2-Litre CO2 tank? Maybe....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent45

Reaction score
Anyways, I got to thinking the other day.

I'd seen a lot of people wondering how to get CO2 to their plants in closets, cabinets, etc. I know a lot of people with bigger operations and ambitions have tanks, which is fine and dandy.

But I got to thinking.... I bought this beer from the store a while back, and it's actually quite clever. It comes with a Yeast Pill and an extra cap, you take the cap off and drop in the Yeast Pill and replace the cap with the extra one provided. Anyways, the cap itself has a "pea sized" hole in the top, and the regular see-through, or blue-ish round insert in the cap is replaced by a rubber seal of some sort.

The mechanics of it is that you put the pill in and put the cap on, the subber lets excess CO2 escape while the mixture of water, hops, sugar and what not frement into alcohol, the sugars I believe. The rubber piece pokes out of the cap a bit while doing this. Less CO2 = less pressure, which means no messy beer explosin....... Anywayyyyys.

I am yet to drink the beer, I dunno how it will taste, but I was thinking of experementing with it. Could be beneficial seeing as it is only letting on small amounts. It'd be refillable and everything you need for making the CO2 would be cheap. I saw some people saying they were putting a mixture in a bowl, which would release it all at once, and possibly hurt your plants.

The cap fits on any Coke bottle. Wonder if you can buy these tops from a brewery??? Possibly make one yourself.

Something ou might wanna tinker with outside.... hahaha.

Unless CO2 is regulated and metered, it is not worth doing. You need concentrations of around 1500 ppm to be effective. You also need to keep temps higher. The release of CO2 has to be coordinated with your exhaust fan.

If you are exchanging the air in your space 2-4 times a minute, your plants are getting plenty of CO2.

I made my own CO2 rigg with a 5 gallon non-vented plastic petrol container, a length of aquarium hose, and yeast and sugar. I drilled a small hole at the top of container just big enuff for an aquarium hose attachment. I siliconed the attatchment into the hole, then ran a 4' length of aquarium hose to a small airstone. I then filled the container 3/4 of the way full of warm (80-90 deg. F.). Then I placed 3 packets of active dry yeast into a big glass of same temp water and stir it up good. Let the glass of yeast water set for 1/2 hour to activate yeast, then pour yeast water into the plastic gas can of warm water. Put the cap on, insuring it is airtight, and then place the airstone on the end of the aquarium hose into a glass of water. If everything is airtight, soon you'll see CO2 bubbles start bubbling out of the airstone. Just place the glass of water in your garden close to the plants. This technique provides a slow, steady stream of CO2 practical only for small operations, where it may build up. Also if you notice the bubble rate start to slow, renew the mix by adding more warm sugar water to the mix.

Friend-of-a-friend said:
I made my own CO2 rigg with a 5 gallon non-vented plastic petrol container, a length of aquarium hose, and yeast and sugar. I drilled a small hole at the top of container just big enuff for an aquarium hose attachment. I siliconed the attatchment into the hole, then ran a 4' length of aquarium hose to a small airstone. I then filled the container 3/4 of the way full of warm (80-90 deg. F.). Then I placed 3 packets of active dry yeast into a big glass of same temp water and stir it up good. Let the glass of yeast water set for 1/2 hour to activate yeast, then pour yeast water into the plastic gas can of warm water. Put the cap on, insuring it is airtight, and then place the airstone on the end of the aquarium hose into a glass of water. If everything is airtight, soon you'll see CO2 bubbles start bubbling out of the airstone. Just place the glass of water in your garden close to the plants. This technique provides a slow, steady stream of CO2 practical only for small operations, where it may build up. Also if you notice the bubble rate start to slow, renew the mix by adding more warm sugar water to the mix.

co2 needs to be metered and administered within a specific temperature range in order to be effective or beneficial. About all that you are doing is making a stinky, sticky mess with that setup..IMO

I'm still gonna give this a go and see if it's beneficial in anyway. I dont see it hurting any.

Trent45 said:
I'm still gonna give this a go and see if it's beneficial in anyway. I dont see it hurting any.

Why not spend the time, effort, and money on something you know is going to work? We absolutely know that CO2 has to administered withing certain concentrations and within certain temperatures for it to be beneficial to the plant. This is part of the plant biology.

Unless you are keeping your grow area in the 90 deg F or more range, the plant will not take up extra CO2 in a beneficial mannner..... At least it will not take it up in a noticeable manner......

Now if your growroom is getting that warm on a regular basis, and you can handle the smell... I say hell ya, put 20 2 liter bottles with yeast growing in them in your grow.... LOL....

But the point is IF your temps are not high.. it will not help....

The Hemp Goddess said:
Why not spend the time, effort, and money on something you know is going to work? We absolutely know that CO2 has to administered withing certain concentrations and within certain temperatures for it to be beneficial to the plant. This is part of the plant biology.

Time, effort and money? Riiiiiight. I have a small set-up, why would I want to spend money on a CO2 tank, a regulator, timer, etc.

THG you're trying to be too smart about this. If you woulda read what I said, I am merely going to try this out, and yes I know that high temperatures are needed, getting the heat up is as easy as turning the exhaust fan off for a short time and then leaving the bottle to dipurse CO2 until your fan kicks back in and disapates the heat. Could easily be done on cycles when the lights are still on, and simply reove the bottle before lights out.

I thank you for your input, but I was already aware of all this.

Just gonna try it out, see how it goes. There's no sense in rigging up an elebrate and expensive CO2 unit for a cabinet grow. This is inexpensive, and could work well for days that the cabinetis gonna be locked up.

And that's supposed to mean what? Go out and spend my Chrismas money on a useless CO2 tank? It's something I'm gonna try out, I didn't post this looking for ideas, this is an idea that I had that could work as an alternate to people putting large quantities of sugar water and yeast in a bowl. CO2 tanks are useful for bigger operations.

Trent45 said:
And that's supposed to mean what?

It means that it WILL NOT WORK. It's been tried before, and doesn't work. It's already been explained in this thread that it will do absolutely nothing beneficial. Nothing. Let me say that again....NOTHING.

But go ahead and do your thing.

LOL, why did you even start this thread? You are ignoring all of the advice. However, the money you waste on this will help to stimulate the economy, so thanks.

You see. It's not advice if it's things I am already aware of. If I wanted advice, I would've asked for it. I'm simply experimenting.

Yeahhhhh, all the money I wasted on things I already have in my house. Stupid me. Thanks for the attitude though, looks goood on ya.

And I have no porblem supporting the Canadian economy :)

Tried it in a closet grow with 2 liter bottles didn't notice any difference. Thats my 2 cents :)

pcduck said:
Tried it in a closet grow with 2 liter bottles didn't notice any difference. Thats my 2 cents :)

Thanks for the imput dude, did you have any kind of pressure release or did you simply leave the bottles without caps on them?

I had a piece of hose siliconed in the cap which I then attached to the stem of the plants

Hmmmm, interesting. It's something I will play with after I finish the beer in there tonight

forgot the hose was a 1/4 inch with a little valve from fish tank days.

Latest posts

Back