Alzheimer's & Cannabis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A lot has been written about the potential dangers of marijuana and the health risks associated with the drug- including short-term memory loss. So it may seem surprising that scientists have found it can have the complete opposite effect on people with Alzheimer's.

Cannabis plants may offer hope to people with Alzheimer's. One of the 400 compounds in cannabis is about to be trusted in human trials to see if it can delay the onset of memory loss.

"Cannabis, as it is normally smoked, has mind blowing properties and there are compounds in there which has these hallucinogenic properties," explains cannabis expert Tony Moffat. "However, some of the indications for Alzheimer's in a mouse model is just a single compound that's used from cannabis plant material which is extracted and it can stop the memory loss."

Studies of mice have shown that the cannabis derivative, which is not hallucinogenic, can prevent the progression to memory loss of Alzheimer's disease.

"The treatment opportunities for Alzheimer's disease are so few, it is incurable. The drugs that exist at the moment aren't suitable for everybody. So there being other drugs available, I'm sure will be a positive thing for patients," said Dr. Suzanne Sorenson of the Alzheimer's Society.

From cannabis, a plant known to be damaging to the mind, might yet come a medicine that will protect nerve cells in the brain.

According to the Alzheimer's Association, someone is diagnosed with the disease every 72 seconds. Alzheimer's disease affects an estimated 24 million people worldwide.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/3as9cp

How cool is that!!!

I wonder if the mj expert is a smoker himself....lol.

I've read where those of us who smoke now, or who may have smoked regularly at some time in the past, may not get alzheimers at all.

Just in case this is true, :bong1: :bong1: :bong1: :bong1: :bong1: :bong1: :bong1: :bong1: :bong1: :rofl:

wow, mj as a prevenative measure. Time to smoke my mama up!!! :p

Its funny you posted this cuz I just googled alzheimers marijuana yesterday and there were even youtube news clips of it.. I guess every study they did on mice and rats concluded that it stopped alzheimers.
Rats were induced with a alzheimers like disease. Then half of them were not given anything and the other half were given a form of mj.
The half that were given mj remembered how to get to a water bowl everytime and the untreated half never remembered.

FruityBud said:
From cannabis, a plant known to be damaging to the mind, might yet come a medicine that will protect nerve cells in the brain.

Oh the irony of not knowing that one's irony is false, or as Obi-Wan Kenobi said, "who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

FruityBud said:
From cannabis, a plant known to be damaging to the mind...

I'd like to know what chuckle head added this line to that article. Speculation Train! CHOO CHOO

wish I knew this earlier, I would have smoked right there in the hospital with my grandma, but who was to say i was her grandchild, she didnt know:rolleyes:

Very interesting information. Either way, Im going to be blazing up. I want to remember all those times I blazed up with the friends.!!!

Latest posts

Back