About ready for the chop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkie

Reaction score
I have just started to flush my 1st 3 soil grown lemon haze plants, I'm switching them to 10 hours light for the last week, does anyone have any suggestions to bring out the best from these girl's?, my cheese plants are now in the 3rd week of growth in my hydro system & seem to be getting so big so quickly under my 600w sodium cool tube light, ph 5.8 ec 1.6, super cropped and sprouting everywhere :)

Happy Harvesting...I dont mess with my light schedule ...and Hydro does seem have a faster growth...any pics of these ladies?

Do you have a 30x or stronger magnifying lense to look at the trichomes? That is key for getting them just right. I have a 30x jeweler's loupe that I use. I recommend for general use that you let them get to all cloudy trics with about 10-20% amber trics mixed in. If you like a more body stone then let them go until you have 20-40% amber. If you like a more heady high then pull them at 0-10% amber.

I also recommend that you cut and trim the buds as you go before drying as trimming afterwards is a real pain and a lot slower.

Yup trim em wet after chop dont wait to start dryin cause trimmen be no fun then ;)

BWD

I trim the fan leafs and anything that dont have trichs on it. I then hang the plant untill semi dry and then trim the buds off into brown bag..let stay in the bag a few days and then My girl "Manicures" the buds. trim she keeps and we make Dry ice hash with..Best to have a few snippers as they get icky-sticky fast...we soak ours in ISO...

wet trim is the best way i know to ruin good buds....

dont smoke round that iso stuff reckon been down that flamin trail rememberin the flames still chasin me right down to the crick soak a might there afterwords. Iso and flame aint mixin well ;)

BWD

How long was flowering? I'm curious. (My past four harvests have turned up nothing and my present is entering final stages - I hope.)

Also when harvesting dont trim the buds off the stems right away, as they hold alot of moisture and will help the buds to dry a lil slower! slower drying makes for smoother smoke! Its one of the rookie mistakes I made when first starting out! it was good but a lil harsh, once the stems harden up but not to the point they snap when bent, just before, theyre ready to be removed from the stem and go into the jars!. there will still be moisture inside the buds even though the exterior will feel dry. you will need to burp the jars to exchange air and release moisture. the first week I burp twice a day and the second week once a day. after that any additional curing is completely on your judgement, but this is the minimum for me, I make some really smooth smoking shizzle! IMO,just trying to help!

You all have given me some really good valuable information, thanks all on this topic :) cheers

4u2sm0ke said:
Happy Harvesting...I dont mess with my light schedule ...and Hydro does seem have a faster growth...any pics of these ladies?

I have 4 plants in a hydro system as well, the 3 soil plants were my 1st attempt, my iPad does not support the thing to make my pics smaller so no pics :-(

Hushpuppy said:
Do you have a 30x or stronger magnifying lense to look at the trichomes? That is key for getting them just right. I have a 30x jeweler's loupe that I use. I recommend for general use that you let them get to all cloudy trics with about 10-20% amber trics mixed in. If you like a more body stone then let them go until you have 20-40% amber. If you like a more heady high then pull them at 0-10% amber.

I also recommend that you cut and trim the buds as you go before drying as trimming afterwards is a real pain and a lot slower.

I don't have a magnifying glass but will make sure I got 1 before my hydro grow is ready for the chop :)

ifsixwasnin9 said:
How long was flowering? I'm curious. (My past four harvests have turned up nothing and my present is entering final stages - I hope.)

What do you mean by your last 4 grows have produced nothing?

Did you have female plants etc?

What type of lighting do you use etc?

What do you mean by your last 4 grows have produced nothing?
Triches never changed color (no amber, etc.). Different strains (Hawaiian Snow, Acapulco Gold, etc.) in organic soil and waited more than 15-16 weeks (of flowering). Used HPS 2x250 on 3 plants, only produced body high, no head high. Used foxfarm on final 2 months, commercial nutes on previous months. (Present crop using foxfarm all the way thru.)

Sparkie said:
does anyone have any suggestions to bring out the best from these girl's?

To answer the original question, Dont flush them and dont change your lights to 10 hours, 12-12.

and trimming dry buds is torture. IMO.

@ifsixwasnin9, if you let your plants go past their harvest mark they will have a more body stone less head stone. look at the trichs to go from clear to milky. then chop. some strains wont amber much at all. Just sayin! it was a lil hard for me to tell at first but i eventually figured to take a piece out of the grow room, turn lights off in room at night and put the piece on a black background. also use 30x or greater microscope i have an active eye 100x, this helped me to see the milkyness better!

Dman1234 said:
To answer the original question, Dont flush them and dont change your lights to 10 hours, 12-12.

and trimming dry buds is torture. IMO.

Ok w
I will keep to 12/12 but surely if I don't flush the nutrients they ain't gonna smoke as well etc??

Again thanks for the info :)

I hear ya but you will find most here do not flush, properly cured bud tastes as good as any,

flushing and withholding nutes the last couple waterings are 2 totally different things.

I never flush and quite often I feed right up to the chop. Jmo

Starving plants the last couple of weeks never made sense to me. While I will often just top up the bucket with plain water the last week or so, sometimes, like Hamster, I will feed right up to the chop. Improper drying and curing is what makes bud harsh.

What is the thinking behind lowering the light to 10 hours?

Latest posts

Back