A lil' bit of advice plz.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greendave

Reaction score
Currently have a 1000w mh light. just wondering if it is going to make a big difference if i finish under a 1000w hps? Also, how large a grow area should i be able to use under my 1000w mh?

It depends... outside of spectrum issues (which is arguable over total impact), the hps will kick out almost a third more lumens initially. This becomes most noticeable over the outside areas & penetration depth... you can go wider & deeper w the hps. Outside of this, both will flower the plant well, though side-by-sides will look/perform differently- nothing to worry on now. With the right hood/set-up, you can cover a 5'x5' with an hps, though outside nugs will be lesser in qual. Best brah.

Hi,

I have a couple observations to share although it's doesn't really answer your question directly... I have a new closet grow setup and I used a SolarMax Dual Arc 1K (600w HPS/400w MH in one bulb) for the first 5 weeks. In week 6 I swapped the Dual Arc out with a 1K Hortilux HPS and although they were flowering pretty profusely they shifted gears within a day of using the HPS and had lots of new pistils developing at a faster pace.

I've never grown this strain before so I don't have anything to compare it to. Today is day 49 and tomorrow I'll start the flush as they are ripening up nice. Next bloom cycle I'm going to use the Dual Arc for only the first 3 or 4 weeks and switch sooner as they do need more of the red spectrum the later into flowering it goes from what I've read.

Peace!:cool:

some growers do use mh for vegging then switch to hps for flowering ,and for how large a grow area depends on the lumens of your mh bulb ,, say a 1000w mh bulb with 140,000 lumens would house a 20 square ft just fine .

It will make a difference, imo. HPS will intensify the flowering process better then MH. You CAN flower with MH, but it will be a little stereched out and less dense, imo.

Latest posts

Back