Young Grower Need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Green Monster

Reaction score
Sigh.... ok so i have been reading this site for some time now and i got some bag seed and i always wanted to grow so..... i said f it ill grow. It'll be fun "its like having kids watching them grow up big and tall and blosoming into adults"

Any..whhooo!

Im having some problems and i need help;

Problems: Leaves are dry and curling and also ive had some lamp burn

Specs: 1 150 watt CFL light
ph; is 6.3
MG soil with time release and 3 month in soil nuts
Ive been watering it as the soil gets dry (finger checking it) with tap water that i lett sit out for a couple of days to nuturalize ph.

I planted 2 seeds in one big pot and just resently trans planted the two and im just worried that they wont pull through

Ill post some pics if you need em

Pics of my sic babies

Its hard to see em like this ....

October 16,08 017.jpg

October 16,08 018.jpg

October 16,08 019.jpg

Hey green monster. couple ideas that might help.
Ive been watering it as the soil gets dry (finger checking it) with tap water
how often is that? i mean in days. do you have good drainage out the bottom of your pots?
tap water that i lett sit out for a couple of days to nuturalize ph.
that doesn't neutralize the PH. That lets the chlorine evap.
I would get a PH test kit from wal-mart in the auquarium section. Your water should be 7.0. My tap water is over 7.4 which is no good for plants. I had to use PH down to deal with it.
MG soil with time release and 3 month in soil nuts
This stuff has caused more growers more problems. except TBG :p
Its pretty hot as in over fertilizing. and its a nightmare trying to keep the PH right. I'd try to find some non-preferted soil.
ph; is 6.3
Too low, I shoot for 6.8-7.0 (even tho i really don't pay attention anymore)
chart on here says 6.5-6.8 those #'s always worked for me.

the crispy leaves is cuased by your PH and over fert.

My first grow as with MG, and I fought it like you will for a while. If you have good drainage, a really good flush (at least twice the contain volume) will get some of the nutes out of the soil, but will also dose the plants with more nutes.

When I repotted, I just went with Peat, Vermiculite and a little compost. With out the nutes in the soil, you can control them yourself much easier.

Another thing that you may want to consider is your water. We have very hard water with huge amounts of dissolved solids. We get H20 for a water company in 5 gal jugs, and get them refilled for $2 each. Never have to worry about water ph, chlorine or anything else...... just something else to think about.

Keep us posted.

one cfl? lets do 3 of cfls, water them once a week.... get some nutes ready and make a jug of nutes... be preapred..

very impressive to see you growing 3 plants per one cfl 150w cfl!!!

3 cfls will be good IMO.... yeah dip the soil to see if it need water, do that before you watering them per week.. you will do good job.. and great job!!

what is ur lighhitng and how much sq ft r u growing

wow first i gotta say thanks for all the feedback you guys are legit.

But yeah i have been alternating the tap water with bottled water cause i have alot of bottled water.
And i check the soil dryness every day and give it a good soaking about once every 3-4 days.
As for the drainage i don't really know how to correctly judge that but the pots do have drain holes....ups to Mutt also how do i up the ph in my soil with out hurting the ladies

I also only have two plants but i will buy two more CFLs..word to papabeach1

Yeah kinnndda pissed about that MG thing but hey the world keeps spin'n so should i buy new soil and repot and flush and if so i would love some heads up on good soil that could really do my babies right.

Iam really enjoying this whole growing experience and i would hate for it to end and especially with no fruit to bear.

papabeach1 said:
one cfl? lets do 3 of cfls, water them once a week.... get some nutes ready and make a jug of nutes... be preapred..

very impressive to see you growing 3 plants per one cfl 150w cfl!!!

3 cfls will be good IMO.... yeah dip the soil to see if it need water, do that before you watering them per week.. you will do good job.. and great job!!

oh man!... did I black out for 2 weeks? ? ? ;)

those containers look small, so you can probably get away with transplanting into some better soil, and do away with the clear plastic...roots dont like the light;) brotha Mutt wont steer ya wrong.. looks like nute burn to me.

I grow with MG soil. My first grow was a struggle. However, I am currently having great success with it. I have two plants in MG and one in an organic soil brand.
I believe the trick is to water as little as you can get away with and still have a healthy plant. Your initial instinct is to water like every 3-4 days I bet. Do not do this with MG soil. It will release the nutes. You need to water only a small amount directed at where you think your plants root ball begins downward. As your plant get bigger, you you will need to adjust how often and how much you water, but in the beginning you have to be very gentile with them. They do not deal with the ferts very well at such an early stage in their development.

Over watering can be a problem in itself w/o MG soil, but with MG soil it becomes very stressful for your plant.

IM only in my first few weeks and i had to do a flush, its my first grow. so i was the idiot and put NUTs in the soil way way way too early.

Latest posts

Back