You people with 1000w HPS lights.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
.... must have 20 foot ceilings in your grow rooms. Either that or your plants are only a foot tall. LOL

I put my new plants from veg room to flower room (400w MH to 1000w HPS) and they burned instantly.

My ceiling is less than 7'. The planters are about 2'. The lamp hangs another foot off the ceiling. By the time the plants are even 3' tall they are almost on the light lens.

So, a question for you 1000w people..... How far do you keep your light lens from the top of your plants?

Thanks

I wouldn't even consider using an HPS bulb bigger than a 400watt unless it was in an air cooled hood. That was one of my problems using a 400watt in a standard reflector and a 600watt in a cool tube. I would have to keep the 400 up higher than the cool tube. Jmo

I am using an air cooled hood. Still, the plants are less than 12" from the hood lens and that is just way too hot.

Thankfully, I had the insight to buy the selectable ballast so, this morning I replaced the 1000w with a 600w and I could almost hear the plants going Ahhhhhhhhh in relief. LOL

It was pretty amazing. It only took a few hours under that 1000w before the top leaves began to curl. By the end of the first day, the tops were already turning yellow.

1k 1' from the top of the canopy 7' ceiling---no problems unless the outside temps get into the 90's

Wow...what size fan are you using to draw air through it? I can touch the glass on my 600W cool tube and it is barely warm.

.... must have 20 foot ceilings in your grow rooms. Either that or your plants are only a foot tall. LOL

I put my new plants from veg room to flower room (400w MH to 1000w HPS) and they burned instantly.

My ceiling is less than 7'. The planters are about 2'. The lamp hangs another foot off the ceiling. By the time the plants are even 3' tall they are almost on the light lens.

So, a question for you 1000w people..... How far do you keep your light lens from the top of your plants?

Thanks
i run lights from 18 - 24 " from tops never had a issue open ended not air cooled

I am using an air cooled hood. Still, the plants are less than 12" from the hood lens and that is just way too hot.

Thankfully, I had the insight to buy the selectable ballast so, this morning I replaced the 1000w with a 600w and I could almost hear the plants going Ahhhhhhhhh in relief. LOL

It was pretty amazing. It only took a few hours under that 1000w before the top leaves began to curl. By the end of the first day, the tops were already turning yellow.

no need to place a 1000 1 foot at tops all your doing is lessening the spread of light par readings are the same 1 foot 2 feet from the light source over 2000 umol
Remember your playing with a 1000 watt bad boy not a 600 watt
where its par readings drop drastically the higher from tops it goes

1000Hid should be 24" any closer and you will have some photo inhibition even if the plants don't burn.

Wow...what size fan are you using to draw air through it? I can touch the glass on my 600W cool tube and it is barely warm.

740 cfm hammy---2 lights 8" duct stringing 2k hps flooding a 4 x 8 tray---this sob in such a small room gives big time negative pressure---got the same 740 cfm pushing air into the room but use a controller set to medium/low

needless to say i am a firm believer in more fresh air the better keeps many a pest, mildew, co2 levels optimal---hope to have as much success with the LED change over---maybe even improve the "photo inhibition" :stoned:

Dam lumens are for humans now picture you posted in reality is meaningless people got to get out of the brain fart idea that lumens is just a ridiculous way to gauge how a light performs its PAR what you need to look for photo active radiation thats what the plants use and thats why many light companies are striving for the right wave lengths for the best growth
you can have a room lit right up as you are blind from it still plant will not grow if there is no photo active radiation make sense ?? all that picture you showing is just lumens at distances

Dam lumens are for humans now picture you posted in reality is meaningless people got to get out of the brain fart idea that lumens is just a ridiculous way to gauge how a light performs its PAR what you need to look for photo active radiation thats what the plants use and thats why many light companies are striving for the right wave lengths for the best growth
you can have a room lit right up as you are blind from it still plant will not grow if there is no photo active radiation make sense ?? all that picture you showing is just lumens at distances

The initial question posted by Hackerman , is " How far do you keep your light lens from the top of your plants?" and my reply was to post an infamous chart, used by young and old throughout the world, to the satisfaction of thousands of growers and their plants.
Any attempt by you to subvert or hijack his post with gobblygook is dumb in the extreme:vap-leafy_wave:
here is its twin:

View attachment Mh dist chart.JPEG

Hackerman, I run mine about a foot from the canopy. I do have a fairly large air cooled hood though. Some plants will show light bleach that close, but most take it just fine.

There is no way I can have 12" in between the bottom of the light and the top of the plants. I just don't have the room. Especially, not with these 7 gallon planters.

I like the 600w. The room is a very nice 79F and 52%. The exhaust fan is only running at about half speed, now. It was running full open with the 1000w.

I didn't really have a problem with HEAT with the 1000w. I still kept the room a decent 80 - 85F when the lights were on and the fan running on full.

The plants were simply too close to the light and got bleached and burned from the light. Only the tops real close to the light were affected.

I'm not sure how much yield I will suffer between 600 and 1000w. I mean, it's only 2 plants. How much light can they swallow? LOL

When I put the clones into this room, they will be much smaller. And, they will be in 2 gallon pots so I might be able to swap back to the 1000w for that grow.

Good thing I got this selectable ballast.

Canopy management...try bending those taller tops over so they are another few inches lower and not bleaching

Canopy management...try bending those taller tops over so they are another few inches lower and not bleaching

Definitely the way to go. Isn't that what they call LST (Low Stress Training)?

I also noticed that my ballast takes a 750w bulb. I have never heard of a 750. I like the 600 but if I could get a little more light and still not reach the problems I had with the 1000w, I would try a 750w.

One thing that I did notice with the 1000w vs the lower wattage bulbs I have used in the past was the penetration. The top colas were not much different between the 400w and the 1000w but the lower buds were 3 and 4 times bigger with the 1000w.

We'll see. I have a lot of room to play with since I only have 2 plants in the room. I can do a little experimenting.

nothing is going to out perform the 1k in weight, footprint, or penetration---imo---focus on dialing in the 1k and don't look back---u be vegging clones with it in no time---yes---vegging clones with 1K

Ive got an air cooled 1000 with a 5 foot ceiling. Between the light and my tubs I have roughly 4 feet of space. I keep my plants bent down to 3 feet with the light about 10 inches from the tops. If they get closer I pinch the stem and lay them over 90 degrees.

nothing is going to out perform the 1k in weight, footprint, or penetration---imo---focus on dialing in the 1k and don't look back---u be vegging clones with it in no time---yes---vegging clones with 1K
What beats a 1Kw is 2 x 1 Kw, ideal production equipment for the budding dispensary tycoon, however my favorite indoor light is 2x 600 watters, combined has a larger footprint than the single 1Kw, and you get to play the 'lean' with the plants, one 600w on Am,and the other one in the Pm, it does stretch the internodes, not by much, and you get to save bulk power costs too, works well with the gas lantern method, and standard 18/6, the lean to see is funny as **** ..lol

I keep seeing that you are changing bulbs with the different settings on your 1000 watt adjustable. You do not need to change the bulb, leave the 1000 in and the ballast switch will regulate the light wattage!!!

Latest posts

Back