You Can Tell You Are From The Country If......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Ronnie, no but I have eaten things that would make a buzzard puke. Growing up we had a cattle/horse farm on a section (640a) in eastern Kansas. Perfect for a growing boy. I never went anywhere without some kind of a gun. My mother had a strict rule....if you shoot it you eat it. That goes with what you catch as well.

Only thing that saved me was, my mother fried everything and it all tasted like chicken. Oh, she didn't fry the tounge...boiled that....yuk! If I didn't eat it....it was there waiting for me at breakfast. You would think that would make me a bit particular on what I shot or caught.....NOPE, if it moved I BLASTED it. I do/did love eggs, biscuits and gravy with rabbit or squirrel for breakfast.

Then I married Mrs Pute (city girl) she wouldn't allow me to kill anything. I haven't shot anything or killed a fish in over 45 years now....That is why my name is PUTEMBK!!! Never hunt and any fish I catch I have to PUT EM BK.....

A cat head biscuit is homemade lard biscuit as big as a cats head. I grew up canning vegetables making preserves, hunting, curing meats. Making butter lol

Ever spend time on a tractor? Plow, disc, harrow, plant and harvest.....I lived on a farmall

1949_Farmall_M_Tractor.jpg

Then I married Mrs Pute (city girl) she wouldn't allow me to kill anything. I haven't shot anything or killed a fish in over 45 years now....That is why my name is PUTEMBK!!! Never hunt and any fish I catch I have to PUT EM BK.....

I was wondering what your profile name stood for!

We had two Farmalls and a Ford. The Ford was worthless.....wouldn't pull a 3 bottom plow. Great utility tractor but not a work tractor. Things have changed a bit these days. My nephew still works on a tractor. Everything is air conditioned and capable of doing 10 times the work today. He manages a 6 man crew and they work 2,000 acres....never plow ...... plant right over the top. Kid is gonna be a farmer all his life.

So, who has spent their weekends at a horse/cattle auction? While other kids in town were at parties I was at the sale barn. The guys I ran with chewed tobaco and had a gun rack in their truck. For fun we went snipe hunting......ha ha!

We had two Farmalls and a Ford. The Ford was worthless.....wouldn't pull a 3 bottom plow. Great utility tractor but not a work tractor. Things have changed a bit these days. My nephew still works on a tractor. Everything is air conditioned and capable of doing 10 times the work today. He manages a 6 man crew and they work 2,000 acres....never plow ...... plant right over the top. Kid is gonna be a farmer all his life.

So, who has spent their weekends at a horse/cattle auction? While other kids in town were at parties I was at the sale barn. The guys I ran with chewed tobaco and had a gun rack in their truck. For fun we went snipe hunting......ha ha!
I drove to school every day with a rifle in the back window gun rack and so did other kids. It was normal

I drove to school every day with a rifle in the back window gun rack and so did other kids. It was normal
Yup. Plus I spent two years in the Army Infantry but now I am not allowed to have a weapon because I have a Medical Marijuana License. Come near me and I will take my false teeth out an knaw you to death....

I have been to a cattle auction. My family had a couple of horses and I even belonged to 4-H. My neighbor showed horses and taught me how to ride for show. I even won some blue and red ribbons at a Gymkhana. The other nearby farms were mostly dairy farms until the government bought them out. I grew up playing in corn fields and hay barns. I did not eat strange foods but my father was Italian and ate tribe and a few other things I would not touch.

@ Ronnie, no but I have eaten things that would make a buzzard puke. Growing up we had a cattle/horse farm on a section (640a) in eastern Kansas. Perfect for a growing boy. I never went anywhere without some kind of a gun. My mother had a strict rule....if you shoot it you eat it. That goes with what you catch as well.

Only thing that saved me was, my mother fried everything and it all tasted like chicken. Oh, she didn't fry the tounge...boiled that....yuk! If I didn't eat it....it was there waiting for me at breakfast. You would think that would make me a bit particular on what I shot or caught.....NOPE, if it moved I BLASTED it. I do/did love eggs, biscuits and gravy with rabbit or squirrel for breakfast.

Heck here I was thinking it was your Indian name, LOL
Put It Back..............

I am Cherokee, Dutch and German. Putembk came from being president of the Local Trout Unlimited Chapter. Our goal was to preserve and enhance the cold water fisheries in Colorado. I was a conservationist and a huge advocate for catch and release fishing. But today I'm just an old pothead and proud of it. My younger years were in the country and still talk like a hick.

There's back woods country and there's hillbilly country. Im the only college grad in my family. I grew up making liquor and muskqidine wine, cutting pulp wood, farming, running said moonshine. Then muling for DeLorean in the 80s. Not me, that was my brother in law. They also murdered him for stealing. I had to scoop the ashes out of the buck stove and start a fire every morning before everyone else woke up. I can make chow chow relish, cure meats, trap rabbits, fish, hunt, make shine, grow cannabis, make my own butter, harvest my own honey, etc. I sell fish year around from my home, among other things. Even moonshine. I dont sell weed, its just not worth the risk. I love pinto beans simmered all day with a little fatback in the pot with them and corn bread

Well said Ronnie. People in the country know how to live off the land. City folk go to the store. I'm a city boy now and have been since 1973 since I moved here. My family has mostly passed now but I used to love going back home to visit. It was like going back in time 50 years! It felt like magic to me. I miss the simple life it was hard but simple.

@ronnie... I was the first on in my family to graduate High School let alone college. I went to college but my degree is STREET SMART!

Well said Ronnie. People in the country know how to live off the land. City folk go to the store. I'm a city boy now and have been since 1973 since I moved here. My family has mostly passed now but I used to love going back home to visit. It was like going back in time 50 years! It felt like magic to me. I miss the simple life it was hard but simple.

@ronnie... I was the first on in my family to graduate High School let alone college. I went to college but my degree is STREET SMART!
My mother grew up dirt poor, my grandparents didn't have indoor plumbing in the 1980s. Mom went to the 6th grade. My Father on the order hand was an only child, upper middle class family. So growing up I got the best of both worlds. Dad had a good job, so did Mom, considering her education. I never did without but my family insisted on living country style. I looking back. I wish one of my parents were stay at home because I didn't have proper raising. I was a world class son of a ***** until I was around 27. But i have many regrets

Damn Pute,,you must be my brother from another mother. I definitely remember using outhouses and 5 gallon wash tubs. My sister got to take a bath first,,😜. I remember mom heating water up on the stove to warm the water up because my little sister played till it got cold,,whilst i waited.😒
As for eating. I would hunt squirrel, rabbit, coon,deer,,or whatever and it got eaten. Fried of course. My granddad would eat fried squirrel brains and sop his biscuits in pure hot grease drippings. 😳
My father died at 36 from a heart attack because we lived so far out in the country the ambulance took to long to get there.
I spent a lot of time with my grand parents after that. Grew up really fast. Joined the Army at 17. My mom had to sign papers wher i could.

Latest posts

Back