Your thoughts on alcohol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was much younger I used alcohol to lower inhibitions enough to function normally in social situations. I still enoy the effects of a single drink occasionally. My wife and I split a beer a few weeks ago watching football. We were in France a couple moths ago. The wine was wonderful and cheaper than soda pop. We drank more that week than the last ten years.

I am looking forward to edibles in a few months. I am not one that likes smoking. It feels like it tears up my lungs.

My drugs of choice are coffee, exercise, and nature.

Fellow Growers,

Greetings, 5:19 am here on the farm and the first thing I see this morning is the question: 'Your thoughts on Alcohol'.

I'm disabled and have been poor for the last 20 years.
But in 2-3 months my inheritance comes in!
I've been thinking about Alcohol...

Build a new house with a walk in freezer. Have the beer truck come out and fill it monthly.
Brew 'home-brew' again like I used to do in the old days. ie. Meine Acht Pfund Hammerbier, Crystal Bisquet...
Buy Tequila and Scotch by the case...
Beer 20-30 cases at a time.
Get inert and go Coon Hunting...
Buy a new oven and make Pizza.
Buy a stereo system so I can listen to my old records again.
Get a truck so I can go to the beer store.
Finally publish my book.

Thank you...

The Poet...

I enjoy alcohol. Mostly rye whiskey. good rye, like High West. I have a degenerative disc condition which led to having my cervical vertebrates fused, and is now attacking my lumbar region. I am in constant chronic pain. I read a study on the relationship between sugar, pain, and inflammation. Alcohol converts to sugar. I have done all I can to eliminate sugar from my diet, which meant no more alcohol or at least not drinking very often or very much. I built a small home gym with an exercise bike, a rowing machine, and a weight bench to do some exercises. I have cut out processed meat and mostly concentrated on reducing or eliminating sugar. Fruit is really sweet once you get off the processed sugar foods. Also, it cost less. I use cannabis for pain. I grow a type that is meant to help with pain and insomnia, and I buy a topical cream at the dispensary. I used to take 4-6 opioid pills a day along with 1000 ml of anti-inflammatory medication. Now I am only taking 1/2 of an opioid pill at night before bed. I have lost weight and I am a bit more toned, and with daily exercise, I am still in pain but not as bad and not to the point where I don't want to do anything. I can walk again without falling down. It is pain management, and I realize there is no cure. However, diet and exercise seem to be good for me. Diet and exercise! I wonder why no one ever thought of that! :).

LOL Poet...no wine cellar?

While an inheritance means someone close to you passed away and I am sorry that, I am happy for your good fortune. While I don't believe that money can bring happiness, I do believe that poverty can bring sadness. Enjoy yourself!

Lawrenc- high west makes what I would say is hands down the finest whiskey I've ever had- the Campfire blend, Rye Bourbon Scotch menage a trois... some might say bastardization; I say BALANCE. The best of three great traditions!
Poet- I'm in agreement with HG. plus a wine cellar is am investment if you manage not to drink your assets : ]

For the record I'm being a bit flip about the wine cellar thing and have serious trepidation about hoarding booze. Here's the thing. I'm afraid that if I had a pile of good (or even just average) wine at my disposal, I'd make excuses to pop one to go with any meal I thought was wine pairing worthy, which is literally ALL of them if you get creative. And it never tastes as good the second day, so SLAINTE! to the whole bottle lol.
We can watch Johnny Depp, who was arguably one of the most talented actors of his generation ( Donny Brasco, not that pirate silliness), literally waste away into a little crinkly dried out version of his former self. His accountants' statements as to his 7 figure annual wine habit are... a bit shocking. As far as I'm concerned, he now exists solely to remind me that wine is not, in fact, just blessed water ; )
It's actually blessed grape juice. But if you drink enough to get dehydrated from it, you turn into a raisin.
Gluttony is a hell of a drug, Johnny Boy. Bottoms up, ya shrivelled little crustless fig newton!

imagine some Vermont brew like Heady Topper distilled into a whiskey, bam!

Lawson's Finest Liquids Chinookr'd IPA single source hops with that citrus sunshine.... that one would translate well to a barrel aged distilled final product due to its unusually clean flavor, I think it would be a good well primed blank canvas for charred hardwoods.

No alcohol for me...does not agree with me....but Cannabis...sky is the limit...can smoke & eat bales of it....It would be embarrassing or boastful to see all the cannabis I have smoked!

Alcohol has a place socially with me. Some crowds i hang out with drink, some smoke. Im still living under strict prohibition in my state and county.
Alcohol is Not something i take lightly as both parents were alcoholics/ addicts.

I look down on people who use drugs other than cannabis and people who regularly drink. I don't use tobacco, either. I think alcohol is disgusting. It smells nasty on the breath and makes people act like jerks. You could have the nicest, most civil person and just feed them a few drinks and you want to dispose of them. It makes people morose, over-emotional, aggressive, violent, abusive, boastful, loud, obnoxious and grossly obscene. I've seen people generate completely inappropriate behavior with alcohol after only several drinks. Some people have screws loose already and the booze trips a wire. Such as the guy who grabs a woman's ass at the office party. Or the people who drive drunk because their judgement is completely gone. The contrast with cannabis is extreme.

Don't drink anymore but I like to make it !-- There is not a decarbed lemon bud in that bottle of Blueberry Merlot !-- I'm sure Texas won't mind ?-- It was only wine at one time ?-- 5 gallons of blueberry wine went into the freezer to be condensed -- I remove about 3 gallons of water ice which concentrates the flavor and alcohol ! -- Still working on pairing weed with wine -- do U complement or contrast ?

I always prefer smoking over drinking but I love going out and having some high quality craft beers a couple times a month. It’s usually to watch a game as we don’t have cable and it gets us out of the house. We have a ton of craft breweries here in Colorado so it’s fun to get out and try all the different beers that these places brew.

I look down on people who use drugs other than cannabis and people who regularly drink. I don't use tobacco, either. I think alcohol is disgusting. It smells nasty on the breath and makes people act like jerks. You could have the nicest, most civil person and just feed them a few drinks and you want to dispose of them. It makes people morose, over-emotional, aggressive, violent, abusive, boastful, loud, obnoxious and grossly obscene. I've seen people generate completely inappropriate behavior with alcohol after only several drinks. Some people have screws loose already and the booze trips a wire. Such as the guy who grabs a woman's *** at the office party. Or the people who drive drunk because their judgment is completely gone. The contrast with cannabis is extreme.
I recently read this quote: "Drunks are funny until they are not, and sober people are OK until they are not".

I enjoy alcohol. Mostly rye whiskey. good rye, like High West. I have a degenerative disc condition which led to having my cervical vertebrates fused, and is now attacking my lumbar region. I am in constant chronic pain. I read a study on the relationship between sugar, pain, and inflammation. Alcohol converts to sugar. I have done all I can to eliminate sugar from my diet, which meant no more alcohol or at least not drinking very often or very much. I built a small home gym with an exercise bike, a rowing machine, and a weight bench to do some exercises. I have cut out processed meat and mostly concentrated on reducing or eliminating sugar. Fruit is really sweet once you get off the processed sugar foods. Also, it cost less. I use cannabis for pain. I grow a type that is meant to help with pain and insomnia, and I buy a topical cream at the dispensary. I used to take 4-6 opioid pills a day along with 1000 ml of anti-inflammatory medication. Now I am only taking 1/2 of an opioid pill at night before bed. I have lost weight and I am a bit more toned, and with daily exercise, I am still in pain but not as bad and not to the point where I don't want to do anything. I can walk again without falling down. It is pain management, and I realize there is no cure. However, diet and exercise seem to be good for me. Diet and exercise! I wonder why no one ever thought of that! :).
I also live with disc degenerative disorder and spinal stenosis. Although it's not as severe as yours. I had a doctor advise using no alcohol with this condition because it is not good to restrict blood flow in the affected area. I've been through agonizing pain and multiple operations although I'm very lucky to be mostly out of pain right now and have been for a year. Right now epidural injections are keeping it at bay. Weed helped me get through pain episodes before because it's so hard to get prescribed opiates. I'm sure you know those kind of episodes. When you can lie motionless on your back in bed and still be in terrible pain. I've spent so much time in a recliner and had to sleep in one for long periods. They send you to pain management "alternative options" that don't work. Nothing really fixes this and you're certainly aware of that. We can only manage it. I'm quite sure I have more pain ahead of me but if I get depressed about my condition I have goodies growing in the closet. I'm not a heavy smoker I don't think. I smoke less than 4 ounces of bud a year. But I'm still concerned it's hurting my lungs. I cough too much and wake up with a cough. And I might only have 6 small bong the entire day and it still irritates my lungs. I guess I should consider making more pot brownies so I can enjoy this more. I can't afford a good vape. I have one of those little box vapes but it stinks up the entire house. My nephew has a really good one and he paid over $350 for it. They seem to be a pain in the neck to use. I tried using his electronic vape and it seemed difficult. He said you have to get used to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back