Air Cooled Hood vs. Cooling The Room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bwanabud said:
Stick with the 6" PCD recommended....I bought the Vortex 8", it'll suck the chrome off a trailer hitch ball :)

I could say something here but I'm gonna restrain myself lol. :hubba:

BoneMan1000 said:
Thankyou, I'm all straightened out now. Air-cooled hood and 6" fan. I'm in the northeast USA, Massachusetts, so that seems to fit your recommendation. Thanks for taking the time, and thanks to everyone.

BTW, great site you guys have going here, very laid back and helpful. Just another example of the terrific medicinal qualities of our favorite herb. :)
nice too see another northeast grower here.

BoneMan1000 said:
The negatives are that the glass in the hood can cut the lumen output by up to 10%, and also having air move across the bulb can cause a voltage drop decreasing light output even more, up to 25% total loss of lumen output with this setup

WOW:eek: ...
thats alot of lost lumens. means my 600w 90k bulb looses 22,500 lumens.. lol...
im a lil sceptical on this..

LH

I have been doing electronics for about 20 years and have never heard of anything like that. I can't see where air blowing across the bulb would cause a voltage drop. Maybe if the inner bulb were exposed to rapid cooling where it couldn't maintain the necessary temperatures to properly fire the gasses within, you then could have considerable losses, but then the bulb would probably fail pretty quick. I am willing to bet that is **. :)

Hushpuppy said:
I have been doing electronics for about 20 years and have never heard of anything like that. I can't see where air blowing across the bulb would cause a voltage drop. Maybe if the inner bulb were exposed to rapid cooling where it couldn't maintain the necessary temperatures to properly fire the gasses within, you then could have considerable losses, but then the bulb would probably fail pretty quick. I am willing to bet that is **. :)

i figured as much hush...
from what i gathered and got from that video was that its his new product and hes trying to "sell" em...:ignore: ..... "the wave of the future" lol......
LH

I have a 3 speed can fan and had to put the filter on the outside of the tent. So I pull the air out of the tent through the filter. On the other side I have the tent right next to the outflow of a window air conditioner I use to air condition my bedroom. The temp fluctuates between 72 and 78 generally, usually staying close to 74. I have changing the temp on the air conditioner to an art depending on the weather outside. I just don't have the extra electric to put another exhaust fan for the light itself. This seems to work fine for me.

LEFTHAND said:
i figured as much hush...
from what i gathered and got from that video was that its his new product and hes trying to "sell" em...:ignore: ..... "the wave of the future" lol......
LH

My thinking after watching that video was yes, he's trying to move product, but I also thought that there's some truth to what he was saying but that he cooked the percentages.

BoneMan1000 said:
My thinking after watching that video was yes, he's trying to move product, but I also thought that there's some truth to what he was saying but that he cooked the percentages

ahhh buzz kill, keep it to yourself PLEASE

sMACkaddict said:
ahhh buzz kill, keep it to yourself PLEASE

Oops, sorry, I knew after writing it I chose the wrong analogy. A buzz kill indeed.

sMACkaddict said:
Haha lets leave the politricksters outta this:icon_smile:

Not only have I been slapped on the wrist but I've been censored too. :angrywife:

And all I did was state a fact. :D

Lesson learned though.

I have a lumen counter. After reading this thread I checked yesterday my lights. I took a reading with the blower on, and off. No difference what so ever.
My 2 cents.

The negatives are that the glass in the hood can cut the lumen output by up to 10%,

Is there any truth to this part of that statement??

The negatives are that the glass in the hood can cut the lumen output by up to 10%,

I did a little research on this and the info I gathered stated a 2 to 4% loss per surface area. There are 2 surfaces to a piece of glass so that would be a total loss of 4 to 8%. These percentages are from an bare bulb set perpendicular to a piece of glass as it would be in an a/c hood with glass.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but air cooling a bulb increases the life of the bulb if it's cooled evenly. uneven expansion and contraction from heating and cooling non uniformly decreases the durability of any and everything over time.

IMO and experience it's best to keep anything that gives off heat as cool as possible unless you're talking about a heater or something that is meant to be giving off heat.

pcduck said:
I did a little research on this and the info I gathered stated a 2 to 4% loss per surface area. There are 2 surfaces to a piece of glass so that would be a total loss of 4 to 8%. These percentages are from an bare bulb set perpendicular to a piece of glass as it would be in an a/c hood with glass.

Also i was thinking about cooltubes... curved glass reflects light differently also which may in turn cause a bit more lumen loss.

pcduck said:
These percentages are from an bare bulb set perpendicular to a piece of glass as it would be in an a/c hood with glass.
Not trying to be a smartass, but doesbt the light sit parallel?

sMACkaddict said:
Not trying to be a smartass, but doesbt the light sit parallel?

Yes but the light being emitted from the bulb is perpendicular

A line is perpendicular to another if it meets or crosses it at right angles (90°).

Latest posts

Back