2 week old 1k watt HPS ballast goes bust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Unsleep

Under the Zion Curtain
Reaction score
So yea- I bought a 1k watt HPS ballast, bulb, and hood kit from HTG systems beginning of October, right?
I hooked everything up, but left it off until about 2 weeks ago. Since, it's been on 12/12 only for about 2 weeks.

Well, I come home today, and notice my lamp is off. Right, ok. Checked my timer, should be on. Odd.. What's this weird buzzing sound I'm hearing? I open my Veg side of my closet and the ballast is buzzing LOUDLY!

Unplugged the unit for a few hours, check the bulb, check conductivity along the cords, making sure there isnt a short somewhere with my Fluke pen, and no current to lamp/bulb. Try different outlets in the house with an extension cord. Bulb isnt even prefiring.

Yes, I keep both ballasts in my veg room, high up on a shelf, bc there is a huge outake fan right above them, to draw heat away, and it helps with covertness being in a closet... They are about 1 foot apart, so they don't bleed heat to each other. Temps rarely top 80+ inside the closet.

Well, it gets worse, right? I failed to save my invoice for warranty information and now I'm tripping out that I just dumped $300 (total with S+H, ) and now I'm screwed ! Yea, yea, I know I can buy another single ballast cheaper, but I also just started flowering 5 ladies... And even if I can get it replaced under warranty- I'm still out of a light for the next 2-4 weeks. Plus I'm so not dumping more cash on a ballast when the holidays are right around the corner.

I suppose I could manually move the 5 girls over to my 400W MH veg room 12 hours each day, and move them back to the now dark side of the closet each night, but jebus! I'm pissed! And my plants are going to hate that!

I emailed HTG Supply, but i'll also be calling 1st thing in the morning as well. Can I get another invoice faxed or mailed to me do you think? Becuase as far as I understand it, that's what I need on my end, before they will do anything- which is my fault, but wow....

I've had my 400w MH SunSystems kit for like.. 6 years now growing different plants. And it's never taken a dump on me yet-

What am I going to do? :hairpull::huh::confused2::confused2::watchplant:

Damn mang that's a real bummer for sure. Right now i would do what ya said and just move them to the veg cab for 12/12 until you can figure something else out. As far as them sending you a copy of your invoice i'm not sure on that one. You'll be giving them a call so you'll find out. Hope everything works out for ya. ;)

Ask them for the invoice b4 you tell them it's broke, make sure not to mention it until you recieve the invoice copy!

dont worry. HTG will take care of you.
I had a similar incident with a digital 600w greenhouse ballast.
I called, and got a replacement in 3/4 days.

goodluck

Im assuming you paid online, and most purchases are paid online using your credit card.

Credit card transactions can be brought back up! I dont think you will have a problem if you went this route....

Nova

BOB IS RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Oh god, do not tell them ANYTHING until you have the invoice conversation. It will save you DAYS of aggrivation, red tape, and ..."can I put you on hold for a 'minute' please".

SERIOUSLY !!!
CAM

Mr. Puff is right on. HTG will take care of you. I have the same problem with a 1k watt about 6 months after I bought it. Sent them an e-mail explaining the situation even told them I didn't have any proof of purchase. They were quick with a reply and said to send it in and they sent out a replacement.

Called them today, and they said it might be the bulb. The ignitor usually makes noise if the bulb can't prefire. Mailed me a new bulb and we'll go from there.

I must say though, they were very helpful and I'm very pleased with the company and their customer service level.

I wish I could send them rep points =)

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

good to hear about htgsupply i should get my new 400 watt from them in two days heh new equipment yay and very good to hear you were taken care of bro puts an ease to alot of our minds

Mr.Unsleep said:
Called them today, and they said it might be the bulb. The ignitor usually makes noise if the bulb can't prefire. Mailed me a new bulb and we'll go from there.

I must say though, they were very helpful and I'm very pleased with the company and their customer service level.

I wish I could send them rep points =)

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Thats what they told me as well, fortunetly I had another bulb and that didn't work as well. Didn't you say there was not current getting to the bulb? So wouldn't that eliminate the bulb, they need power to turn on...

hey man... sounds like you got this same problem I have/had with my system... you might be having brown-outs or power spikes on your house line. if you are having brown outs, there isn't enough power going to the ballast to keep the light going (you said you were using a 1K light, right) so it turns off but the ignighter just buzzes cuz it can't turn the light back on even though it's got enough power again. if you had a power spike, that might have fried your bulb. at any rate, it might be the house line cuz it's part of a branch circuit... so... put it on a dedicated circuit. that might be your problem.

just fyi... i'm a 21 year construction electrician

later

smoke 'em if ya got 'em

bono said:
Thats what they told me as well, fortunetly I had another bulb and that didn't work as well. Didn't you say there was not current getting to the bulb? So wouldn't that eliminate the bulb, they need power to turn on...

if you want to see if your ballast still works, once it's cooled, turn it back on with the socket empty and if you have a volt tick or even a voltmeter, check for power at the socket.

just don't zap yourself :D

It's not a power spike, imo. Remember I have 2 grow lights, both hooked to surge protectors with no trips. I've had those as well in my area, but 2 months ago, during peak energy consumption months. I'd brown out a couple of time a week. Thing is, almost 95% of the time, someone is home at my house if I'm not, and monitoring my plants, as I tell them too (GF of course).

I have practiced in the Electrical field for about 3+ years in the past. I've slacked off, and pissed away my Journeyman's certification, but yeah. Done residential, commercial, etc.

As many have over looked though, current into a dead bulb will read as non current, using a fluke pen or such.( crude , but semi accurite) I seemed to have misplaced my Volt-meter, or it has got stolen recently, but no load = no current in the line suppling to it. 0% electon travel = no load. The circuit is interrupted, of course.

Hence why my lines gave no reads. So... After removing the bulb (load) I have a strong reading of conductivity to the lamp. Yes the ignitor still buzzes loudly, bc it has no load to dump into. Pen lights nearly 1 foot away from live line to the bulb housing. Bulb in = 0% reading. Inspection of the bulb shows a slight burn on the ceramic cap and possibly an air leak. Self explanitory in a "high pressure" sodium bulb.

So. My next question is, when HTG Supply supplies a gracious replacement part, do they send you a new tracking number and shipping info for you to follow, or is it just mailed reguardless. I ask because I have received 0 in this manner so far.

Bit drunk, trying to make sense- hope this helps. Will call again in the morning to answer my own questions, but thanks for stopping by =)

That crazy vancouver guy said:
if you want to see if your ballast still works, once it's cooled, turn it back on with the socket empty and if you have a volt tick or even a voltmeter, check for power at the socket.

just don't zap yourself :D

Never test for voltage at the socket unless your meter is rated for 2500 volts min and most are not, it will ruin your meter.

Here is a link to trouble shoot your ballast or anyone in the future.
http://www.866blilamps.com/hid-ballast-trouble-shooting-guide.html

Latest posts

Back