DIY coffee can hydro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grower13

Reaction score
I was building a couple more hydro pots for my house plants. My wife suggested I share my homemade hydro DWC coffee cans with you all. I've used them for a few of my house plants I keep at work.

IMG_0128.jpg

They come in different size containers

IMG_0129.jpg

use what ever size basket you have. Trace a line around the small end of your basket onto lid

IMG_0132.jpg

use a sharp knife to start hole in lid

IMG_0133.jpg

I cut the rest out with my heavy shears.

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

I cut slits in the lid to make the basket fit snug.

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

You can change containers very easily.

IMG_0140.jpg

I paint the containers black

IMG_0141.jpg

Drill a hole with knife point to get air hose in. I suggest you wrap the hose with electrical tape where it goes into container.

IMG_0144.jpg

Run air hose down to bottom and put on an air stone

IMG_0146.jpg

Get a dual port air pump and you can run 4 to 6 pots.

IMG_0147.jpg

The plants I use these with love it. It is a good way to learn to use hydroponics IMO. I hope this is helpful and gives you ideas about how to build your own hydro system.

:48:

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Sweet idea!

Id stay away from electrical tapes and glues as they tend to degrade and mess with the reservoir. I would make the hole a little smaller and pull the hose in tighter.:D

:p

Gonna need more room and water for nice root system on a big plant. Thats perfect for clonning though,or maybe some Lowryders..

I was thinking stealth and micro....... maybe for those with height and space issues ........ the biggest container will hold almost a gallon of water and still keep the basket out of the water....... and your right weedhopper about the cloning....... I'll be building a bubble cloner out of one next...... 2 or 3 clones per coffee can.

I use these coffee cans for lots of things..... keep supplies in..... use them to set plants on to get closer to the lights...... the lids of the Maxwell house ones make good drain pans for 4inch square pots.

I'm not sure if you can flower with these...... but I just might find out in a couple months...... when I get the meds I need for the year...... I'll be doing some experimenting early this summer....... I got a bunch of kitty litter plastic pales to do something with to:48:

Those little hydro containers will rock some nice micro plants. The micro-hydro that I did for 4U2Smoke's "micro contest" did great. I ended up getting 1 dry oz off that little plant the grew right at 20" tall. The key is to keep the solution fresh and the bubbles going. :)

I've got a bubble cloner built out of one....... I used the sticky above and applied its plan to a coffee can...... I used a piece of old garden hose to make the tubes for the cuttings to sit in....... I'll post a few pics this evening after work. I'll be using it for some clones soon.

If you use hydrotron, you do not need a piece of hose for the cutting to sit it. Just stick it into the hydrotron. The problem with using a piece of hose to put the cutting in is that it is difficult (impossible) to remove without damaging the roots (and it is simply not necessary).

The Hemp Goddess said:
If you use hydrotron, you do not need a piece of hose for the cutting to sit it. Just stick it into the hydrotron. The problem with using a piece of hose to put the cutting in is that it is difficult (impossible) to remove without damaging the roots (and it is simply not necessary).

10-4 THG....... I wondered about that....... the one thing I'm best at in my growing is cloning...... I've cloned with perlite, vermiculite, rapid rooters, jiffy pucks, seed starter and plain ol water...... but never a bubble cloner...... yet.:icon_smile:

When I uesd a Bubbler clonner I set my clone in a small piece of hose that I had precut down one side to make it easy to remove the plant from the hose.Then they went straight into a neopreme insert that set in the baskets that you normally put hydroton and it set in my 5 gallon DWC bucket lid..hxxp://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=neopreme+inserts&qpvt=neopreme+inserts&FORM=HURE#x0y0

WeedHopper said:
When I uesd a Bubbler clonner I set my clone in a small piece of hose that I had precut down one side to make it easy to remove the plant from the hose.Then they went straight into a neopreme insert that set in the baskets that you normally put hydroton and it set in my 5 gallon DWC bucket lid..hxxp://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=neopreme+inserts&qpvt=neopreme+inserts&FORM=HURE#x0y0

I think those would be the best to use....... I've got an old pair of neopreme waders in a closet...... :hubba:

Neoprene waders are not nearly thick enough to make inserts--you need neoprene 1/2" thick or so. You can buy neoprene inserts fairly inexpensively, however, there is absolutely no reason to put them in anything but the hydrotron. I like not having to disturb the roots much at all once they start growing.

seems to me roots will be smothering the hydrotron---so what do you all do with the growing medium after harvest---cleaned and reused---or discarded

Latest posts

Back