Hydro vs Aeroponic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Silver Haze

Reaction score
i am new to Hydro and befor i do my first grow i have a question. which is more time consuming in keeping the system clean Hydro or Aero. i eventually want to do an Aeroponic system with my nutrient tank outside of the grow space. i like the DIY SCROG setup that The Hemp Goddess has but removing the lid to sit aside when changing/cleaning the resovoir is cumbersome bucause i am disabled. i believe that an Aero set-up might be easier when changing the Nut. Res. because i could just disconnect the irrigation tubing and i wouldnt have to handle the plants. this seems an easier way but i would like to hear what others with experience have to say. i would also use SCROG & LST with the Aero set-up. as this is for personal medical use i dont plan on growing no more than 6 plants. my goal would be to stagger their growth to harvest two plants every 30-45 days.
also, does Hydro or Aero have less issues with bugs or disease compared to soil?
i just bought a two 300 watt CFL 2700 k that only uses 62 watts of power for $15 each. it is the biggest CFL i've seen, 4" dia x 9" length, built in ballast and is uses a regular light socket. 6 sq ft grow space / 24 cu ft total.
thanks

SSH:stoned: & :confused2: :watchplant:

well... i am partial to dwc. i have never used an aero. i think dwc is probably the easiest.. i had no bugs with this last grow.
the lights you got will be great for veg but no where near enough for flower,especially with 6 plants.
good luck to ya.

Aeroponic is a touchy system. It is more for the advanced grower. It requires much more of your time. Nutes need to be pretty much spot on. Water temp. & so on need to be right. BUT, when you learn it & understand it. It is I think the best way to grow. It is geared more for quaility gorwers than quainity growers. I use an AeroFlo2 system. I love it. Later Man

I also agree that aero systems are more problematic than some other types of hydro systems like DWC. You might want to check out something like the waterfarm that has a central res and can be changed out easily. However, if you are going to have plants in different stages of growth, you are probably not going to want to use 1 res for all your plants. I believe that it would be fairly easy to utilize some kind of drain into a scrog like I built. If you want to harvest 2 plants every 30-45 days, you will probably want 2 different reservoirs.

You are absolutely going to need more/better lighting. Check to see how many lumens the light is putting out (I couldn't find it on line). For vegging, you want 3000-5000 lumens per sq ft. For flowering you want 5000+ lumens per sq ft. Also the equivalent wattage (300W) doesn't count when we are talking about plant lighting--so think of them as 62W. Check your lumens, that will let you know how much space these bulbs will cover.

Thanks for the input...i'm not sure about the lumens, wasnt on any of the packaging. i think i'll stay w/ DWC along w/LST. i plan on making a cool hood and get either two 150 HPS or 400 HPS for flowering 2 plants. ill expand up to 6 in time but since this is my first hydro grow ill keep it simple. this is a Med grow, not a for profit grow. i just hope to replace the cost of buying with the cost of growing. im good as long as my monthly cost stay under $250.

Super Silver Haze said:
Thanks for the input...i'm not sure about the lumens, wasnt on any of the packaging. i think i'll stay w/ DWC along w/LST. i plan on making a cool hood and get either two 150 HPS or 400 HPS for flowering 2 plants. ill expand up to 6 in time but since this is my first hydro grow ill keep it simple. this is a Med grow, not a for profit grow. i just hope to replace the cost of buying with the cost of growing. im good as long as my monthly cost stay under $250.

The amount of lumens is a critical figure. If it is not on the packaging, I would call the company who sold it and ask them. This is supposedly a bulb made for growing and they do not list the lumens??????????

I think the decision to stay with DWC is a good one :D.

maybe stick with dwc and grow dwarf, indica, or bonsai sativa strains in smaller buckets with smaller res. this way there would be less large heavy objects to haul around and lift. I think a 3L pot should weight about 8-10lbs with rock/plant, whereas a 3/5gal dwc is 40-50lbs.

Latest posts

Back