Yet another new grower -Have a look

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol

Reaction score
I am going to post this in hopes of getting better responses than i did from 'another' growing forum, that i WAS a member of. Judging by the threads i've read here , it seems we have a bit more noob friendly ppl here. Anyway, nuff' about that.

I'm not as detail oriented as i should be learning a new skill, so let me know if i forget something that is important to state. O.k. a friend gave me an already established plant, about july 15th , so i don't know exact age. Also it was already in flowering stage. (pic #1 new plant 16"-18" tall). I did'nt know squat about growing MJ ,so i left it outside for about 5-6 days while i put together a small groww room inside.
I re-potted into a 4litre container, with a pro-mix/coco mix blend. I've been using a 2 part nutrient from a local hydro shop( own blend) . It is presently 2 wks. into flowering .
Lighting: I started with 6-8 150watt cfls( replaces 150 watt, that is, actual 40 watt cfl i believe) . Those were used for a week and i upgraded to a 400 watt hps dimmable ( i run at 250 cus' its only 1 plant) with 2 (150 watt) cfls as support. Might sound funny but it works well 4 me as heat is reduced with this config. Oh, also i bought a cooltube, but it is'nt installed yet cus its' too wide for my current setup.( need wider spot)
Ventilation: At first i used a handful of cpu fans but have upgraded to a 6" 450 cfm inline fan( not installed yet) Presently with lights on it will be 82-84 degrees and 76-79 lights off.
So, i got it roughly July 15th, started flowering ( again) July 28th . Umm, have had no pests at all( humidity low- about 30% most of the time, helps)
I have no clue as to the strain and is surely a re-veg plant.

Anyhow, i was hoping for some observations, opinions, helpful criticism that kind of thing. Although i already know that it vegged for way too long, i have not pruned hardly at all , and i bent it over 90 degrees to limit height. So, what i'm saying is i know already that it does'nt look like everyones nice manicured bud, i've just let her go, but what else does anyone think??
Help is appreciated - This is my 'learning' plant ... so next time i might know what i'm doing, and get better every grow with some help from my friends. Let me know if i missed some important detail. Pic #2 is recent.Pic#3 is close up of budding site. obviously .Also my grow area is about 2'x3'x7'

first day i took home.JPG

2wkslater2.jpg

DSCI0013clr.jpg

I thought of a few interesting bits. At first, up till recently it only had 3 blades per leaf. It took for it to get somewhat larger before it was producing leaves with 5 blades. And so far that is the max. number of blades, so far. Sort of odd.
It was suggested to me that this might not be a good plant to keep, but it seems to be healthy and active in all other respects.

Haha i just saw those. I'm not laughing at you, just that i JUST read your post as well. I'm not real experienced but perhaps they could use a dome over them while they are young to increase moisture. I know that they are really tender when they are small like that , and they dry out fast (leaves) when the humidity is low. Perhaps.? my guess anyhow. hope u save em

i do to its driving me nuts i re did the soil early today to make sure it wasnt that i let the soil dry out to make sure it wasnt over watering and i put em outside all day to see if it was my light being to close or something
u have a 400w metal halide light i got for hydro farm but idk how far to keep it from the plant but as of right now im using cfls and keeping em about 6 inches away from top of plants

bigbluntsmoker420 said:
dont think ill ever get help

well, it's still only 5 am here, and even earlier out west. Patience is a virtue, but it's imperative in mj cultivation.

Solanero... I hate to be the 'bearer of bad news', but I'm relatively positive that I see powdery mildew on that first picture. Look into burning sulpher..

The leaves could be just some mutation from stress it's had with going from one home to another, change in lighting and environment ect. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. The important thing is that it is budding and from the looks of picture two it looks like it's formed a good amout of bud sites so you must be doing something right.

You should get your inline fan setup ASAP and also an exhaust fan to get rid of the stale and hot air which will then be replaced with the fresh clean air coming through the inline fan. Most growers will also have an oscillating fan in the room to make sure air is pushed around the room to make for good air circulation.

You should really check out the resources page @ http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396 it has a lot of tips and will help you a lot to learn the step by step process.

Solanero said:
It was suggested to me that this might not be a good plant to keep, but it seems to be healthy and active in all other respects.

There is no need to throw the plant out, use it as you say as your learning plant you will get better over time but everyone has to start somewhere.

GreenMoJo for your grow and welcome to MP!

U said u let it reveg, that's where ure funky leaves come from, I do a bit of revegin and the leaves never grow normal at first, I usually get a lot of single bladed leaves. Its natural and wont hurt anything

I would recommend using your HPS at 400W and doing away with the CFLs. It costs you almost twice as much per lumen to power the CFLs (they are 40W, the equivalent wattage doesn't matter for growing purposes) as it does a HPS and (regardless of what you perceive) CFLs will put out MORE heat lumen for lumen than the HPS. I also recommend getting the fan installed asap.

I personally would be very concerned about the white on the leaves being powdery mildew...

Hick said:
well, it's still only 5 am here, and even earlier out west. Patience is a virtue, but it's imperative in mj cultivation.

Solanero... I hate to be the 'bearer of bad news', but I'm relatively positive that I see powdery mildew on that first picture. Look into burning sulpher..

Oh yeah, i forgot about that powdery looking stuff. I thought it was just from the rain here ( i live by steel plant) Anyhow i just washed that off the leaves and have'nt seen it since that day. I will still look up 'burning sulpher' ....am i gonna find bad news?!? hope not

I looked up 'burning sulpher' but i don't think it was the reference you meant, at least i don't see how it relates to MJ. Anyhow, that white stuff was from the first week i had it and kept it out in the rain. Major steel plant is 1 block away, so i'm certain it came from there. Everything is 'stained' that way after a rain here, scary huh? Thank you Hick for pointing this one out. And i havent seen the white stuff since that day.
Also its' good to here that i am doing o.k. 'Sparda' i'm building a sound proof box for the fan and am looking to purchase a speed control before i hook up the 6"fan as its' in a room that can't have a jet engine roaring out of it all day. I do have a supply of fresh air right now but its still a temp. system. Also i am taking full advantage of the grow resources you posted ,every day i read on and on,....great stuff.

And lastly thank you, Hemp Goddess, i was curious as to the cost of running both, at last i have confirmation. Hps goes to 400 today and cfl's go 'click!' off! My power bill thanks you $$

You may not save power, but your plant is getting lots more usable light. Your plants will thank you with a larger yield and tighter buds.

I think your plant looks nice. It looks like a sativa dominate because of the thin leaves and the way it is growing. I am glad the white stuff washed off as it did look like mildew in the first picture.
You want the light to be close enough but not so close it burns the plant. Stick your hand under the light and where it is warm but not burning is where your light should be.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything, and yes we are nice to newbies.

Solanero said:
I looked up 'burning sulpher' but i don't think it was the reference you meant, at least i don't see how it relates to MJ. Anyhow, that white stuff was from the first week i had it and kept it out in the rain. Major steel plant is 1 block away, so i'm certain it came from there. Everything is 'stained' that way after a rain here, scary huh? Thank you Hick for pointing this one out. And i havent seen the white stuff since that day.
$$

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56341

View attachment InfoSheet-PowderyMildew.pdf

dman1234 said:
just out of curiosity are you near Hamilton?

Why do you ask? was it the steel plant that makes you say that?

Look at all the helpful ppl above. That's great, you guys have a good community going ( it seems) . In the 'other' forum i joined ,some dude said that " if that was in my grow room, i'm cuttin that plant or my wrists' hmm, good advice to the new guy.
Thanks 'Rosebud' just to say i'm doing well is enough, i'm happy now.

i also read that 'powder mildew' i think i've seen that stuff on rose bushes before. Glad i did'nt have it ,just washed off. Thanxs again Hick .The plant is inside now and staying there so hopefully that wont be an issue

HERE is an actual HELP ??

i started to notice this 2 days ago, kept an eye on it last nite, and am finally going to ask now. Seems a few (few) leaves are yellowing and sometimes falling off. i can't really tell after checking leaf deficiency chart what might be happening. My eye is'nt educated enough to determine myself if its a problem or is this just natural cycle of flowering. I am maybe 12-14 days flowering now and i heard that older leaves will do this, but IS that what's happening??
Here's a few leaf shots and yes she is droopy right now cus' she's thirsty. I just fedd&watered so she'll be perky by the time this posts. Also i should mention -- i've never flushed this plant BUT when i water the run -off is still crystal clear. No yellow or nothing , but i've also measured my nutrients very careful and slowly at first then up to full strength. i think the plant is working hard cus' i still water no less than every 2 days. ( have moisture meter too) i also should mention those yellow ones are all in spots that get squat for light.

DSCI0034.JPG

DSCI0039.JPG

DSCI0040.JPG

DSCI0042.JPG

Latest posts

Back