Newby probalm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stufart

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have introduced myself and now for my first post. I ordered in some seeds form the UK into Oztrailya, talk about shitting bricks. I ordered Jack Hearer, cronic, bubble berry, white widow, and some other I cant remember. Anyway, after much reading I soaked one seed each of cronic and bubble berry in a glass of water. The seeds crcked and then I placed them in wet paper in a ziplock bag, kept warm. Root grew to around 1/2 inch then I transplanted them into new organic bag mix. After around 4 days they burt through the surface much to my jubilation, there aliiiive. So I kept them in a propagation box for a week. They slowly grew up. Now, here is the problem, I think.

Now, I have been keeping these girls out in the sun all day, then under floros all night and the bubble berry is growing up ok, just not out. It looks more like a string been than anything else. If these baby keeps growing up like this I will need a ladder. I think I maybe giving them to much light, do or should I let them sleep at nigh with no light?

Oh, forgot. yes you may be wondering where the cronic is, well its there alright, its just a very green stub. This baby popped ok, grew an inch then nothing. It has grown a bit more and it looks as though some ity bity leaves are beginning. I dont give in easy so I will let it go and see what happens. I haven't received my MH lights yet.

20130717_06-001.JPG

20130717_04-002.JPG

well how far is the light away from them during the night, would be first question

you can bury more of the stem up to top of containers now to help.

as for the the little one just keep him moist, probably just growing more roots faster, or possibly you have him closer to the light at night.

i would not worry they look fine to me, good luck and the more info u give these folks the more they can help ya ;)

Thanks mate. As Im still waiting for my MH and HPS lighting Im just placing them in the sun through the day then under my stove light during the night, I can hear you laughing. Tonight I have them under a 55w light bulb. I may have to try and find some better lighting until these other ones turn up. I might bunch the soil up a bit until then.

IMOE...those cups dont work well for MJ...they dry the medium and I found the roots wouldnt push through the cup...I would get some plastic pots and bury that stem leave 1/4 inch between the leafs and soil...the stove light isnt the right spectrum...get yaself a couple cfls and place them under those 24/7...would also caution you on bringing the plants inside and out...mojo for the grow

:48:

Need better lights and a fan.

Whole lot of stretch.

Going to fall over and die.

What kind of bag soil mix did you use? I am thinking it looks like it needs some amending to give it some better drainage properties.

Stufart said:
Im just placing them in the sun through the day then under my stove light during the night, Tonight I have them under a 55w light bulb.

This is your problem, you need more/better lighting, That weak light is making them stretch.

That soil looks rough as well.

I the bag of organic mic I bought says for new seedlings. I have now transplanted it into a bigger pot and buried the steam to around 1/2 inch from the bottom leafs. I went and bought a 250 watt CFL 6400, man o man is that thing massive. I had no idea they were that big. Bought a light fitting for it, get home, dam thing wont fit into my wall socket. Ring the guy back, o yes, I forgot about that, just go and buy one and fit it yourself, dont think so mate. Taking it in tomorrow to have new plug fitted. Seems someone doesn't want this little plant to grow. Soon as I have this sorted out I will take some more photos for you. As I said, Im beginning way on the bottom of the ladder, in fact I have only just taken the first step. Cant wait baby.

They don't need much light when they are that small, so keep it under the smaller light as close as you can without burning it until you get the plug fitted for the other one. You will need to make a dedicated space to put your plant(s). It should have reflective walls to reflect the light back at the plant. You need some kind of fan blowing gently on the plant to help strengthen the stem.

I am not sure what products you have down there, but I think your soil needs something added to it to improve drainage like perlite.

If you didn't buy feminized seeds, you are probably going to want to plant some more. You may want to plant another regardless, just so you have 2 in case something happens to one of them. Growing cannabis can be challenging and they have a lot more needs that say, tomatoes. Good Luck.

I have a couple of pics, yes its a bit dodgy however Im making a grow box as we speak. Never look at the light, never look at the light. Man that thing will melt your eyes clean out of your sockets. I do confess, I put the horse well before the cart. You live and learn hence why I only planted two. I do have two new seedlings which are due for planting. Looks like a have a bit of work to do before now and then, well tomorrow. The upside is they, or at least one is still green, so that must mean its not dead.

light (2).JPG

light3.JPG

I will begin a new grow journal, not that much is growing right now.

I took others advice and I went and bought some seedling mix. Much better than that rough as guts potting mix I used. I transplanted the main one and I noticed after taking it out that the tap root was 6 inches long. That tells me It was struggling to find something good at the bottom, not so. In my very limited experience, actually non, It looks as though the plant was putting all its energy in growing down rather than up.

Early in the life of the plant, it will expend most of its energy on building roots so that it can draw water and nutrients from the medium. Good move going to the seed starting mix. Keep them moist but not wet, good constant temps around 26-27c with a little breeze blowing. Don't try to feed them anything until you see them really begin to take off growing and the little round "seed leaves" turn yellow, should take 2-3weeks from germ. Green grow mojo :)

They are really taking off now. I planted one Jack Herer and one white widow. The Jack Herer popped its head out of the ground 1 1/2 days after putting it in the soil. I will be starting a grow journal later today.

Latest posts

Back