Zombies first grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobZombie

Reaction score
Hi guys ,
well my 400w light arrived this week so I have been busy . I was going to set up a mini NFT system in my 410 litre beer fridge but realised it was going to be just a little cramped ...lol :doh: . So I have constructed my first mini NFT system in my spare room clothes closet . It has now been up and running for 48hrs and the 3 plants I have placed in it seem to be responding very well .
The light is so bright I have to put my sun glasses on when I open the closet ....its like looking into the depths of a nuclear reactor....lol
This is my first attempt at a hydro grow so if you feel Im doing things wrong please dont be afraid to put me right .

grow 003.jpg

grow 006.jpg

grow 007.jpg

grow 008.jpg

grow 004.jpg

all is looking good rob,i ordered my 400 watt last week so it should be here soon,cant wait.you look like you got everything under control,i will be watching this one,,,best of luck.

Thanks for your comments guys.....I have collected a bag of seeds over the past year , all from great pot , but I dont know what the strains were so its a bit of a lucky dip really .

Hi guys ,
here are some new pics of my little plants ...

Im feeding them 2ml of A + 2ml B nute per litre of water
PH is 6.00
Nute solution temp is averageing 27.80...........Im growing in a hot climate and find Im having to slip ice bottles into the reservior to help keep the temps down .

They have grown quiet well in the past three days and are showing signs of belonging to diffrent strains .
Oddly the thin leafed one is showing signs of leaf rolling and has been doing this since the word go although it seems fine and healthy otherwise ??.... any thoughts guys

grow 001.jpg

grow 002.jpg

Is that aluminum foil under your plants? Im only askin because I heard aluminum foil is bad and reflecting light from underneath the plants is bad. I mite be way off here though not to sure. I would get something like a flat white rather then foil.IMO. But nice set up and nice plants. How far apart are those plants from eachother? How far is your light from your plants?

Hi guys ,
thank you for your input and good wishes.....:)

Homemadegravity yes that is foil ....I fitted it in the hope it might stop algae formation on the surface perlite . I will heed your advice and substitute it with another material today .
Im hanging the light 18 inches from the plants and they are spaced 11 inches away from one another .

choking victim....I will check out on mg and see if a problem lays there

Thanks again guys...

Well its been a week since my last journal post guys so here is an update....

My TDS pen arrived last Friday and a test revealed that the PPM was very low . So I drained the reservoir then refilled with filterd water and started again taking the PPM up in two stages so as to not shock the plants . First stage 700 and 24 hrs later second stage 1350 .
I also removed the foil from the top of the pots and replaced it with some recycled gravy pot lids .
Things seem to be ticking over quiet nicely at the present although that one plant still has a strange leaf roll .....but boy he is growing fast and bushy . Im awaiting the arrival of some veg nutrient addertive and hopefully that will sort that one out .
I also found that by placing card along the top of the gully as seen in the pic helps to keep the solution cooler by up to 1C ...every bit helps in my toasty climate .

RobZ :)

My back garden 017.jpg

My back garden 020.jpg

My back garden 021.jpg

My back garden.jpg

Hey Zombie, I'm very interested in what your doing here, and your set up, but im a little confused. From what you've said about algea and such, this sounds like a hydro grow am I correct? I am also curious as to what your doing to keep your plants so low and bushy instead of growing high? I only have about 3-4 feet of grow space, so I'm very interested in getting the same out and up approach as you are getting.

Hi there NewbieG , thanks for your interest....yes Im doing a Hydro NFT {nutrient flow technique } its my first attempt at Hydro and Im amazed at how fast the plants grow .
Im not doing anything to make the plants bush more its just the way they are growing but having said that I have started them off on a nutrient addertive today called , White Rino super yield grow , and two of the things it promises are an increase in lateral branching and inhibitation in stem elongation.....Im hoping it will make up for any deficiencies in the nutrients Im useing ....we will see .
Here is a pic of my largest plant after 15 days under the 400w HPS light I have put a Zippo lighter next to her so you can see its size .

oinky 009.jpg

Looking good RZ. :aok: What are ya doing as far as venilation goes to get them temps down? I see in a few pics the edges of the plant is curled. That is a good sign of heat stress but i'm sure you already new that. ;)

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Looking good RZ. :aok: What are ya doing as far as venilation goes to get them temps down? I see in a few pics the edges of the plant is curled. That is a good sign of heat stress but i'm sure you already new that. ;)

Ah thanks TBG I have been trying to sus out as to why Im getting that leaf curl I thought it was a nute prob . I have fitted a 120mm extraction vent fan in the ceiling above the light and during the day Im leaving the closet doors open and keeping the bedroom ceiling fan on .Plus Im having to put ice bottles into the reservoir . Problem is its very hot here and summer has,nt even started yet:eek: The lights are approx 18 inches above the plants do you think I could take them any higher ? any other suggestions would be most welcome .

Have you ever thought about hooking up a A/C in your bedroom? Also i would raise it up to about 24 inches.

RobZombie said:
Ah thanks TBG I have been trying to sus out as to why Im getting that leaf curl I thought it was a nute prob . I have fitted a 120mm extraction vent fan in the ceiling above the light and during the day Im leaving the closet doors open and keeping the bedroom ceiling fan on .Plus Im having to put ice bottles into the reservoir . Problem is its very hot here and summer has,nt even started yet:eek: The lights are approx 18 inches above the plants do you think I could take them any higher ? any other suggestions would be most welcome .

Ya thats heat stress, you can raise the light, try it out at 24".
Very nice plant and it will grow even faster if you can knock that heat down alittle.

Cheers guys ,It may take some smooth words to convince the wife that I need a AC in the spare bed room for my plants....I will wait till she has had some wine:hubba: but great idea . And Im off now to reset that light to 24:)

RobZombie said:

I've heard 2 feet is a good distance, keeps em cooler and still get good light. Thats how far I have mine set up and the new babies are getting leafs about a 10th on an inch above breaking ground so I think thats good? lol

Latest posts

Back