9 + weeks why no trichome's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my opinion.:rolleyes: .

sell that multi piece of junk on ebay. or keep it for a mother plant. imo, it is only good for those two options. i dont care what stealth hydro states. they are liars, about thier description of this light. it states it is 10,000 lumens of light per square foot. that is true. but it has no penetration. ok, your good for the top 8 inches of your plant, (maybe). what about the rest of your 5-6 foot plant?

you would have to have 4-6 of these on one of YOUR plants.:rolleyes: ...

also, here is what SH says about youtr lights.:eek:
-the advantage of cfls, is little heat. these lights are not as powerful as hid.BUT, they will work with your stealth hydro kit...

this is them trying to sell you more of thier high priced product. shameless.

-we have grown some 8 foot bean plants, however, we do recommend growing smaller , pruned plants. like basil, parsley, and mint...

they never said how many of these contraptions they used to grow a spindly 8 foot bean pole.;) .

then they go on to tell you how your savig money by using thie product...blah, blah, blah...

soo, theres another option straight from the camels mouth, grow smaller, pruned plants. blah...

and the price for growing basil? $199.00 + shipping.:eek: ;) ...
and the price of growing weed with an HID = Priceless...bb...

I was thinking the same thing this morning while going through all this and researching a little more. I have added two 100 watt (soft white) on the plant to help with more red. The bulbs to do this correctly will run $90 or so dollars. I see the big mistake i made with this. However, let's say i splurge and buy the lights for veg and another set for flowering will this be good for two plants?

the setup you now have, is perfect for vegging. (sorry 'bout that one). but if you want the buds i know you do, i'd seriously go with a 250, or 400w hps (high pressure sodium). this will be your 12/12 , flowering light.

imo, you would just be mad at yourself if you got the 250. after the first complete grow, i can almost guarantee you'll wish you went with the 400 hps.:cool: .

i think it was the 2nd link i posted on the lumatek, that is a sale price, and will not last long. not trying to sell you on anything, just pointing out a great deal, that even i may have to jump on. its a top notch ballast and light, and reflectors. worth well over twice as much as thier asking.;) :cool: .

i have a 400, and i can do 6 indicas easily. was just gifted for my bday a 250 MH, (metal halide).:D :cool: ...bb...

banjobuzz said:
the setup you now have, is perfect for vegging. (sorry 'bout that one). but if you want the buds i know you do, i'd seriously go with a 250, or 400w hps (high pressure sodium). this will be your 12/12 , flowering light.

imo, you would just be mad at yourself if you got the 250. after the first complete grow, i can almost guarantee you'll wish you went with the 400 hps.:cool: .

i think it was the 2nd link i posted on the lumatek, that is a sale price, and will not last long. not trying to sell you on anything, just pointing out a great deal, that even i may have to jump on. its a top notch ballast and light, and reflectors. worth well over twice as much as thier asking.;) :cool: .

i have a 400, and i can do 6 indicas easily. was just gifted for my bday a 250 MH, (metal halide).:D :cool: ...bb...

Sorry, a little confused but I think it may have been on my end of questioning. If I decide to keep this light system and purchase the correct bulbs (two for growth(41K) and two for bloom(30K)) and switch them in the correct stages would that be beneficial or am I really just better off buying a new system that will work for 3 or less plants without all the hassle of bulb switching?

I hope i am not aggrivating you with this, just trying to get a better grasp on the issue in easier terms. I appreciate you answering honestly.

hey easyliving, not a problem. were here to learn from each other. my math figures are'nt the best, so i really cannot say. i do know there is no comparison between the two, hid, and cfl. imo. someone may see it differently.

i can point you towards hemp goddess. her figures on lighting are much more on than mine. let me see if we can get her to take a look.

sorry i could'nt be more help...bb...

like banjo said ur setup now will work fine for veg if i was u i would look into getting a HPS for flowering probly be cheaper in long run then buying more bulbs for the setup u have now.And if the godess does stop in take what she says to heart;)

it would also help if we knew the size of your grow area then we could point u at the right light for the room u have IMO

In order to say if you have adequate light or not you have to look at your grow room size. Sq ft is the only number you really need to worry about when looking at lumen output. You can get away with less than 5000 lumens per sq ft during veg, but if you want dense beastly buds try and get the lumens above 5000 for flower.

Hope that helps some!

EasyLiving29 said:
Sorry, a little confused but I think it may have been on my end of questioning. If I decide to keep this light system and purchase the correct bulbs (two for growth(41K) and two for bloom(30K)) and switch them in the correct stages would that be beneficial or am I really just better off buying a new system that will work for 3 or less plants without all the hassle of bulb switching?

I hope i am not aggrivating you with this, just trying to get a better grasp on the issue in easier terms. I appreciate you answering honestly.

Your light is inadequate. Strain could also be a factor, but, IMO, it is mostly your lighting. I would advise you not to waste any more money on those bulbs. For around $100 you can purchase a 400W HPS from HTG. No matter what spectrum bulbs you have, those fluoros will never produce anything close to what a HPS will. You are running 315W and getting an "unbelievable 17000 lumens". Sorry, but this is sales hype...17000 lumens from 315 watts is nothing special. If you were running 316W of T5, you would be getting 20000 lumens. If you were running 250W HPS, you would be getting 28500 lumens. If you were running 300W of HPS (2 150W fixtures), you would be getting about 30000 lumens. If you were running 400W HPS, you would be getting 50000-55000 lumens. And watt per watt and lumen per lumen, CFLs put out as much heat as a HPS.

Well I don't think it fair to say fluoro's are inadequate.:holysheep:

If you know what you are doing 300w will yield up to 300g,yes 300g of premium bud under fluoro,so it's not fair to say it's inadequate as that might be plenty for some peoples purposes.

Hps is better,yields more,but for small grows 300w fluoro is adequate for a small scrog with 12 inch cola's and I have seen one that yielded 1.1gm/watt.

Not to be sneered at surely?

Rockster said:

If you know what you are doing 300w will yield up to 300g,yes 300g of premium bud under fluoro,so it's not fair to say it's inadequate as that might be plenty for some peoples purposes.

Hps is better,yields more,but for small grows 300w fluoro is adequate for a small scrog with 12 inch cola's and I have seen one that yielded 1.1gm/watt.

Not knocking you rock but I would love to see a gram per watt on a fluoro grow. It is impossible.

Rockster said:

Sorry Rockster, usually I agree with you, but, Buddyluv is right, 300g from 300W of fluoro is just not going to happen. It is tough to get 1 g per watt with HPS. I'm sorry, but there is just no way that I believe that anyone is going to get 1 g per watt from fluoros.

The 17000 lumens he is running is going to adequately light 3.4 sq ft. or an area about 22" x 22". To expect to be able to pull 10-3/4 ozs from this space with that light is simply unbelievable.

Rockster said:

it is completely fair to say that floros for flower is inadequate....i'm a floro veg kind of guy but anything other than an HPS for bloom is a sin....you CAN flower with floros, but the buds will NOT reach full potential....on the other hand, i'd have to say that floros are by far the best type of lighting for seedling/veg growth..

Everyone's talking about the lights; so, I'll say some different stuff. If it's for sure sativa, and you want it to mature faster, put it in a smaller container and stop giving it nutrients... seriously. I know I'm going to get flack for that, so here is my main source of info on this: hxxp://forum.grasscity.com/stash-jar/289483-ultimate-sativa-thread.html#post3254692
(replace xx with tt)

Unfortunately, it's from another forum. Fortunately, it's quite detailed and informative.

So then there's the response of don't believe everything you read. Yup, I've seen a few decent sativas grown under a flourecent light and an incandescent (I'm sure I mispelled at least one of those) light bulb. They were tiny as all get out... like hilariously tiny. Teeniness aside, they had good bud formation and were healthy. Well, one got infested with spider mites... Anyhoo, it's the general pricipal that's important.

Also, I have a feeling that genetics may play a role in this saga as well. Some plants just don't get the coverage or development that others do. I think that every time I see a Cambodian strain. They always look so sparce and airy to me. So the buds on your plant may never get as full and sugary as you think they should. Make no mistake; they could definitely use some help right now. But don't expect a miricle this late in the grow. If your buds are airy and undercovered, then they're probably going to end up that way. The good news is that you can grow a sativa almost as long as you want, assuming you have the room and patience. So you can definitely at least bring it up to code.

I'm not sure why your leaf tips are burned like that. It isn't bad and doesn't seem that important, but could have some impact. I doubt it, but you never know.

Oh, and get that thing as close to your light as possible without damaging it!

Thank you to EVERYONE! This all makes perfect sense now. My grow room is 3 feet by 4 feet. I will be making a visit to my local grow shop this afternoon to replace this light. Now with this being said, I am looking to get between 150 HPS - 400 HPS is that correct? Secondly, once I have this style unit there is no reason for bulb changing during the plants life stages, correct?

Again I am here to learn from you all, and I may be a little slow. Light was obviously not my strong point on this first grow. In addition, as for the burn tips that happened early on when I switched to better nutrients (GH) and wasn't paying attention (Trust me I pay better attention now LOL).

I posted a new thread called 2nd grow (newbie) not sure how to post it on here as a link (still new to all of this)...please feel free to look over and help me fine tune it to what makes basic sense as a grower and exhange any info you might have. I love the art of growing and I enjoy studying this science.

Thanks again.

BuddyLuv said:
Not knocking you rock but I would love to see a gram per watt on a fluoro grow. It is impossible.

Ha! Thats where you are wrong I'm afraid.:)

Just go to uk420 and look at Blabberbab's microgrow scrog.

I Don't bull****.

PUFF MONKEY said:
it is completely fair to say that floros for flower is inadequate....i'm a floro veg kind of guy but anything other than an HPS for bloom is a sin....you CAN flower with floros, but the buds will NOT reach full potential....on the other hand, i'd have to say that floros are by far the best type of lighting for seedling/veg growth..

Sorry,thats total tosh.I've seen and grown fluoro buds that I could tell you were done under hps and you'd believe me.

If you keep to small clones or a tight scrog you can still get very impressive cola's no problem at all.

Hps actually overheats top cola's which is actually a kind of stress but lets face it everything in a growroom is a poor approximation of nature but my fluoro bud is every bit as good as my hps,just a lot less of it.

I cut my growing teeth in the 70's using 5 foot Grolux horticultural flouro tubes before you could get HPS easily.

Rockster said:
Ha! Thats where you are wrong I'm afraid.:)

Just go to uk420 and look at Blabberbab's microgrow scrog.

I Don't bull****.
..evidence that there is an exception to every rule..;) even if true, it is not the norm, nor often achieved even by the most experienced growers..
the fact remains that a HID is more efficient and with 'limited' skills, will produce more and higher quality buds watt per watt... dollar per dollar

The Hemp Goddess said:
Sorry Rockster, usually I agree with you, but, Buddyluv is right, 300g from 300W of fluoro is just not going to happen. It is tough to get 1 g per watt with HPS. I'm sorry, but there is just no way that I believe that anyone is going to get 1 g per watt from fluoros.

The 17000 lumens he is running is going to adequately light 3.4 sq ft. or an area about 22" x 22". To expect to be able to pull 10-3/4 ozs from this space with that light is simply unbelievable.

It can,does,and has happened and was with domestic cfl's!

As per my other post,go to uk420 and find Blabberbabs micro diary.If memory serves,this micro grow was one of a series,each one an improvement over the last.I've seen the pics and the guy is a friend of a friend who confirmed it.

It is a perfectly trained little garden which is a just a mass of very short cola's.

I don't blame you for doubting,if you said that to me I'd be asking questions myself?

Bet you've never a seen a 2g/watt organic hps grow have you ha ha!:p

Hick said:
..evidence that there is an exception to every rule..;) even if true, it is not the norm, nor often achieved even by the most experienced growers..
the fact remains that a HID is more efficient and with 'limited' skills, will produce more and higher quality buds watt per watt... dollar per dollar

Sure Hick mate,this was a rare example of what can be done with skill,luck and experience and I'm pretty sure I could never achieve this without many attempts if ever but it's just that I've grown some sublime pot under fluoro and felt as a light system it was getting an unfair shake in this thread as some were saying 300w could not produce a single well finished plant which is nonsense.

The original subject was apparent non appearance of trichs and you can't blame fluoro for that.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Your light is inadequate. Strain could also be a factor, but, IMO, it is mostly your lighting. I would advise you not to waste any more money on those bulbs. For around $100 you can purchase a 400W HPS from HTG. No matter what spectrum bulbs you have, those fluoros will never produce anything close to what a HPS will. You are running 315W and getting an "unbelievable 17000 lumens". Sorry, but this is sales hype...17000 lumens from 315 watts is nothing special. If you were running 316W of T5, you would be getting 20000 lumens. If you were running 250W HPS, you would be getting 28500 lumens. If you were running 300W of HPS (2 150W fixtures), you would be getting about 30000 lumens. If you were running 400W HPS, you would be getting 50000-55000 lumens. And watt per watt and lumen per lumen, CFLs put out as much heat as a HPS.

Here is what I purchased:

HTGSupply 400 watt High Pressure Sodium Grow Light

400 watt HPS Grow Light HPS system

An incredible value, this High Pressure Sodium 400 watt grow light system includes a top quality HPS ballast, super efficient reflector hood and high performance lamp / grow light bulb. This is a better value in grow lights than you would find at any other hydroponics store.
LIGHTING BALLAST AND HOUSING

Dimensions: 9" long x 4" wide x 5.5" tall
The grow light ballast is a brand new REMOTE 400 watt HPS ballast, with an innovative design that separates the ballast core away from the capacitor and igniter components to provide high performance and long life. This grow light ballast is made to our specifications with high output lighting results for horticulture / hydroponics / indoor gardening use. The High Pressure Sodium grow light ballast also features a convenient retractable handle with large keyholes for wall or ceiling mounting options. The lighting ballast also has over-sized rubber feet for electrical safety and quiet operation. The 8 foot power cord and 10 foot light bulb output cords are constructed of the highest quality, heavy gauge industrial grade electrical cord usually seen on grow lights costing much more. The HPS ballast is pre-set and ready to plug into standard 110/120 household voltage, but can easily be changed to 220/240 volts. The High Pressure Sodium 400 watt High Pressure Sodium grow light ballast will operate any standard or horticultural 400 watt High Pressure Sodium lamps and 400 watt Metal Halide Conversion lamps. The universal socket set can be used with many other reflectors for future upgrades including air-cooled reflectors, umbrella style hoods or many other grow light reflector hoods, making this system a great value in hydroponic and indoor gardening lighting.

FOUR-SIDED HORIZONTAL GROW LIGHT REFLECTOR
Dimensions: 15.5" long x 12.5" wide x 6" deep
This quality grow light system features a lighting reflector hood that is a highly efficient FOUR sided reflector. This top of the line HORIZONTAL REFLECTOR is made from the HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS available! Specifically designed for growing plants indoors, this reflector incorporates a steel socket and reflector bracket, 5kv Pulse Rated Mogul Based socket and highly reflective polished aluminum reflector. The highly polished aluminum reflector has a mirror-like finish rated at 95% reflectivity for MAXIMUM LIGHT OUTPUT. This grow light reflector hood is built to last a lifetime and can easily be cleaned with common household window cleaner. The grow lights Horizontal lamp configuration design allows for the greatest light coverage over the top of your indoor garden area while providing the highest light intensity levels possible. It is widely recognized that the BEST design for horticultural and hydroponic reflectors is the HORIZONTAL REFLECTOR design incorporated with this reflector. Additionally, this versatile grow light reflector can be used as a 4 sided reflector or as a completely adjustable BATWING reflector. This grow light reflector hood comes with two heavy duty steel hangers to hang your reflector from and a 10’ cord from the reflector to the remote 400 watt High Pressure Sodium ballast housing

400 WATT HPS LIGHT BULB

This standard bulb emits 50,000 lumens with a rated life span of 24,000 hours.
Features:
  • 50,000 lumens
  • 24,000 hour rated life
  • mogul base
  • universal mounting position

Latest posts

Back