yellowing clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickerdoodle

Reaction score
Greetings, this is my first post to this incredible forum. I was wondering if anyone has some advice for an occasional problem that I have...

My clones are done with General Hydroponics 3 part at a rate of 2.5/2.5/2.5 in rockwool cubes. I have pretty good success, but occasionally, have a yellowing clone with purple stem. This tends to happen about a week to ten days from taking the cutting. Often these clones survive, but I'd like to do better if I can.

Is it possibe that this is just normal as the clone's root system is so undeveloped that it can't absorb enough nutrients?

Will foliar feeding take care of the problem?

Any advice? Thanks.

It happens, some strains are little more sensitive than others. I soak my cubes in a solution of 7.0 water, a drop of peroxide, my homemade cloning solution(condensed willow), and for my misting solution I use a drop or 2 of liquified seaweed. This seems to reduce some of the yellowing, although if you leave alot of larger leaves on the cuts, they will still yellow slightly.

I find 2 things are key to cloning and not getting that yellow. These two things when I supplied cannacare with clones, kept them looking really fresh and lush. As long as they got nutrients right away after being transplanted to medium, no yellowing. Take right off.

1: When the clones are taken, they should be dark green and drunk with nitrogen. I know. Go ahead and say nitrogen slows rooting. I used to think the same. Nope.

2: I use no additives, dont soak the rockwool or pellets in anything special, just water. When I clone, i know it might not make sense for smaller plant counts, but I fill the tray. When its full, i only have to dip the rockwool once after 6 days, then by day 12 roots are coming out everywhere. Te high humidity in the dome, from the thing full of cuts, keeps them really moist. I generally lose 1 or 2 out of a tray. Each tray holds 32.

I spray with nitrozyme after the cut and dip in root tech and soak rapid rooters with pHd 5.8-6.0 600ppm water with some root tech in it. Then put in dome for 5-7 days and BAM.

Never an issue here and I do foliar feed (spray) while in the clone dome.

happy cloning!

Latest posts

Back