Zarnon's Loosey Goosey Low Fert Hydro Gro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zarnon

Reaction score
Hello y'all...

This is a condensed version of my last grow.

I run my own system. I modified the Waterfarm type system to allow for an external pump.

I use a second valve to regulate the water so it comes out as a slow drip.

Other useful stuff:

Growspace: 8x6x8 (HWL), concealed in closet
Lights: 1000w MH and 1000W HPS (dual ballast)
Air: Elicent 306 CFM, both venting the light and a second exchaust. Room also has own AC if needed.
Trainers: Punji sticks I drilled to give a lot of spacing. I find this much more versatile than scrog.
Ferts: This system is VERY efficient. I get nute burn (and yes, it is nute burn at relatively low nute levels. I have been over this with the non-believers. I do start with very pure water, with inorganic salts less than 50 ppm (unreadable), so you should always take a reading when interpreting other people's tables.

Grow:
1st two weeks. Forumulex, superthrive PPM: 200-250
two weeks till flower; Canna A/B grow, superthrive 250 at about 4 weeks will be at 500
when producing good rootage I start using Cannazyme as well.

Flower: Canna A/B flower, superthrive, cannazyme,
PPM of 500; I max at 750, if that. If I get signs of burn I always dial it back and the probs resolve. A lot of what I see being diagnosed as mag deficiency and nute lock out is nute overload.

The finish: Last week or so I dial it back to 250 ppm (I do not believe starving your plant at the point it is putting on the most weight is best). I use Bannanamana about the last week or so. Also have tried Foxfarm and will probably go back to it. I and my 'guru' are going to try different mixes as right now I'm into flavor enhancement.

Also poster below correctly pointed out. I stop ST the last 1-2 weeks.

Mistakes: Added some local additive that unbalanced the nute mix. Basically just unbalanced the P/K too early in flowering. I lost some end height and probably yield bc of that.

Pic Guide:

(1) Start
(2) 15 days
(3) 21 days
(4) 31 days
(5) 39 days, start of flower

11-11 start.jpg

11-26.jpg

12-2 strawberrySM.jpg

12-13 All.jpg

12-21 all.jpg

Flowerin' Time.....

pics: day 30, day 40, day 55 (harvest).

(btw, the diagonal orientation of the plant is on purpose, I use these sticks to train it , although the outer ones grew a little too tall)

13-20 earlycola3.jpg

13-30BigBud.jpg

Feb11killbud.jpg

14-14 End1.jpg

The high is very good. I tend to harvest a little on the early side, b/c I like up, silly weed.

One pheno of this plant we call "The Grape". I swear it smells like ripe fruit and tastes like it too. When you blow out the resin coats your tongue. Very powerful for the uninitiated.

A benefit of running low nutes is the herb is very clean. You do not need an extensive flush.

'The Grape'

14-14hangers.jpg

14-14 endfingers.jpg

Great lookin grow and awesome buds, very nicely done! ;)

One question tho, Ive always thought that B-1's like superthrive shouldn't be used during flowering because it will cause too much stretching in the buds, but I see you still use superthrive during flowering with obvious success. Any thoughts?

Here is a pic of the training stix. I really like them. I use weights on the bottom. They 'give' and your precious branches do not rip. You can adust them really easily.

Also here is a better pic of the external pump system I created. No more root clogs, no more lifting your plant and having root mass drip on your knee b/c the frickin' pump has gone out AGAIN. aghhhhhhhh.

The total cost for making these is around 35 bucks or so, the main cost being the pump. But I have found these Hydors very dependable and u can modify very easily to make external.

BTW, second to last pic shows me doing my flush. I use external ports on the bottom of the waterfarm and a waterbed hose (u can use w/ your sink). Bam! No more lifting... I clean the buckets maybe every thirty days.

Last pic are the fittings I made for the res.

inside external pump wf.jpg

outside external pump wvf.jpg

draining the waterfarm.jpg

Roots biggest.jpg

newfittings2.jpg

Nope, that's a good point and I do not use it either the last 2 weeks. For that reason and also I just am hormone adverse LOL...

I updated my first post to reflect that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Whats up Zarnon. That is some fine looking bud and a great looking grow.
fing32.gif

TBG: Whassup my brother from another mother? :D I was checking out your pics... nicely done.

If you're still with me, here's the last. These training sticks I'm blabbing on about. I really luv 'em. In the one b/w shot you can see how you can create a concave slope to your plants (in this case one plant) to maximize the light and bud spacing.

(the white stuff is just string, not a true SCROG but for me works the same and easier to move around)

Last two pics are just some random fun bud shots: Kali Mist (Buds as Big as Baseball Bats!) and some vuuuuury resinous Northern lights (still weeks before harvest, o my!)

zoom out trip out 3.jpg

Big Mama flower Black-white.jpg

Baseball  4-3 small.jpg

10-21 another.jpg

Very nice Zarnon. One day, I hope to have a grow similar to yours :)

Danker Shoooen y'all!

Thanks muchly for your kind words and interest...

Makes me want to share a few more pics... ;) These are the results from that grow... yummy lil buds all hanging. I think I hung that cord around 6 feet, got three strings full with big fatties hung by clothespins. Then a few platters o' bud. Not too shabby for three plants only 5-6 feet tall LOL...

Man, I grow for hobby and most of my friends don't toke.
Even being the mega-harfer I figure I'll go through this by next year (altho it never seems to work out that way LOL).

Anyone for High Tea? :)

14-14end3.jpg

14-14 End2.jpg

LDL! Welp it is hard when you are swimming in freakin' bud and all your friends/neighbors don't get high. Even the guy that taught me gets high like twice a year LOL.

Ever so often I have rolled into the park on my bike, a couple of FAT joints rolled n' ready... If it happens that I meet someone reasonably cool I get them completely bakerfied. hee hee...

Biffdoggie ... I believe there is more than one way to nudge a bud, but here's what I've learned and applied.

Flower depends on strain and the method of grow.

I am growing a pure sativa at this point (Kali Mist) and she will take over 60 days for sure (probably more like 75).

Something like the Power plant took less about 55 days.

These schedules are w/ hydro and on Co2. For soil you'd add 2-3 weeks to this.

These are just guidelines tho... I thought I'd need less time for PP and the plant was just not ready to harvest on the expected date. I waited another 10 days to hit that 'sweet spot'. I use a magnifier but personally I cannot count the trichomes and figure out if I'm at 30-70 or 70-30 cloudy to clear.

What I notice in my grows is this; First you get small bud along with the stretch, then comes the weight part, then the 'crystal shower' (so fun!) and more weight. Lastly I just wait wait wait until she 'smells ripe' and the death of the leaves shows she's really pulled back.

I have a 'grow guru' who brings me samples of his other students (whom I've never met). I get to try all these types of herb and a few of his own hybrids. But my favorite herb is my own LOL... He's the one that helps me trust myself and develop my own 'plant sense'.

(random bud shot enclosed)

early finish Bmama2.jpg

Dr.jpg

Latest posts

Back