10" to 6" reducer on my Fan ..loss of suction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeg

Reaction score
hi all
in my tent a have a massive 100mm x 400mm filter with a 10" hole in the top .
i have sat my Big fan in the top of the filter and taped up 10 " ducting to it
i want to reduce the 10" ducting to 6" outside the tent , so it can vent up my Chimney .
IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0709.JPG

Will this reduce the amount of suction from the tent ? i dont think it will , but my Bro says it will

thanks
Smeg

Any constriction will reduce the effectiveness of the fan.

Yes it will, just as a 1/2" water line does not put out as much as a 1" water line, a 6" line will not conduct as much air as a 10" one. However, I believe that you should still have sufficient air flow.

Keep in mind that if you run it up a chimney it will cause back pressure. Make sure nothing else is using the chimney for venting (like hot water heater or furnace) or you will blow exhaust gasses back into the living space.

the closer you reduce to the flu,the MUCH BETTER.if you reducer right at the flu,static regain will make it hardly as noticible.don't use flex,or as little as possible.this eats up your air flow because of turbulance at the reinf.ribs...
could you possibly use a 8in. dia.,slightly ovalized??a [email protected] static friction loss will give you 112cfm.(cubic feet of air per minute).an 8 in @.1 =232 cfm. a 10 [email protected] = 420 cfm a 12 in.@ .1 =just under 700 cfm...
hope this helps...

thanks for the reply .....
i thought about this for a while and came up with a better to vent my tent .

i had to go into loft and fit some wood to support that big-*** filter i got .
i then got a silencer to try out from the grow shop . the guy said i could bring it back if it didt work ,it was only £40.. that cheap silencer is brilliant its halved the noise , really impressed with it
ive then cut an extra hole in the side of my tent , and i now have 10" all the way to the chimney
its working very good heres a pic
IMG_0793.JPG
thanks
smeg

What silencer are you talking about? I am curious cause i think it would be a good thing to have...

its a flexible one its very lightweight ... in the picture you can see it on the left

you can see it here better .... not sure if i can put the link

.growisehydro.co.uk/flexible-silencer-1m-in-length~236

Latest posts

Back