4'3" x 3'8" x 7' Room and some questions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZTEC

Medicinal Grower
Reaction score
I have a box fan I was using this summer to blow air from outside the room (temp around 65 humidity around 70%) into the grow area but I have to leave door open for that then the light shines up the whole room (outside of grow area) which is obvious (trying to keep it secretive). I have a 12 volt computer fan about 5" x 5" sucking air from outside (temp range now is 40 - 65 degrees), down a 4" tube and expelling out where another small fan blows it towards plants. Hoping this will give it some outside air, better then my basement air? (any other suggestions welcome). But then I have two fans 5" x 5" computer fans next to eachother, sucking hot air from the bulb into a 3" duct and expelled outside. Wondering if I place it more towards ceiling will it expel more hot air then down by light? Since I have it on the source of heat am I expelling the most hot air already? Also placed near plants is an oscillating fan on low, blowing air around. I would like to make my room air tight and just be able to have constant air movement. There is some yellow growth from when they were younger I was gone for a few days and they got a little close to the light and got burnt some have nute burn from me adding a little to much of some organic fertilizers when I transplanted them three weeks ago (three weeks into flowering). The only thing I have added since the transplant is garden lime because the ph of the soil was in 6's and one was almost 5 (I think the ph of peat moss is around 5) and also the nutes I added probably dropped it a bit. I got some pics of the nutes I use wondering what I should give them next time I water? I have triple phosphate (0-52-0) also a bone meal with a bit of nitrogen (1-11-0). But I also have some fertilizer that is (5-5-3 w/ micro-nutes) Don't know which to give them and when's a good time? Does organic fertilizers stay in soil a while because it has to break down and then be used by plant or do they get used up pretty quick? I know they need other micro-nutes and maybe nitrogen in small dosage? Or should it just be full phosphate til done? So far the growth is green and no signs of illness or pests (had a fly strip in there this summer because flies were horrible). Its been 3 weeks since the last treatment of triple phosphate and garden lime. I am seriously looking at buying my soil and ferts from foxfarm but didn't know if there was another brand just as good, maybe cheaper? I know you get what you paid for most of the time but I guess it's not always true? I've been watering these one gallon pots about twice a week and the soil seems really light when dry so the roots should be penetrating the soil very well. I am trying the SOG method this round because of the light situation only 1 400 watt HPS. These plants are a little over a foot tall and are 3 weeks into flowering, there is seven of them flowering (indica's). Hopefully I did everything correct and the photos post with this reply but I'm down for any suggestions I got a bit of money coming up not much, thinking about buying some worm castings and adding that to the peat moss with perlite and maybe invest in foxfarm fertilizers. Does that sound like a decent soil mix? Well i'm done talking finally, all ears! Thanks!

MJ 001.jpg

MJ 002.jpg

MJ 005.jpg

MJ 006.jpg

MJ 007.jpg

MJ 009.jpg

MJ 010.jpg

MJ 014.jpg

MJ 015.jpg

MJ 011.jpg

MJ 016.jpg

howdy, are you spraying something on your leaves,they kinda look like it. not sure i understand the fans, but i know they pull air more efficiantly than push air if that helps. IMO you cant do organics in flower without some good ol' bat guano, buts thats just me. very wise decision going with HPS...it will pay for itself in green...speakin of...green mojo 2ya!

Well man, sounds like you got most things under control, and what you dont know, you prolly will figure out. As far as the soil goes, things would be alot easier on you if you just went ahead and got some FF nutes for flowering.

in an eclosed space like yours i would go for professional results by purchasing profesional equipment...get an air cooled reflector and and a pair of good 440+- cfm fans and that should do the temp trick...happy budding

Thanks for the input, wish I had enough money to invest more into this but only got the cash for some spendy nutes that's about it.

Bottom line is this dude. Your security is of major concern if people can see your light from outside the grow right? Ok now if heat is the issue hear your going to have to check your sofa for some change bro because your little computer fans really are not helping you out. Get a 6in inline fan and an aircooled reflector and this can act as an exhaust for both your room and the lamp together. Or you can buy 2-4in inline fans one at the very top were most the heat is and one on the opposite side of the exhaust at the bottom. You need to pull out as much air inside as possible. Now if you want your grow to be totally enclosed then your going to have to fix the ventilation issues or you will never get to close off your grow and the entire world is going to see your lamp. Just to throw this out there, I know you are broke but anyway you can get a portable a/c 5,000btu's or bigger because you never know when you want to add a bigger light. This is a last option in my opinion when you basically tryed everything else.

If I were you I would have 3 inline fans 2 6in fans one for your reflector and one to exhaust and the 4in for intake. This will let you close your room up.

Hey dude to add to what you said about your nutes. You have money comming up thats great. There already into 3 weeks of flowering so buying soil now will not help you because transplanting will only shock your plants. Buy some organic nutes get rid of your chemicals. Buy Earth juice bloom and Micro, Superthrive and some black strap molasses. You need to water more often in my opinon. I water every 2 days or so and lift each container and feel the weight. I like to stick my finger in the soil and feel if its moist. Make sure your checking the ph of your nutrient solution as this is very important. If the ph is outa wack then the plant is not able to get the correct amount of nutrients. Plus because your using chemicals you dont know the ppm of the solution your adding to your plants which explains the nutrient burn. With chemicals you need a PPM waterproof pen to tell you how much your adding.

I use Earth Juice products and there great look into them,organics make your buds smell awesome. Also some good products are liquid Budswel and flouralicious plus its a concentrated organic enhancer.

Thanks for the info, I have a 4" inline fan but don't have a decent enough electrical source right now til I get some money for wiring and want to place a electrical box near the grow area to accomodate another light and what not. RIght now these 12v fans are a lot quieter and seem to push more air then the 4" inline but I might have to go with one of those squirrel cage type blowers found one for $80 but winter coming up so the heating issue won't be a problem. I might be trying to add a heater in there just to keep it warmer at night because it's sucking air from the outside and its getting down in the 30's at night. I shut all the intake and outake down at night and just leave a fan oscillating in there at night because it gets real chilly. And I checked out the Earth Juice products and they seem to be a bit cheaper which I like, might invest in those instead of foxfarm. Thanks for your input I hope to upgrade my exhaust soon!

i use 1 of those $80 180 CFM blowers to cool my entire room...i have a passive intake at the bottom of the room and the blower sucks air through the cooltube(reflector) and out into another room....they work well for my 1000w setup

Here is a photo of my system with explanation on which each part is. Take a look open for suggestions. It's time for indoor gotta get this setup nice.

MJ 007b.JPG

PUFF MONKEY said:
i use 1 of those $80 180 CFM blowers to cool my entire room...i have a passive intake at the bottom of the room and the blower sucks air through the cooltube(reflector) and out into another room....they work well for my 1000w setup

Is it pretty loud?

not really...your dryer is louder than the blower is

I am just worried about noise because the room is right next to a window and need something kind of quiet and non vibrating. But something like that will most likely be the best option.

You can use bungie cords to suspend the squirrel cage fan in the air and that will help with the noise. Or you can use rubber grommets when you screw it to the side of your box. I personally like Vortex fans there quieter then the cage fans and you dont have to oil them. If you dont have enough power then you could always add an outlet to your grow room if you have an available slot in your main panel. I had to do this so I got a DIY home electrical wiring book and is show me how to do it. I just had to find the right breaker I needed for the main panel and the right gauge wire. The hardest part was trying to run the wire through the walls. But in the end I had an extra 20amp breaker and I was able to run my 1000w HPS and got 1/2 pound of crisp buds.

Hey Killertea *your pic* "odeley ching gow...is that a joint? Zeppelin....." Thanks guys for the feedback!

I guess I can hardly tell because I'm use to it, but sometiems I walk into the house you can smell it, can't tell if its from me smoking in the house or from my grow? But I will have to invest in moving some major air, having a constant suction would be nice and just having some outside air blow in for fresh air.
I wish we could just exchange seeds that would be awesome to trade strains I really need to find a good strain for outdoor short flowering season for next year, the cold enviroment gets rough for these guys out here, lot of them turning purple but some buds, very small amount have turned brown (suspect frost killed this part). Scared they might not make it but positive because it's still somewhat warm during the day. You guys have any suggestions on a good strain for canadian border area? Thanks

Latest posts

Back