Yellow edges and curling under at the ends please help my little babies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Swordfreak

Please some one help, i am growing 6 Oasis seedlings under a 600w HPS, in a hydropod ebb and flow system, the temp is staying between 65 and 80 at all times, running the light 24 hours a day (cus me timer broke), using formulex to a cf rating of 12 and ph at 5.5, growing in rockwool cubes 11 days old now, 5 have 3 good leaves and starting 4th and one is only just starting its third and is 2 inches smaller, the leaves on the smaller ones are yellow, and three of the other plants have yellow edges and the leaves are curling under at the ends, humidity is staying in the region of 85-90 inside the propagator, had a disaster after 2 days of germinating cus esoteric hydro told me to put the fan on the propagator to keep it cool, the light is a good 3-4 feet away from the plants canope, but it was getting hot, so i did that and overnight the Relative Humidity fell from 90 to 30, 3 of my babies died becaue of that and the rest recover quite well but were ovbiously slowed down due to it, i got a feeling i might be subconsiously overwatering them so i started leaving them 3 days inbetween before watering them, checking the rockwool everyday though, oh ye and when should i open the vents in the propagator to get some fresh air in there? Cheers

I started my plants about 10 days ago, under a 600w HPS, in a propagator with a fan keeping the environment around the propagator cool as the temp was getting too high at first, after getting advise from esoteric hydroponics they first told me to have the fan blowing directly onto the propagator but that caused the humidity to drop from 90 to 30 RH overnight and this stressed out the plants big time, out of the nine that germinated 6 have survived that terrible mistake but are starting to get better, the seeds are oasis from dutch passion by the way, the seedlings have 3 sets of leaves and starting there fourth (good leaves that is) all except for one seedling which is only 2 inches compared to the rest that are 4 inches, the edge of the leaves have turned yellow and are starting to curl under, on a few of the healthier plants they are showing signs of this too, can anyone help it will be much appreciated. I got ph and cf meters too, and a min max hygrometer and thermometer. Ph at 5.5 and cf at 12.
Cheers

Your PH is too low. In my link is a PH chart link. Here is some other questions that may help.

If hydro what type bubble, ebb and flo, etc.?
ferts/nutes used?
What stage of growth?
Grow area size and ventilation?
Any other measurements that may be useful like PPm, EC, CF, etc.?
lighting schedule?

I'm also gonna move this over to the nursery section for you.
I'll let the hydro guys take it from here.
Good luck. :)

Hey mutt im using the hydropod ebb and flow, the manufacturer recommended that level could it be too high because they are only in rockwool at the moment.
Thanks

Swordfreak said:
Hey mutt im using the hydropod ebb and flow, the manufacturer recommended that level could it be too high because they are only in rockwool at the moment.
Thanks
Hey SF, what type of nutes are you using? Have you mixed them correctly? Lot's of time folks like to add some extra. That can be deadly in Hydro.

Also, your pH needs to be between 6.2 and 6.8

That is probably most of your problem.

Hey stoney bud, thanks for helping us out, you guys are great so the oh should be 6.2 even in rockwool? Im using formulex, and keeping it at cf of 12.
Thanks

Also there is one thing i am getting confuzzled about, i watched a video tutorial about germination, the guy said test the water before nutrients to show dead salts and then take that reading half it and add 12 and that is what you want to be aiming for with my cf meter, the background salts are 7 in my plain cold tap water so i said 3 + 12 = 15 and set it to that does that sound right?
Cheers

Swordfreak said:
Also there is one thing i am getting confuzzled about, i watched a video tutorial about germination, the guy said test the water before nutrients to show dead salts and then take that reading half it and add 12 and that is what you want to be aiming for with my cf meter, the background salts are 7 in my plain cold tap water so i said 3 + 12 = 15 and set it to that does that sound right?
Cheers
All of that sounds way too complicated man. The pH needs to be between 6.2 and 6.8 no matter what you're growing in.

In hydro, there are no built up salts to worry about if you mix your nutes correctly. I germinate my seeds between ten layers of paper towels in a dark cupboard with plain tap water. All that math isn't necessary man. A simple pH and proper nutes is all you need. Use the KIS method. KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I use the General Hydroponics "Flora" three part nutes in my Ebb and Flow and have never had a single problem. I don't even bother with pH tests any more. I've never had to adjust. I use the "Hard Water" Micro nutes they have.

Good luck to you man. Get that pH up to where it needs to be and your plants will be just fine.

Thanks mate really appreciate the advice will be changing the water next time i water the little guys, hopefully get some picks to show you guys too, sept me step mom nicked me camera so, gona have to get a new one, i will keep you posted with how they develop after changing the ph.

Pic1
pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

Swordfreak said:
will be changing the water next time i water the little guys....
GUYS????? :eek: Holy Crap! Tell me it's just an expression!!!!!!

LMAO!!!, ok then lil gals then, they feminized so hopefully they all ladies, what you think wrong with em from the pics then.

Swordfreak said:
LMAO!!!, ok then lil gals then, they feminized so hopefully they all ladies, what you think wrong with em from the pics then.
Whewwwwwwww! You had me thinkin you were some kind of pot pervert! Raisin guys! The very thought of it!!!!!!!:D

It looks to me like you've over fertilized them. The low pH may be the actual culprit however. The plant can't properly take up nutes when the pH is outside the window as yours has been. Get that pH adjusted and make sure you mix your nutes EXACTLY by measure as described by the manufacturer for an Ebb and Flow grow. Contact them if you have any doubt and make sure you tell them you're using a Hydro Ebb and Flow. It makes a HUGE difference than with other forms of Hydro and a total difference from dirt.

If that is what your problem is, it should resolve itself in a couple of days. You may want to manualy flush the cubes with fresh water. That will hurry the healing up.

Good luck man.

The PH in the cubes is 7.2 is that too high, cus the lime in the rockwool raises the ph, i will lower the cf solution i use to 12 even with the background salts, so it is ok to flush the rockwool even with the plants in?, sorry if i sound daft a bit of a noob to this, thanks for the help.

Did yo use the insert image button on your post editor?

Swordfreak said:
How come my pics didnt show up there, just links?
When you type a post, scoll down and you'll see "Manage Attachments" That is where you add them to your post. After identifying each of the pics, make sure you click "Upload".

Try again man. You'll get it.

Hers those pcs again and to think i went through all the trouble of uploading em onto yahoo and typing the web address for em. Please take a look and tell me what you think

7d93re2.jpg

2ba9re2.jpg

322cre2.jpg

b269re2.jpg

c5f7re2.jpg

e9fere2.jpg

c3e4re2.jpg

Swordfreak said:
Hers those pcs again and to think i went through all the trouble of uploading em onto yahoo and typing the web address for em. Please take a look and tell me what you think
Sure looks like nute burn to me. What's the highest temperature they've been in? Even for a short time?

Latest posts

Back