulls fresh, cool air through the lights to keep them cool, and if the space is big enough another exaust fan to pull out the warm stale air and pull in fresh air. You don't need to put fans on the air coming into the grow space. If you use exausting fan(s) to pull air from the room, you will be able to have passive air intake.

You need to consider how you will cool and replenish the air in your grow space before getting started. I actually use AC in the summer time but I also have air pulling from outside to refresh the air inside (and it can get challenging to ballance the temps and fresh air sometimes) Just some food for thought :)

It will require some work, but we have access to plenty of fresh air we can intake to the room. Each grow chamber will be individually vented and are going to have an AC unit available in the space if needed.

Thanks for the input :)

Sl4ck3rThcGrower said:
Wow sounds really like my problems about 3 months ago, what to get, how to do it. All I knew is i wanted to grow. And yes MP was a big help even tho i just sulked in the background reading, not even a member at the time. Research and info you have gotten should have you on your way if you heed the advice given. I too started with 1 grow space a 6x4 and 7.5 tall with 8 nice sized clones, but i went with a 1000w to make sure i lit that box up. Soon i realized i need another room to grow seeds from and to veg. Another sealed room was made right next to the other, both light proof from eachother but share a cooling system for both hooded reflectors. And thats where i made my first mistake. i got another 1000w light to veg and its just overkill. I do have a 4'4bulb t5 light im my closed where i started seeds, but i wish i would have just got 2 of thoes it would have coverd most of the 4x6 area. Btw i went with soil for my first grow more forgiving and i didnt know what nutes i was going with at first or what suppliments i would need and good soil brands usually have enfu nutes for a few weeks

Sounds about where i am in the planning right now. Need to go smoke a bowl with my buddy and go over some of this and see what he thinks.

Latest posts

Back