yellowing and dying leaves near bottom of plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimmz22

Reaction score
hey all im currently in my second week of flowering and have been noticing several fan leaves and other leaves yelling and dying toward the bottom of my plant. Im growing in 3 gallon Pots using FFOF soil(My plants are about 4ft tall) im also feading them with 2tsp bontanicare pure blend pro. Does anyone think i may be underfeeding them? here are some pictures. +REPS for anyone with a good answer.

P4260001.JPG

P4260002.JPG

P4260003.JPG

P4260004.JPG

P4260005.JPG

I can't say for sure as I am not a soil grower, but that looks relatively normal. From what I have learned here, when they get into flowering the fan leaves get robbed of the available nitrogen as the plant is focusing its energy on building budds. As they go deeper into flowering all of those bigger "fan" leaves will yellow and die. however, in early flower that shouldn't happen hard n fast unless they aren't gettin enough nutes. From the look of the pics, I think yer girls look a bit "spindly", meaning they either aren't getting enough light or nutes or both. Also ph lockout can cause this problem as well. I hope this helps. The sticky threads have a lot of really good information on nutes and what to expect. worth checking out if yu haven't already. Good luck:)

I agree with hushpuppy. I'd say give em plain water twice and see if they respond well. its usually not a deficiency. I run soil and hydro but i start with pro-mix and I know that FF soil has nutes already. I mix 10 gallons promix with (keg cups 16 oz) 3 cups worm castings, 1/2 cup veg or bloom bat guano, 1/2 cup dried kelp, 4 tbs epsom salt and I water with 2 tbs molasses/5gallons h20 and adjust the ph to around 6.5 and have never had a problem. very cheap and very effective the liquids are really just for hydro its like throwing money away using them in soil IMO.

Plants will require a bit of nitrogen in the first couple weeks of flower, if they can't get it from the medium or the nutes delivered thereto they will rob it from the lower leaves.

I'd think this is only in week 2 of budding, it seems a bit early for the leaves to be falling off. That plant has around 6 to 8 weeks of budding left, seems at this rate, she'll be in bad shape.

Hushpuppy, you say this is normal and then go on to say it's a few problems?? It looks like few problems imho, and these can be fixed since it's so early, might help yield even!

Not sure plain water will help here, plain water is for flushing and I don't see these needing flushed?

I am with Roddy here.
I sometimes get early yellowing and leaves dying off which when I check is usually caused by ph issues locking out nitrogen.

I dont usually grow in soil however the principals are the same, check the ph of your run off, and as long as it is in the 6.3/6.8 range (http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1908) I would suggest if you have grow nutes, give them a feeding with them.

Peace & green mojo. W

It is way way too early for yellowing like this. This should be happening in late flowering, not early flowering. What does the bottle say about how much nutrient to put into a gal? Two teaspoons doesn't seem like much--do you check the ppms of your solution? And you are feeding with Botanicare Pure Blend Pro.....what.....Grow or Bloom?

Roddy said:
I'd think this is only in week 2 of budding, it seems a bit early for the leaves to be falling off. That plant has around 6 to 8 weeks of budding left, seems at this rate, she'll be in bad shape.

Hushpuppy, you say this is normal and then go on to say it's a few problems?? It looks like few problems imho, and these can be fixed since it's so early, might help yield even!

Not sure plain water will help here, plain water is for flushing and I don't see these needing flushed?
:eek: Yeah, what I was saying (or tryin to say) is that it is not unusual to see some yellowing at the bottom leaves, especially during flowering for obvious reason, but this level of yellowing at this point looked like it could be deficiency from lack of nutes or ph lockout. I always hesitate to say "its definitely this" because there are so many variables that can cause similar issues. Unfortunately that makes me soumd like a politition sometimes.:doh:

Does your new growth look good if so then. Check your PH tand feed them with the right ph adjusted nutes.

Latest posts

Back