how close do you get your MH?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluealein56

Misderected Hostilty
Reaction score
i got a 400 w mhbulb for veg and a hps for flowering.About two weeks ago it was really cool outside so i decided to drop my light down real close thinking it would be cooler (which it was) and by being so \would allow me to get closer to the plants.... more lumens. right? well.......they started to get dry and looked liek the light was too much for the plants... the temps were fine. so i moved the lights up and have enjyed much growth since.

SO im wondering how close do you get your mh bulb? Can having one to close be to intense for the plant? Even if temps are not a issue? I hear about people getting their hps close all the time
Im confused :confused:

my guess is if its cool and not burning them get that bia right up on them

i did and they didnt grow that fast and messed up the fan leaves. i want them close trust me. im just concerned.:confused2:

yup close as you can with out burning them id say 8 to 12 inchs depends tho

yeah get them as close as you can..it all depends on the light my friend..I have a 1000HPS Batwing that I can get 18 inches from the plants canopy..and the same 1000HPS in a cool tube..that I can get 8 inches from canopy..nice tight hard budds..same with my veg area I use 2 @ 400 MH cool reflectors..and a 1000 MH open shop light..it hangs 24 inches from my plants and the 400 i move up and down with in 10 inches..IMO..you need to play around with them your self..You will see what people are talking about..Good luck..KEEP M GREEN:lama:

i have them at 18. they had grown in the past two days to were they were about 13 to 14 inches from the bulb but the top leaves were looking a little dy when i got home. so i raised it back to 18 above

bluealein56 said:
i did and they didnt grow that fast and messed up the fan leaves. i want them close trust me. im just concerned.:confused2:

this is tight formation growing...trust us my friend...place a small fan blowing across the top of the plants to help move the air...and increase your exhaust if you can..:D

i got a 8 inch 500 cfm inline exhaust fan, 6 inch inline intake fan 300?cfm, and a 12 inch oscillating fan and the temps are cool. all this in a room thats 2x3x8with 4 plants

i kept my 400 3-4 inches from the tops of my plants.i also had it well vented.

yeah i had mine at about 3 inches from the tops forced,great growth just got to keep it cool in between those 3 inches.i have since moved the light itself another foot due to mad space problems.now it might be running 8 inches from the light,my biggest plant i should say.

they can touch my cool tube with no ill effects, as can i. different setups may vary but if your bulb isnt exposed and the glass/tube/whatever is cool, maybe mildly warm, alls well.

bluealein56 said:
i have them at 18. they had grown in the past two days to were they were about 13 to 14 inches from the bulb but the top leaves were looking a little dy when i got home. so i raised it back to 18 above

You must not have good air circulation. If you had cool air coming in from somewhere would could have it as close as 8-10 inchs. If you dont, I would keep if as far up as 15-24in :)

I appreciate the tips everyone, but trust me there is plenty of air circulation and it is very cool in there. Even when the lights are about 6 inches from the plants its still about 78 in there and there is a inlet fan 300 cfm and a 12 inch oscillating fan blowing over the tops too.
So air circulation and temps are NOT the problem

If it doesnt burn the back of your hand ,,it will not burn the plant leaves,,,and it will give you better tighter buds the closer you can get the light.

Gota make sure that the temps across the TOP of your canopy are cool enough. Just because the room is cool doesnt mean that area from your hood to 3 inches from it are cool. I have a cheap digital temp guage that has a probe on a wire. I hang the probe 8" from my hood glass to get the temps at the tops of my plants. BIG mistake thinking because the room feels cool, directly under the bulb is too. You can ABSOLUTLY not give plants too much light (established plants). Only too much heat. Especially being you only have 400w.

I keep lots of air moving my canopy and my Floras(4ft 6tube T5's) 3" from tops,,and my CFL's are down in the canopy. No heat problems. Lots of nice Buds though.:hubba:

mndovrmtr420 said:
Gota make sure that the temps across the TOP of your canopy are cool enough. Just because the room is cool doesnt mean that area from your hood to 3 inches from it are cool. I have a cheap digital temp guage that has a probe on a wire. I hang the probe 8" from my hood glass to get the temps at the tops of my plants. BIG mistake thinking because the room feels cool, directly under the bulb is too. You can ABSOLUTLY not give plants too much light (established plants). Only too much heat. Especially being you only have 400w.

Yeah blue you always be accurate about where you are measuring your temps at. Heat always rises and just go by what your plants are telling you. If when you had your lights low and they were looking wierd just lift them up slightly as you did. No need to bring them back down if you said that is what is causing them to look weird. Happy growing:D

Latest posts

Back