Yellowing leaves...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlo

Reaction score
Hello All,

My brother is growing a feminized orange bud plant and she was doing pretty well until yesterday.

He transplanted the plant after 10 days because the roots were coming out of the bottom of his pot/cup. However, 2 days later her 2 bottom main leaves are turning yellow.

From the leaf deficiency chart, I guesstimating that the yellowing is because a lack of nitrogen. Did the transplant have anything to do with the yellowing? Only the bottom 2 leaves are turning yellow and hoping to stop the yellowing before it gets worse.

I have fox farms nutrients and I've offered him the grow nutrient. He was hoping to wait until after 14 days to begin with nutrients.

As I stated earlier, she has been growing very strong & fast, but now this problem has begun.

What do you guys think about the cause of yellowing of the 2 bottom leaves? What should he do to attempt to fix the problem? Would the fox-farms grow help resolve the problem?

That's a good question. I'll need to ask him. I know that he used bottled water and hasn't added any kind of nutrients or supplements.

I'm still researching a good ph meter. Kel Instruments has one for about $110 plus shipping but it seems pretty good.

bottled water is ~7.0 ph

that is too high and contains no nutes.

My hanna ph meter was like 20$?

if your plants only 14 days old and hasnt been fed i doubt its ph, jmo

probably time to give her some food.

Thanks guys. Therefore, if ph is high, because bottled water is 7.0, then even if he added nitrogen, the roots would not adequately absorb the nutrients? is this correct?

Doesn't hanna ph meter require it to be calibrated and calibration solution must also be bought? That being said, i trust your judgment. I'll quickly look into it.

I have ph down, but i don't want to use it without checking the ph balance with a meter.

Does having a high ph cause yellow leaves?

dman1234 said:
if your plants only 14 days old and hasnt been fed i doubt its ph, jmo

probably time to give her some food.

i would have already fed it if it were mine but i start feeding earlier than most.

slowmo77 said:
i would have already fed it if it were mine but i start feeding earlier than most.

LOL, i would have too. 4th or 5th day usually.

Carlo said:
Thanks guys. Therefore, if ph is high, because bottled water is 7.0, then even if he added nitrogen, the roots would not adequately absorb the nutrients? is this correct?

Doesn't hanna ph meter require it to be calibrated and calibration solution must also be bought? That being said, i trust your judgment. I'll quickly look into it.

I have ph down, but i don't want to use it without checking the ph balance with a meter.

correct.

all meters need calibration once in a while. They come calibrated.

i would go to homedepot and get pH tester
for a pool or something. Make ur pH right asap.

Yes high pH Will cause lockout and yellow leaves.

Carlo said:

Yes, you need a calibration solution.

You didn't say what type of media the plant was moved into. It sounds like a combination of pH lockout maybe and nutrient deprivation.

Getting that pH under control should be your primary consideration and then feeding the plant. The yellow leaves are probably from lack of nutrients.

StoneyBud said:
Ha! You and I made almost exactly the same post. I was typing mine while you posted yours. Pretty cool!
:cool:
great minds think alike

brb need a mornin toke. :48:

He transplanted into a 5-gallon pot. I'm unsure as to the soil that he used. He placed that large 10,000 lumen CFL hanging right over it...However, suddenly his room is somewhat warmer.

I thought that seedlings should not be fed until at least 2-weeks after sprouting? Maybe that's another problem that I'm having with my girls, is that i haven't fed them yet, but they are only 5 days old. I was also planning on waiting until the 14-day period.

its not every plant that can be fed that early, but some definetly can, you have to experiment with some to see what they can handle, but at 14 days with yellowing leaves its prob time to feed, your problem might not have been ph yet but it will be, without a meter.

:yeahthat:

If you really want to get good at a strain you need to clone a seed into a mom and start cloning her. Then just mess around with different pHs and diff nute styles and see how the clones react. Its the only way to dial in a strain/grow.

I agree with OG. However, it is called "weed" for a reason. You can get really "superior" at growing with experience but it is not hard to be "good"at it. It seems that many beginners really overthink the process. I have found that it is hard to screw up when using organic nutes and good to great light. In my experience transplanting always stresses the plants for a bit. I have tried to change my technique to minimize transplanting. I use to do the seed in the wet paper towel in the baggie technique but have found that just placing the seed in dirt works as well or better. I transplant one time after the germination stage. In the transplant pot I put a niced layer of organically amended soil in the bottom half and regular soil in the top half. This gives the transplanted plant some time to adjust to the transplant and then it finds the food.

I am sure that you can make it more complicated with experience and get more productive results but with basically simple technique I grow more than I can smoke generally. I am at the point now where the growing is as rewarding as the smoking :)

WorkingMan said:
I agree with OG. However, it is called "weed" for a reason. You can get really "superior" at growing with experience but it is not hard to be "good"at it. It seems that many beginners really overthink the process. I have found that it is hard to screw up when using organic nutes and good to great light. In my experience transplanting always stresses the plants for a bit. I have tried to change my technique to minimize transplanting. I use to do the seed in the wet paper towel in the baggie technique but have found that just placing the seed in dirt works as well or better. I transplant one time after the germination stage. In the transplant pot I put a niced layer of organically amended soil in the bottom half and regular soil in the top half. This gives the transplanted plant some time to adjust to the transplant and then it finds the food.

I am sure that you can make it more complicated with experience and get more productive results but with basically simple technique I grow more than I can smoke generally. I am at the point now where the growing is as rewarding as the smoking :)
No pics of grows past? I like the process better than smoking it! It's a close race, but growing wins out hands down! Just noticed that you started in March, have no threads started (no grow journal or issues posted;just chime ins on other's threads) got any photographic evidence to speak for you?

WorkingMan said:

Welcome to MP, WorkingMan.

Sometimes people can't see the forest for the trees. On one hand, you make growing MJ sound like it's the simplest thing in the world, but then in the same description of effort, you mention the same skills and knowledge that must be learned to grow successfully.

In order of appearance in your post:

1. Experience

2. Knowing which Organic nutrients to buy, where to buy them and how to use them.

3. Transplanting technique

4. Plant stresses

5. Two methods of seed germination

6. Soil amendment technique

While experienced growers like yourself have *learned* each of these areas of knowledge, many people who wish to grow, know nothing of them and have no experience in growing anything. Even the words you're using are totally unfamiliar to them and they would have to research what you've just said to even understand what you said.

No, I'm sorry, but it's not "just a weed" any longer and growing it with maxed out resin production and THC content, harvesting it properly and curing it so as to provide the best and most long lasting product is most certainly NOT a "simple technique".

It's not a matter of "making it more complicated with experience", but truly more complicated than you make it sound. Here on this site, I've seen literally hundreds of people attempt to grow the herb and fail miserably as a result of not knowing or not understanding how to grow it.

I'm sure that a neurological surgeon thinks his/her job is also easy after doing it for many successful operations. They probably even make it look easy.

Like I said, welcome to the group, but trying to make it sound easy and then mentioning six different requirements or skills necessary to grow it is contradictory and (I'm sure unintentional) deceiving in fact.

yellowing leaves in your situation...I would look at.
1. transplant shock. Questions would be was the medium dry or moist when you did the transplant. excessively dry will cause roots to snap get cut or damaged. always transplant semi moist medium.
2. Bad PH in the new medium. I always add some lime to my medium which buffers the PH to around 7.0. Some here say thats too high, but I have never noticed bad growth at 7.0. Many times soil is too acidic. Too much peat or pine bark or something.

The tough call is which of the two is it. I would not feed. Not this early into the game. that will just make it harder to determine the problem. 14 days old should not be this hungry yet.

Of course water quality is of utmost importance, but if its the same water that was used as a seedling, it should be a non-issue.

yes it is just a weed, but like any other weed if the environment isn't healthy it won't grow.

While I respect Mutt, I agree the problem of yellowing could be ph or transplant shock, my money is on the babies asking for food.

I recently started a gj on the free seeds from Attitude and after 7 days, they all looked like they would die, yellowed leaves on and all. All they had had was ph'd water. I transplanted them into a small bubbler with a 15% nute solution and I got some life back into them, so much that a week on, I think they will all make it.
6 seeds, 5 varieties including a random bubblegum I threw in with them. They yellowing I had appeared after the second full pair of leaves 7 days from sprouting.
I have heard of no feed for 3 weeks and feeding from 1st day of sprouting. For me, I will start feeding seedlings at 7 days @ 15% and see how it goes. I accept we all have different experiences of the various techniques needed to grow and while some peoples methods work for them, they may not necesarily work for others.
This, as ever, imo.
Green mojo Carlo and a fat juicy bone for Mutt for disagreeing with him.
Peace W

Latest posts

Back