Your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bukshot911

Reaction score
I'm thinking of veging under 4 2ft T5 fluorescents in a 2ft x 2ft x 5ft tent. With a ebb and flow system that stands 9in. I'm expecting around 10000 lumens. Is this sufficient veg lighting, if I plan to flower in another tent under 750W HPS?

Normally I veg and flower in the same tent but I would like to get a cycle going. Unfortunately space is limited so my veg tent is going to be 2x2x5. Also I have space in that tent for 8 T5s instead of 4 is that a bad idea? Is heat going to be a problem? I can fit an exhaust system if nesicicary and would like to hear opinions on requirements. Thanks.

I run 4 2ft. t5s' in a similar space. Usual temps are 76-80 from ambiant air. I find its good for 3-4 small plants and they outgrow the space quik as well. I believe that 6-8 T5s' would be better as long as you have good air coming in or if it is cooled air, even better. Not sure of the lumen count for 4 bulbs. Basically , it works, but could easily be better.
You should'nt need an active exhaust IMO as long as you have strong intake air.

I would agree with Sol on this. For a 2x2 10k lumens is just underlit and if you veg for very long you will get some stretch because of it. If you are working from clones and don't intend to veg for more than about 6-10 inches of growth, and keep the plants directly beneath the fixture, you should be ok. I personally would buy the 6 bulb fixture for that if I can afford it. Or if you already have the fixture and you find that it is not doing enough, you can go to a site that I use called access direct and order single T5 lights that can be daisy chained together, for $23 each and they work really well. you could get as many or as few as you want to add to it until it is good enough. :)

:ciao: SOL/Hushpuppy

Good stuff right there..Not sure about the NO EXhaust needed tho..take care and be safe

Exhaust is surely needed, but maybe not an 'Active' exhaust in veg.If it was my comment that caught your eye.
Hiya 4U:ciao:

Hey guys; I missed the exaust comments there. I always use active exaust on all of my stuff so that I always have good fresh air in my grow spaces. the girls love sunshine and fresh air. :)
To me it is just easier to set up active exaust every time rather than try to set up an active intake, but if it is just a vegging room and it would be easier to use an active intake rather than exaust then it should still work as good I would think :)

Good point hushpuppy. I suppose it really does'nt matter as long as the air is moving. Sometimes i get too set in my ways, better to stay open to new ideas.:)

You need air exchange--this means having an exhaust. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis, whether they are in veg or flowering. You need more than to just move the same air around.

First thanks everybody this has been useful.
Ok revised set up Idea using what I have gathered. In my 2x2x5, tent 8 2ft fluorescents. I'll rig a 4 inch fan inside the tent to push air and knock the plants around. Then I'll Run 4in ducting through the top, to a small canfan/filter combo for heat and odor removal. Thoughts?

If this room is only for vegging plants and not flowering, you shouldn't need a filter unless you are growing some strains that are smelly throughout their lives. It seems like most of the sativas are far less smelly during veg than the indicas. I would get the filter but not attach it until I know for sure that they are going to smell, so that the filter isn't wasted on cleaning just dust out of the air. :)

Thanks but I want to eliminate as much smell as I can. My plants are a bit stinky in all stages. Good point puffin I'll either mount it in the tent or get a proper exhaust filter.

Latest posts

Back