Minor Problems, Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. GreenBrain

Legal Grower
Reaction score
Hello,

I am having some minor issues with my grow, and I'd love if some vets could help diagnose some of the problems before they turn into big problems. It's a small time grow. You can see my setup here.

Overall, I think my plants are pretty healthy. Most of the problems occur on the lower leaves. They recently had a small powder mildew problem. I've treated them once with Safer Brand Garden Fungicide and I'm waiting a few more days to treat them again with Serenade Garden Disease Control. I've noticed a few pests (ants) but it's very infrequent that I see one. I treated the growspace, the windows, and much of my place yesterday with Pyrethrum.

Answers as per A beginners guide to asking for help/HELP US HELP YOU
1. How tall are your plants now?
They are LST's so I'm guessing over a foot

2. How far from the lights are the tops of your plants? Is this a constant distance or have you changed it recently?
Lights are about 18" from the tops of my plants Haven't moved them in a long time. They are at their maximum height. Using a HO florescent grow-light (leaves can touch light without getting burned).

3. How old are they?
I've had them for about 5 weeks now

4. What strain are they?

Grape Skunk

5. Did you start them from seed or clone?
Clone

6. What type of containers are you using and what size are they in gallons?

3 gal/11ltr Do I need bigger?

WHAT TYPE OF GROW DO YOU HAVE?

7. Dirt

8. What mixture of dirt or type of dirt did you use?

Black Gold in three/ Miracle grow in one (ran out of Black Gold)

9. Is it a type that has added nutrients like "Miracle Grow"?

only in one

10. What mixture of perlite, vermiculite and other additives have you used if any?
none, people at grow store said Black Gold was already mixed with adequate amount of perlite.

WHAT TYPE OF MEDIA DO YOU USE?

just dirt. Again, people at the store said it was what I needed

WHAT TYPE OF LIGHTS DO YOU USE?

High Output Fluorescent 2' four bulb. Two bulbs in blue two in red.

FERTS?

25. What brand? What mix? What strength?
Flora Nova at half recommended dose for both veg and flower. I have also been using B-1 because plants were transplanted two weeks ago. Discontinuing B-1 as of today. Everything mixed into aged/PH'd water

26. How often, and when was the last time?
I water when the soil becomes pretty dry (usually every three days) on every third watering I use the Flora Nova.

ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS OF THE GROW AREA

29. Do you use ventilation for your indoor grow?

Yes, Active intake and exhaust. Using a computer fan for intake and bathroom vent fan for exhaust. Intake and exhaust all come from inside the room (not from outside)

31. Do you use a fan?
Yes, I have a small computer fan that helps circulate, but that wasn't enough so I put a small muffin fan on the ground and pointed it up. Plants are getting bigger and I now need a better fan that oscillates and blows on the tops.

33. Temperature of the grow area?
usually around 75F

34. Humidity of the grow area?
Normally in between 50-65%

35. Is CO2 being introduced? What method?
Yes, even though I have been thoroughly reamed out for using the fermenter method because of it's ineffectiveness. I don't think this is contributing to the problem.

36. Do you use Odor Control, (carbon, ionizer, ozone gen)?

Yes, I have a very small homemade carbon filter attached to my exhaust, and I use the Odor Neutralizing Machine as described in the sticky thread in the DIY forum.

37. Do you use LST? HST?
LST

Only a few of my lower/older leaves seem to have this problem. This is the worst off.

Burnt leaves.jpg

I saw this the day after I treated the plants with the fungicide. Again, I'm not sure if this is a problem. It seems to effect the younger leaves.

Shiny Leaves.gif

Shinny leaves2.jpg

I think this is probably a leaf that is about to turn into what Problem 1 looks like. Also, every so often I get a younger leaflet that appears to have a wrinkle or as if on one side it grew to big (sorry I know that's vague).

rumpled leaves.gif

Hello Dr :)

You say you use PH's water, what is it PH'd reading?

Have you checked your PH run off?

Is the plant in question the one in MG?

HippyInEngland said:
Hello Dr :)

You say you use PH's water, what is it PH'd reading?

Have you checked your PH run off?

Is the plant in question the one in MG?

PH is between 6.5 and 7. No I have not checked the PH of the run off. Should I check that when I'm using nutes, or just use clear water?

No the one in MG seems to be do as well if not better than the other plants.

Also, I just started flowering two days ago, is it OK to continue LSTing them? I have low vertical space and I'm hearing that plants will grow 2-3 times more during flower.

Just because the PH going into the soil is PH'd, it doeant mean the liquid once in the soil is PH'd at the correct level.

Yes check your run off, both the water and the nutriented feed.

Your pot size is fine.

LST is ok in flowering.

The PH needs to be kept as close to 6.5 as you can, 7 is too high.

HippyInEngland said:
Just because the PH going into the soil is PH'd, it doeant mean the liquid once in the soil is PH'd at the correct level.

Yes check your run off, both the water and the nutriented feed.

Your pot size is fine.

LST is ok in flowering.

The PH needs to be kept as close to 6.5 as you can, 7 is too high.

AHH! Runoff is very acidic. What should I do? Is it as simple as putting very basic water/feed in it?

How acidic is your Ph? Just do the math and use some PH up to get it where it needs to be. Like HIE said you really want to get your PH to 6.5. 7.0 is just a little too high. So just to keep it simple let's say you were adjusting your PH to 7.0 and it was coming out at 6.0, well then you would need to raise your PH in the water your pouring in to 7.5 plus. After doing this a few times your PH will gradually raise in the soil and you won't need to raise the PH of the water as high to get the correct run off. You will need to experiment until you find a happy medium that puts your run off at 6.5.

If your soil is really acidic you may need to flush the plant and then it will be easier to maintain correct PH. Always test your PH, whether you are watering with plain water, or water with nutes in it. Adjust your PH after you add nutes to it. The run off PH is much more important than what you actually pour in.

Some people like to use home remedies to raise they're PH but with as cheap as a good, reliable PH up solution is I would just recommend buying one. I personally use Advanced Nutrients PH up/down. It was a little more pricey than others but very concentrated and will last me years.

My tap water is really crappy and I often struggle with PH issues. I added some dolomite lime to my soil and it really helped to buffer my PH. Lime acts as a buffer and will always try to bring the PH to 7.0 whether it be too high or low. While 7.0 is too high for marijuana it is much more manageable then trying to raise from below 6.0, which is where I'm guessing your at. In the future I will be adding lime to all my soil mixes.

Latest posts

Back