Wwm/pp/bb/ssh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platii

Reaction score
Hello All,

WWM = White Widow Max
PP = Purple Power
BB = Big Bud
SSH = Super Silver Haze

This my second attempt.
It is the 5th day after germination.
I am using better soil and I think the seeds are really viable, I mean the WWM because they germinate in less than 24 HRS and by the third day the stem is almost 20mm long "3 seeds all of them germinted". But not really for the PP, BB, and SSH.
the PP i germinted 2 seeds one start to have little stem but not the other seed it is been 5 days now in the water. One BB is poped little stem. The SSH none germinate up till today "they were free seeds". I think they are junk seeds.
Anyway the WWM is high quality and they shooted one day after putting them in soil. And now they are 80mm long stem and one has her little first leaves poped out the second one is racing with it the third one is 65mm but on the go.
I am wondering if I should burry some of the stem because I am afraid of they would bend and break. especially that the load will increase when the leaves start growing.
I will be happy to hear your comment, support, advices and questions.
keep posted.:)

20110408001803.jpg

20110408001947.jpg

20110408002025.jpg

more intense light and a fan circulating on them..ASAp..""IMO"
Two things cause that kind of stretch... not enough lights and not enough air circulation.. ;)

What kind of lighting and how close is it?
It looks like you need more, seedlings stretch for light.

Got a small fan?

thank you for the advices.
I got a MH 400W and it is not in a box. the bulb is bertically positioned and the bottom of it is about 45cm and ir was forward of the pots about 100cm.
I am afraid of burning the plants.
ok, now i moved the plants under the light directly with a 45cm distance from the bottom of the light. I will have to make a box for the light. Another thing this bulb works without a ballast so I am assuming it is not giving the full power. the proplem is we dont have those special MH ina box or with the covers like those in the garden stores online. the only thing I know there is , is that like a projector light in the soccer field with a MH 400 W inside and a ballast, I can buy it if it is better if not i may import a grow light online.
For the air circulation I have none, but the room i am in has wall Aircondition working all the time. but the plants are under it directly so I dont thing it blows directly over them.
Do I need to burry the stem, if yes for how much. the stem is 80mm now.

platii said:
I got a MH 400W and it is not in a box. Another thing this bulb works without a ballast so I am assuming it is not giving the full power.

Then its not a MH.

Growdude,
The bulb is MH it is written on the box. But as I said this kind is gesigned to work without a ballast. May be thats why it is not giving strong light because the the ballast will maximize the light power. Also u cant use a ballast on this type of a bulb, there is another type which looks the same were u can a ballast. Thats what I need to consider to buy. Will see Today. I do have a light with a cover and a ballast built in in my garage brand new. I will bring and check the light density comparing to the the type with no a ballast.

ALL "hid and florescent bulbs" require a ballast... ALL....
it may be built in as part of your fixture, but it IS there.. if it's hid

Please take a picture of what you have. That will sort it out.

back weedrz,,

i do well understand what u guys think of.
the realty is what i said it is a metal halide bulb that it work with no ballast nor capasitor. check out the picture of the bulb and the socket " i just disconnected the wire which was hooked to the elec plug directly, and this bulb work this. the other bulb design required a ballast and a capasitor before you hook it up to the elec plug, and thats what i got today with different type bulb that required a ballast and a capasitor before you hook it up to the elec plug. look at the second picture but hey plz dont laugh because thats the only thing I could found in my area,OK. Now the light is so intense on the plants but the heat is too much . I raised it to aprox 75cm after i did the hand heat test. i hope they wont burn by tomorrow.

20110409004427.jpg

20110409012119.jpg

The round thing above the reflector in the second picture...that's the ballast.

A pic is worth a thousand words and those 1000 words wld say that you indeed have a bulb with a ballast....:holysheep:

platii said:
back weedrz,,

i do well understand what u guys think of.
the realty is what i said it is a metal halide bulb that it work with no ballast nor capasitor. check out the picture of the bulb and the socket " i just disconnected the wire which was hooked to the elec plug directly, and this bulb work this. the other bulb design required a ballast and a capasitor before you hook it up to the elec plug, and thats what i got today with different type bulb that required a ballast and a capasitor before you hook it up to the elec plug. look at the second picture but hey plz dont laugh because thats the only thing I could found in my area,OK. Now the light is so intense on the plants but the heat is too much . I raised it to aprox 75cm after i did the hand heat test. i hope they wont burn by tomorrow.

yup that's a hid/mh "high-bay" light, and Roddy is correct. That round portion above the reflector is the ballast.
Do you have a fan running in there at all?
Heat could be at least partially dissipated by remoting the ballast, removing it from the fixture and moving it outside of the grow area. They produce a "lot" of heat.

:) guys the second pic is what i got today. a light with a ballast as i mentioned yesterday that i was going to get.

The first picture is what i was using a light bulb with no ballast. Thats when I said I have a light or a MH with no ballast. they are different set ups.
I hope i am clear now.
Oh I had to edit on the fan point.
That a good idea Hick,, I think I will buy it tommorow " a FAN" Thank You for reminding me.
keep it up:)

Show us a picture of what that bulb plugs into in the first pic then, that's not the entire set-up. That bulb will not run without a ballast, as said!

platii said:
back weedrz,,

check out the picture of the bulb and the socket " i just disconnected the wire which was hooked to the elec plug directly, and this bulb work this..

the entire set up as in the first pic plus a wire chord and a plug, which connected directly to the elc wall plug. The bulb manufacture is VISION from germany. They do have two types of bulbsthats work with or without a ballast and a capasitor. I checked the internet for website link but i havnt found anything. If u r a good internet searcher may be u will find it, I will visit the shop tommorow to have a look on the bulb cover to see if any website link is avaliable.

hIck
I think the heat is coming from the light intensity, it is a good hint too.
The fan would do great if i directed in between the reflector and the plant top.
By the way the grow room is air conditioned to aprox 25C.

Okay, you're either dealing with a bulb that is less than 400 watts, or the fixture has internal ballast... 400 watts will not run on 120... Not even inefficiently... There has to be close to the rating of the bulb or there isn't enough power to kick the system on... Maybe a 125 watt bulb? Seems small for a 400 too...

Hey platii what country are you from? Like Gm420 said that can't be a 400 watt bulb with no ballast and it just plugs into a regular wall socket....what voltage do you have coming out of your wall?

Gixxerman420 said:
Okay, you're either dealing with a bulb that is less than 400 watts, or the fixture has internal ballast... 400 watts will not run on 120... Not even inefficiently... There has to be close to the rating of the bulb or there isn't enough power to kick the system on... Maybe a 125 watt bulb? Seems small for a 400 too...

the argue here is not about the light intensity. Hick already suggested that the stretch would caused by low light intensity so the plants are stretching to get enough light, and I recognized that and today i got a new set up that has alight, ballast, and a capasitor which means complete MH system to get the maximum light intensity out of a 400W MH bulb and it is the second pic that has a reflector, now the light required subject is closed by doing that.
the mean discussion is that the guys thought that I did have a bulb with a ballast but in fact I didnt, I had a bulb that esigned to work without a ballast and a capasitor which sounded weird to them, may be because they never heard of such a system exist or heard of a manufacturer that produce a bulb rated 400W that works without a ballast and a capasitor, but this company "VISION from germany" does make such a bulb, and I showed the bulb in the first pic that has a socket only and a wire chord to the elec plug" I bought the bulb, socket, and a wire separetly", and you cannot use it with a ballast, the other bulb design you cannot use without a ballast. If you choose the bulb that work without a ballast you wont get the light intensity as the type with a ballast.
FYI both were plugged to a 220V elec plug " I dont live in the states"
hope it is clear now.:)

Latest posts

Back