Yellowing leaves in seedling stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyriakos

Reaction score
Hello guys!!!

My seedlings inner leaves has started to become light green/yellow and if you look closely on the picture you can see that the tips of the smaller leaves look burnt. I have a 600w MH lamp with cooltube and I raised it 10cm yesterday to be around 50cm from the plant.
I made a mistake and transplanted my seedling too early into bigger pots and the growth has been slow since germination (pic was taken 16 days after sprouted).

I have a problem understanding when the seedling phase ends and when you should start feeding nutrients for the vegetative stage.
Yesterday I gave the plant 50% of recommended nutrient dose to see if the yellowing is because it is time to start feeding.

Could someone help me solve this issue with the yellowing leaves?

View attachment seedling.jpg

well, if you gave it a proper feeding yesterday, it should show some improvement soon enough. I would not recommend adding more ferts now. wait another day or 2 and take a pic. usually if it stopped going downhill, it should be improving

It is best to start seedlings out in smaller containers of soil/medium that no nutrients in it. The seedlings should not need any nutrients until the small first leaves (the seed leaves, known as cotyledons) begin to yellow. These first round seed leaves are the starter nutrients for the seedling so that it has time to develop and toughen up its roots. The soil/medium that your seedling is in looks to be very rich in nutrients. I cant swear to it at this point but it appears to be a nutrient rich soil, and if that is the case, it is probably burning the seedling.

The other possibility is that you have been keeping the soil/medium too wet and the seedling is beginning to drown. This is another reason that it is best to start seedlings out in small containers, it is easier to control the amount of moisture that the plant is getting. During the first couple weeks of life, you only want to keep the soil moist, not wet. I usually add no more than about 5ml of water at a time to my drying medium during the first week of life.

I also noticed that there is a plastic container of some sort in the picture. If that is being used as a humidity dome, I would recommend that you not use that. The humidity from the moisture evaporating from the medium is enough to keep the seedling moist. :)

Thank you for your answers. I will wait for the soil to dry out good before watering again and not feed any more nutrients.
I attach two more pictures, they were taken yesterday. Are the three fingered leaves the second set of leaves in total? In that case, when is the start of the vegetative period and the time to start feeding?

View attachment seedling 2.jpg

View attachment seedling 3.jpg

What brand of nutrients are you using? What kind of soil are they planted in?

The soil is BioBizz All Mix and the nutrients are the Canna series.

Well that is your problem...What is All·Mix®?
All·Mix® is a heavily pre-fertilized soil mixture. It has been designed to emulate rich outdoor soil with a full micro active eco system, but in such a way that it has enough power to sustain lush plant growth for a couple of weeks with no extra fertilizer input required. All·Mix® creates fertile growing conditions throughout the year. All we have to do is provide a perfect environment to encourage the plants to flourish.

- See more at: http://www.biobizz.com/products/organic-substrates/all-mix#sthash.JiGMDNoP.dpuf

Marijuana doesn't like pre nuted soils. We feed when the plant tells us it needs food, not the soil. Change your soil and you will have better results. sorry, but do it soon.

Latest posts

Back