Wow first Indica grow... goodbye sativa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVD1983

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience growing a couple of Indica plants indoor for the first time... compared to the sativa

Also wondering what other people’s experiences or opinions may be between the 2...

My set up:
I use a grow room in my garage. (Dimensions H2400 L1800 W1000)
1 x 600w HPS light
Charcoal filter
2 x quality air pumps (1 per tub)
Pedestal fan
Water pump top feed drip system
Rockwool Slabs
2 x large 50 litre grow tubs (1 plant per tub)

- Both tubs have insert tub/trays with drainage holes at bottom that fits snug into top of the larger.
This design, in my opinion, lets the roots find there way down into the large tub below, and really only uses the rockwool for stem stability.

I use clones and always veg for 4 weeks
Light is 18/6
Growrite A+B chemicals
PH 5.5-7
Watering times 15min every 6 hours!
I change water every 2 weeks!
Light is generally kept 6-8inches from top of plant.

I have tried several techniques when training plants... SCROG, BENDING BRANCHES, TYING DOWN ect.
I’ve found no real advantage or gain to final produce other than maybe easier to manage crowns to light distances with SCROG.

In Flower cycle
I use BUDrite A+B chemicals.
Always only half strength as to back of bottle. I used to use lots but like everyone, learnt that can cause nute burn and other issues. Plus plant doesn’t seem to do any better using/wasting more.

I always change water every 2 weeks. Flushing Ill ALWAYS do last 2 full weeks.

Harvesting plant at the correct time is something every grower must struggle with. Cause I sure have. I was told awhile ago now that easier way without magnifying glasses or technology, was to wait till the leaves on your crown start to yellow and wilt. This advice has worked for me as I used to always get excited and harvest early. Since using this technique I’ve noticed the extra weight and thickness in buds is ridiculous. The plant really fattens up in last that extra week. Highly recommend leaving harvest that extra week than usual just to see the difference!

Personally... I’m Not sure if I will ever bother with the sativa plant again after growing my first Indica indoors.

The Indica, for me was very low maintenance and a hassle free grow, it grew much shorter than the sativa, yet produced larger thicker buds with a higher harvest (23 ounces p/plant)
The stem was much thicker supporting the buds through flower cycle without having to constantly tie up.
Flowering was a lot quicker (8weeks)
Also Trimming was nearly non existent.

Ive found the sativa to be mostly difficult to control grow enviroment. Main issue has been Sativa likes to stretch when in flower, creating major height/light issues. Even after several grows, keeping grow cycle shorter. Same issue every time.
Always had weak looking thin stems, which never filled out or fattened up like indica has.
It took several weeks longer to finish flowering cycle (9-11 weeks) and produced anywhere from (15-18ounces p/plant)
A LOT more trimming involved.

If anyone reads this and has different thoughts... would love to hear! Cheers

7845D568-5BBC-4A5A-96D4-983709FBE6B0.jpeg
Current grow 2nd Indica
Nearly 6weeks into flower

Here are some older sativa grows. Grow room has been modified since these were taken
29A3043B-09DA-4ABB-938A-4FA6C1AE74BA.jpeg

33E78169-F02F-47C8-8DCC-52D6DD3B1A22.jpeg
257B6F3D-23A0-44BE-B92F-C902F8E9DBC2.jpeg
3D962625-0A54-4E22-9DEA-C74A39D1B202.jpeg
8503E4FC-A214-4FBA-8B12-4B4C948EF64C.jpeg
A97A89AC-E09E-493E-86CB-CBA4BF862BEC.jpeg

Attachments

• A38A316F-EF1D-4D14-A3C0-76DB2E234AC7.jpeg
    A38A316F-EF1D-4D14-A3C0-76DB2E234AC7.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 31
Indica leaning hybrids rock my socks dude. They are so.... agreeable? Lol ohhey yeah we're good! Nope no interest in crawling up into the light! Just gonna chill down here n get fat!

That came out nice, happy gardening!
How good are they? I been wondering why it’s taken me this long to figure all this out :)

How good are they? I been wondering why it’s taken me this long to figure all this out :)
I don't know; haven't smoked them lol. You tell us! ; )
They look very good and if they taste good and make you happy and you had fun growing them, well you have succeeded! That is a crop to be proud of.

Thanks for sharing the info. I've just been learning the same lesson about indicas. Yours look good. If you don't mind my asking, what indica did you grow?

Just 2 mate. 1 clone in each tub. I’ve always wondered if I grew more plants but veg less how it would go. Something I may try down track
I Grow 6 in about the same area and only veg for 7 -10 days I have tried with 2 and veg longer I get about the same product each way just saves a couple days on veg , nice grow

Indicas have been best in every way for my low-watt parameters. Spanish genetics have been super greasy.

Thanks for sharing the info. I've just been learning the same lesson about indicas. Yours look good. If you don't mind my asking, what indica did you grow?
Sorry mate, I couldn’t tell ya. I’d be lying if I did.
My friend gave me the clones originally off her mother plant. Said she ordered them online ages ago but because she ordered a few different types shes just forgotten.

I Grow 6 in about the same area and only veg for 7 -10 days I have tried with 2 and veg longer I get about the same product each way just saves a couple days on veg , nice grow
Yeah nice, shorter veg sounds pretty good to me. Think I’ll go that way next time. An I ask what type of system your using to get 6 in an area that size? The tubs I’m using wouldn’t fit to well. Cheers

Crocket - I hope to be closing on selling my house and settling into a new place soon- We talked about some seed when I got set back up -- Looks like I'll just be moving the whole grow instead of starting from scratch --So it won't take me long ! --- When it comes to seed ?-- If U willing to catch them ? I'm willing to throw them at U !-- Just give me a little longer to get things straightened up ?-- Down Under need indica seed and I got what they need ! -Some OFC genetics born and bred in Texas with the jack boot of prohibition on my throat !-- Collecting seed for a new one now !- I call it "The Mudhole Pink"--
(The White -x- Nepal Indica) -x- BBSL) -x- (Snow Desiel -x- Black Berry)-- The BBSL carry the Pink trait ! -- I bred it in this mudhole where I'm staying until I can sell the house and buy another

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah nice, shorter veg sounds pretty good to me. Think I’ll go that way next time. An I ask what type of system your using to get 6 in an area that size? The tubs I’m using wouldn’t fit to well. Cheers
put 10 in this grow but turned into a bit of a jungle turned them at 5 days have room for 12 space is 1200mm x 1500mm
IMG_8595.JPG
7.JPG

Latest posts

Back