600watts To Much?!? Apartment Growers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnyce1320

Reaction score
A Buddy Of Mine Got Me On My Toes Today Saying That Running A 600watt Bulb Will Bring Suspicion To The Electical Company And They'll End Up Visiting Maybe Even The Law. The Problem Is Yes, I Live In An Apartment And It Wouldnt Make Sense Randomly That My Electicity Useage Jumps Up Out Of No Where Compared To A House But I Really Want To Run 600w For My Grow. Do I Have To Stick To A 400w Or Lower To Keep Away Unwanted Visits? Please Help Me Out People Expecially Other Apartment Growers!!!!

I am an in an apt. I micro grow and guerrilla ONLY.
It's not so much power spikes. Your odor control better be spot on and so stealth that if maintenece walks in for an emergency or something, it can't be seen. 600W is risky in my opinion due to the size of grow a 600w would be.

If it's your own home, then those aren't factors. In my apt. complex I've had them in 5 times for plumbing and electrical reasons. I was here 4 outa the 5, READ your lease agreement and see what the rules are for entry to your apt.

Change your locks. that way you'll know if landlord is goin in behind your back as well.

I would go 250w max in apt. and just supplement my herb not go big like a 600w+ just due to the possible security breaches that could easily happen. (i would think about 400w but then fan sizes increase and so does overall white noise from the grow. things to consider as well is noise)

I run around 180W grow in the closet. The one place they have no reason to go in.

but to answer your question..a 600W on 12/12 wouldn't even raise an eyebrow to the power company...thats too tiny for them to even care. Thats not even a stereo left on all the time..mine pulls 800w. Just be energy conscious ;) Peeps get mainly busted for stealing power and company goes out to investigate the 4000kw+ power loss in area. :rolleyes:

Good luck and stay safe.

jnyce1320 said:
A Buddy Of Mine Got Me On My Toes Today Saying That Running A 600watt Bulb Will Bring Suspicion To The Electical Company And They'll End Up Visiting Maybe Even The Law. The Problem Is Yes, I Live In An Apartment And It Wouldnt Make Sense Randomly That My Electicity Useage Jumps Up Out Of No Where Compared To A House But I Really Want To Run 600w For My Grow. Do I Have To Stick To A 400w Or Lower To Keep Away Unwanted Visits? Please Help Me Out People Expecially Other Apartment Growers!!!!

Hy J1320. I use a 600w in a box 2x4x6.. I just finnished BBCheese (this Pheno low odor). I was using 430w hps b4..
Biggest issue to me is: heat. The 600watter raises the water aned rom temps 3-4 degrees.. But>>> more $$$$

Maybe it's me but I think odor is more recognizable with higher temps/humidity.
The extra heat keeps my portable ac running alot more.:hairpull: ===$$$

The electric usage is shouldn't get you that much of a useage spike over a 250w..

I like the change the locks idea.. landlord will let you know that you "can't" do that..
the only way they could know is if they tried to get in>>>B4 u start growing...:eek:

OH>>> by the way>>> yield is looking like 30% more w 600 vs 400.:holysheep:

Heat... watt usage.... landlord.. = alot to think about!

I'm in love w 600 w: yields rule wish I could go 1000w!:hubba:

Couple pics of THE END.. BBC

#8 BBC The End Pt1 (760 x 1014).jpg

#8 BBC The End Pt2 (760 x 1014).jpg

TheEnhancementSmoker said:
Changing the locks is a violation of most leases that I have seen. You can change the locks, but you have to give the landlord a copy of the current key.

Hy ES.. yes, I agree.. but what are they going to do? evict you?

"OH! I'm sorry, I din't realize the conditions of the lease.. here is a copy of the new key"...

And then >>>>>>>>>>>find >>>>>>>>>>somewhere else to grow or not grow.

They should't be going there without notification.. part of the lease too..

Unless your electricity is part of your rent and your landlord pays it, the rise in your electricity shouldn't be a concern. The electric company does not keep and eye on small residential electrical usage. There are also things you can do to reduce your consumption--switch to CFLs for lighting, turn lights and all appliances, computers, tvs, etc off when not using them, keep your place cooler in winter and warmer in summer.

Changing the locks is not a good idea. That alone can create suspicion. Growing in an apartment is always risky. The management has the right to enter your premises in case of an emergency. and for routine inspections. Although most leases require that you be notified if someone has to enter your place, they can go in unannounced if there is an emergency. You are also going to have problems with cooling and ventilation because you cannot just cut holes in floors, doors, and ceilings to accommodate your needs.

600w should not be a prob in an apartment..read your lease if you have one. i asked this same 600w question over at mjp and was told by 30 or so peeps that you can run as many as 2-3 600's without having the elec company come knocking..
running your XBOX,TV,Radio etc pulls alot more power than 1-600w..no worries other than keeping the smell down and not telling anybody bout your grow. your lease has a spot on there that you can say you want no one to enter without you being there or that they must call first. i do maintenance on a complex that has 350 apartments and we have on each lease certain quidelines that we must follow..if it says dont enter that meens dont enter.

Dankerz said:
and we have on each lease certain quidelines that we must follow..if it says dont enter that meens dont enter.

My ex managed very large complexes for many years. Every lease has provisions for entering a unit in case of an emergency. Trust me, if water is running out the ceiling of the apartment below or smoke is coming out from the windows, management is going to enter the apartment.

4maggio said:
Hy ES.. yes, I agree.. but what are they going to do? evict you?

"OH! I'm sorry, I din't realize the conditions of the lease.. here is a copy of the new key"...

And then >>>>>>>>>>>find >>>>>>>>>>somewhere else to grow or not grow.

They should't be going there without notification.. part of the lease too..

I guess that's a valid point, but as HempGoddess said it raises suspicion.

Personally, I would never grow in an apartment.

Thanks Alot Guys. The Great Thing Is That Im Growning In A Bedroom Closet Which I Will Keep The Door Closed When Im Not Home. I Will Also Put A Lock On The Bedroom Door Which Shouldnt Be A Problem. My Mother Lived In Apartments For Years And She Put Locks On Her Bedroom Doors And Never Had A Problem With Maintenance. Also Maintenance Is Very Respectful When It Comes To Privacy. When They Come They'll Either Leave A Letter For Instance That They Will Be Comming In On So And So Date To Check The Furnace Filter. I Doubt It If They Are Going To Kick In My Bedroom Door. I Work Nights And Im Home During The Day So Ill Be Home Anyway.

My Problem Isnt Maintenace Im Cool With Most Of The Maintence Men In My Building So I Deff. Dont Have A Probelem With Them Comming In Expecially If My Bedroom Door Is Locked. My Only Concern Was Electricty Usage. And Yes I Will Be Running A 6" Inline Fan W/ Carbon Filter For Odors. I Also Have Central Air In My Apartment So Temps Hopefully Shouldnt Be A Problem Expecially With A 424cfm Fan Exausting Air Out Of The Grow Area Into The Filter. Plus Winter Is Comming And We Get Freezing Temps, Gas/Heat Is Free Too!

Also Does Anyone Know About Camera Survalince Video Feed. Im Not Sure If It Was On This Forum Or Rollitup.org But I Stopped In On A Post And There Was A Guy That Had Video/pic Feed Sent To His Cellphone AND UPDATED EVERY COUPLE MIN And Even Posted The Video/pic Feed On The Post So Everyone Could Watch His Grow Live!!!! Can Anyone Help Me Find This Man Or Info On Video Feed Via Cellphone!!!!!! Im Interested In Video Feed.

600 wont be a problem as far as electric bill... My 600 only raised my bill 38.00/month on 24 hours 7 days.

I have my 600 in a 4X4X6 box.....10 plants in there flowering as we speak...

The stealthyness of your grow is what I would be concerned about....doesnt matter what size light you got in there if someone finds it....:hubba:

Aslo Does Anyone Know About Camera Survalince Video Feed. Im Not Sure If It Was On This Forum Or Rollitup.org But I Stopped In On A Post And There Was A Guy That Had Video/pic Feed Sent To His Cellphone AND UPDATED EVERY COUPLE MIN And Even Posted The Video/pic Feed On The Post So Everyone Could Watch His Grow Live!!!! Can Anyone Help Me Find This Man Or Info On Video Feed Via Cellphone!!!!!! Im Interested In Video Feed.

Just get a linksys webcam and hook it to a laptop near your grow and put the camera inside. Or get a wireless camera.... then you can get something like GOTOMYPC www.gotomypc.com and load that software on your computer. You could then dial in from the internet anywhere to that computer and pull up yolur cam and woolah!

I would definately not stream your camera over the internet as it appears your friend did... Thats a sure way to get caught....us some remote software,,, its cheap and safer that way... I am doing that right now with my grow....I can get to my camera from anywhere in the world and see my plants in real time... I got the camera you can move around and zoom so I can do alot...

It's hard to imagine a use for the amount of smoke I could grow with a 600w. I do rather well with a 400w, plenty for me to get from harvest to harvest, but I guess 20+ oz is not enuf for some folks :hubba:

:doh: ie, 20$ would become 30$, the bill increase would be simply 1.5 times the 400w usage, the heat increase would be significant and need to be addressed

apartment growing is more risky, lots of folks get by just fine :aok:

i agree,i will never own nothing but my 400 watters.didn't really need 2 of them either.using fluros to veg now.when i get these plants finished i will not have but one area going at a time.veg then change bulbs and let her go.i do not need unlimited amounts of smoke.20 ozs would last me all year,lol nobody else smokes but me here.thanks puffin

New_2_Chronic said:
600 wont be a problem as far as electric bill... My 600 only raised my bill 38.00/month on 24 hours 7 days.

I have my 600 in a 4X4X6 box.....10 plants in there flowering as we speak...

The stealthyness of your grow is what I would be concerned about....doesnt matter what size light you got in there if someone finds it....:hubba:

Just get a linksys webcam and hook it to a laptop near your grow and put the camera inside. Or get a wireless camera.... then you can get something like GOTOMYPC www.gotomypc.com and load that software on your computer. You could then dial in from the internet anywhere to that computer and pull up yolur cam and woolah!

I would definately not stream your camera over the internet as it appears your friend did... Thats a sure way to get caught....us some remote software,,, its cheap and safer that way... I am doing that right now with my grow....I can get to my camera from anywhere in the world and see my plants in real time... I got the camera you can move around and zoom so I can do alot...

Thats f***ing genious!!!!! Thanks

jnyce1320 said:
A Buddy Of Mine Got Me On My Toes Today Saying That Running A 600watt Bulb Will Bring Suspicion To The Electical Company And They'll End Up Visiting Maybe Even The Law. \
Your buddy is full of crap if you live in the States. PG&E usage cannot be obtained by law enforcement unless they have a warrant. If they have a warrant, they already know you are doing it and simply building eveidence towards your case. One of the least common ways of getting busted is high energy use. As someone pointed out ODOR or TELLING PEOPLE about your grow is what you need to be careful of.

If your usage goes up alot (which it wont with a 600), you may recieve a notice from pg&e just wanting you to confirm that you are using more energy, or someone could actually come to your door-but dont worry, its not because they think you are growing. Simply let them know you are using more power, and no problem. 600w is not alot, especially with all teh high tech gadgets people have now like surround sound systems, big lcd tv's, hell my pc has a 800w power supply.

We live in an apartment and use a 1000w HPS for a 7x3 closet. The apartment manager/maintence man has been here a few times so far, and we are about 3+weeks into flower. We try to keep them away as much as possible but sometimes you have to let them in. Just be careful. By law they are not allowed to enter any rooms unless there is a specific reason for being in that place. For example if you have a plumming leak in the kichen, they can go in you guest bedroom.

I noticed you said you were going to grow in a closet. Not sure how many bedrooms you have (we have 3), but if at all possible choose the room maintence would have the least reason to go in or near. For example we have an electrical fuse box in one of the bedrooms, so we choose the other bedroom, just in case anyone needed to access that box. Keep your grow stealthy and easy to clean up if you have to.

Puffin Afatty said:
It's hard to imagine a use for the amount of smoke I could grow with a 600w. I do rather well with a 400w, plenty for me to get from harvest to harvest, but I guess 20+ oz is not enuf for some folks :hubba:

:doh: ie, 20$ would become 30$, the bill increase would be simply 1.5 times the 400w usage, the heat increase would be significant and need to be addressed

apartment growing is more risky, lots of folks get by just fine :aok:

High PAF.. I'm impressed.:eek:

I've gotten 16 drycured from BBCheese/400w/co2 (2 plants/SCROG) and it is looking like 20-21 from this go with BBC w 600w.

But PUFFIN what strain you growin and gettin 20 from 400 (co2?)? Does it kickureass?:holysheep: Please don't say it's clone only.

I want 20 (just switched to 600w) so my 'following' isn't hittin me up when they have none that they can call their own! LOL!!!
So I guess if you follow it carfully.. I want it for ME!:clap:

Sorry for the interuption 1320.. I think you're over the 600 vs suspicion thing by now.. yees?

Pay your bill on time and you will not be raising any flags to your account. Or if you feel that concerned run your lights at night when they are not reading meters. The people in accounts payable could give a rats butt what your bill is, as long as you pay it on time.

i think paranoia is just something that comes along with growing if your not a legal med user within limits.i've always grew 5-10 at a time outdoors in the past.ive started plants indoors in the past,but never actually finished up a plant indoors.something always came up to where ive had to finish outdoors.ive ran alot of plants in the back seat of my car in a box to beable to finish them. Talkin about paranoia (car just reaked of green)..but i have enough room for 40 in my room right now,but i doubt ill grow in all 40 pots,
40's definitly more then enough for me,i just figured i'd grow more then i normally grow outdoors due to the fact it was my first time around with flowering indoors... but thats the only reason why im growing as many as i am this time around.after i get done with this grow,i might just reveg a plant from each strain like puffinafatty did with his haze a.k.a. snow white.shes a beast.anyways theres my $.02,-Peace

Well I guess if your hush hush on your grow a 600w would be ok. Main reasons people get busted is because they have this ego about showing everyone there grow room thinking there going to look cool. you could always add a dead bolt to your bedroom that way if your landlord goes in so what he cant get in your room. If you change the lock on the front door thats just asking for drama you dont need.

Latest posts

Back