Am I the only one who can't get high from EATING dope?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Effen Gee said:
I don't know about that...plain ingested cannabis WILL have an effect. There's a whole lot more stuff in "Weed" than just THC d-9. Usually more than 5 to 6 hundred depending on the strain. Sativa has more THC content than indica.

If you eat plain unground bud I am certain you will feel SOMETHING. But effects from THC...negative.

I am currently looking for the information I had when overgrow.com was still alive. I read a few different studies done in the US and another done by an international board. The studies proved that in fact THC does have to be heated, which converts it to a form the body can dissolve. THC alone, when properly extracted can resemble a heavy petroleum product, like tar almost. This substance is literally passed through your digestive system.

Regardless of the origin of the peanut butter it really does not make a diffrence. ALL peanuts have large amounts of fat in them. Ever seen one burn?

As soon as I can (If I can) locate the hard data or even a article I will post ti immediately to remove some doubt that I see here.

Even the ancients knew you had to heat Hashish to properly use it in an edible form. Moroccans for the most part still use heat in the hashmaking processes of old.

...and there is no need for the harsh talk here buddy. Plain and simple...some people just do not feel intoxicated, high, fuzzy or lightheaded from edibles. My brother and cousin are perfect examples. Yet my friend/associate cannot ingest cannabis, he immediately starts vomiting...but he can almost smoke anyone under the table.

Perhaps the fact that no two humans are the same can ease such rigidity.

Excellent post. And I would love to see that article if you find it. I also believe that we don't know all there is to know about thc and the other cannabinoids found in mj......or anything else for that matter. I think it's important to keep an open mind when learning and not convince ourselves that we 'know it all'.

I have read many sources that say heat destroys the thc molecule, but how does that reconcile with vaporizing it or burning it up with a lighter? I use a vaporizer that gets very hot and it visibly vaporizes my dope, yet I still get high. Same thing with bong hits...I hold a flame right up against the bud and burn it, but I still manage to get baked. Why doesn't the heat from the lighter or the vaporizer destroy the thc molecule?

The Effen Gee said:
"I've always been very thin and get teased because I eat like a cow. Not sure if that has any bearing..."

Absolutely!

It may be that you have a lightning fast metabolism and need to consume more.

What is your tolerance like?

I can consume amounts of food that would destroy your average human, yet have less than 2% body fat...I mean thin!

I can get pretty high from just one bowl smoked from a bong, so I guess (not sure) that would put my tolerance about average?

But I'm like you...I can eat chocolate cake, cheeseburgers, etc like there's no tomorrow and I've always been thin. My friends have always been jealous of my metabolism and I never thought I'd be cursing it....but this may be the downside. I may have to accept that I just can't get high from eating the stuff.

The thing I find peculiar tho is that I can take various drugs, like advil or antibiotics and they seem to make their way into my blood stream thru my stomach... :confused:

HI guys,
I've read the post here and wow, some are quite strong about some points, to be honest I don't know any studies or heat issues with MJ so I'm no expert or anything for that matter. I can say I've made brownies many, many times, and I get high as a kite, it's a heavy body stone compared to head/body stone by smoking... I add a half ounce to a regular brownie mix and follow cooking directions. Whether it is true or not I was told it's the fat while cooking that helps extract whatever gets you high. I also have read many posts by POTUS and feel he is one of the most knowledgeable posters here so I don't want to step on toes with my ignorance, but I can speak from personal experience. It's quite possible the cooking didn't have anything to do with it and there was enough weed that didn't get damaged by the heat. Regardless, I get baked and yes a half ounce is alot but it also toasts an easy dozen people or so. :p

Rehab is for Quitters said:
Stoney, everything you have posted makes perfect scientific sense to me. But do you know why the effect would be different if taken orally or inhaled? Why would you get a "different high" if you absorb the exact same drug thru your stomach lining vs thru your lungs? Is there a scientific explanation for this?

Also, you asked why in the world I would keep trying at this if it isn't working for me. Simple reason, I have kids and eating mj would me much more discreet imo. So if there is a way to make this work, I'd like to find it. It could be that I just don't absorb much thru my stomach lining. I've always been very thin and get teased because I eat like a cow. Not sure if that has any bearing, but I really would like to understand it, so everyone's comments are much appreciated.

It's easy. When smoked, it enters the blood/brain barrier much faster than through the digestive system. More is absorbed faster.

TEG: I'm sorry man, but it's already a proven fact that MJ doesn't have to be heated to go through the blood/brain barrier.

Don't waste a bunch of time trying to find something that simply doesn't exist.

MJ works just fine with no heat what-so-ever. I've eaten enough hash to prove it many times. I've eaten MJ and hash oil. It all got me and whomever was with me plenty high.

I'm very sorry, but it isn't debatable any more than the daylight following darkness here on our planet.

I'm not trying to be an azhole about it. It's just already proven.

The New Girl said:
HI guys,
I've read the post here and wow, some are quite strong about some points, to be honest I don't know any studies or heat issues with MJ so I'm no expert or anything for that matter. I can say I've made brownies many, many times, and I get high as a kite, it's a heavy body stone compared to head/body stone by smoking... I add a half ounce to a regular brownie mix and follow cooking directions. Whether it is true or not I was told it's the fat while cooking that helps extract whatever gets you high. I also have read many posts by POTUS and feel he is one of the most knowledgeable posters here so I don't want to step on toes with my ignorance, but I can speak from personal experience. It's quite possible the cooking didn't have anything to do with it and there was enough weed that didn't get damaged by the heat. Regardless, I get baked and yes a half ounce is alot but it also toasts an easy dozen people or so. :p

I'm not saying that you can't get high after heating MJ. Sure you can.

I've done that a bunch of times also.

I'm repeating the scientific fact that thc enters the bloodstream and is psychoactive with no heat at all.

you are not alone as you see i do not get high when i THC either have tried several different times and have naver noticed any change at all, dont know why :confused: i guess it affect certain people in diffrent ways.
if you find a way it works for you post it so i can try it :rolleyes:

Excellent post. And I would love to see that article if you find it. I also believe that we don't know all there is to know about thc and the other cannabinoids found in mj......or anything else for that matter. I think it's important to keep an open mind when learning and not convince ourselves that we 'know it all'.

I have read many sources that say heat destroys the thc molecule, but how does that reconcile with vaporizing it or burning it up with a lighter? I use a vaporizer that gets very hot and it visibly vaporizes my dope, yet I still get high. Same thing with bong hits...I hold a flame right up against the bud and burn it, but I still manage to get baked. Why doesn't the heat from the lighter or the vaporizer destroy the thc molecule?
When smoking MJ, it vaporizes at about 180F. The breakdown of the molecule takes time. That time isn't there when smoked. When heating for several hours as some people have suggested when cooking it, the thc molecule has plenty of time to be destroyed/converted.

When you smoke it, you really aren't vaporizing the entire bunch of molecules. Many "piggy-back" into your lungs via the vapor from the surrounding molecules.

Y'all are wearing me out.

Seriously, I've learned all of this from reading great amounts of data from studies over the years. Lots of the data from decades ago is just as accurate as now. They simply have lots more data now about parts of it that are much more detailed. It didn't change the data, it increased it on top of what was there already.

A very small percentage of the data from as far back as the 1950's has been proven incorrect. Almost all of it has been greatly expanded in it's depth.

Peace !

For those of you that wish to educate yourself more about the marijuana blood/brain barrier and how it works, just do a search in either Google or the latest greatest engine named "Cuil".

Type Cuil in Google and then use that search engine. It's results are pretty good and it's done different that Google is.

Try a search in both on: marijuana blood brain barrier

It's fun to learn.

As a side note, I want to make it clear to all that I certainly don't think of myself as a "know-it-all". After being a learning freak for most of my 74 years, I've managed to retain quite a bit of what I've learned. There are, of course, trillions of things that I don't know, but what I have learned and remembered covers a pretty good range of topics and detail.

I never say I know something unless I've learned what it is that I'm talking about from reputable sources.

Please forgive me if I sound like a "know-it-all", I certainly don't wish to give that impression.

I am confident in what knowledge I do have.

Each two weeks, I get three books, or sometimes more, to read. Two are always what I call junk food, and one or more is always something to learn. I read the learning book first each time.

I read pretty fast. About 100 to 150 pages in the two hours I read each night.

Hey, I'm too old to do anything else when I go to bed....

hehe, besides, no women in her right mind would want to see me naked!

I'm still looking for that blind women who loves older men!

As for the anal pot intake, anyone that wants to try that is all on their own. I aint goin there....

Youse guys are killin me!

I am using the same weed I smoke in a bong (dried, cured) and I chop it up into an almost dust-like consistency.
im taking high grade weed put it threw a coffee grinder till its pretty much powder i use an oz. for a pound or butter a bit more than needed but it pays in the end i put the butter in the pot and melt it then add the bud stir it around so it dont stick to the bottom and slowly a 2 cups of water and let it simmer as long as possible an hour or two will do but the longer the more all the cannibinoids breakdown i try 16-18 no longer than 24 or it will start to degrade fast after you simmered it strain it thru some cheese cloth let it cool a little then pour it into a big bowl and put it into the freezer overnight the butter will rise and the water will freeze at the bottom take a spoon and take out the butter it will look mint green if its done rite darker the stronger it is then freeze it or it will go bad just take out what you need when you need it substitute with anything that takes butter even to grease the brownie pan you can do the same thing with vegi oil or peanut oil its so strong i have to wear latex gloves to make it becuase it will come rite threw the skin you can rub it on yourself im not recomending this but it will get you high:hubba:i always get bombed when i eat buds i get crazy couchlocked sometimes its a bit overwhelming ;)

"I've eaten enough hash to prove it many times. I've eaten MJ and hash oil. It all got me and whomever was with me plenty high."

There have been recorded peoples who could eat and digest glass. Everyone is different.

"I'm very sorry, but it isn't debatable any more than the daylight following darkness here on our planet."

This kind of mentality is discouraging to some of us younger folks...

Apology accepted. I would very much like to see the study you refer to. No card pulling I just want to be sure I spread proper information.
"Absorption from an oral dose of 20 mg THC in a chocolate cookie was described as slow and unreliable (Agurell, et al., 1986), with a systemic availability of only 4 to 12% (Ohlsson, et al., 1980). While most subjects had peak plasma THC concentrations between 1 to 2 hours, some of the 11 subjects only peaked at 6 hours and many had more than one peak."

hxxp://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/how-comment/medpract/infoprof/clinical-clinique-eng.php

From all the studies I have read (here is merely one example) the studying company contracted to do the task always uses either cooked edibles (above) Marinol (above) or smoked cannabis.

There is no evidence to support plain ingested cannabis will get you "High" from the THC processed trough your digestion.

There is also not ONE method of extracting THC that does not chemically alter it one way or another.

The Effen Gee said:
"I've eaten enough hash to prove it many times. I've eaten MJ and hash oil. It all got me and whomever was with me plenty high."

There have been recorded peoples who could eat and digest glass. Everyone is different..

No they aren't in this case. The glass argument is silly.

The Effen Gee said:
"I'm very sorry, but it isn't debatable any more than the daylight following darkness here on our planet."

This kind of mentality is discouraging to some of us younger folks.....

If you argue with proven facts, you'll get discouraged every time.

The Effen Gee said:

Apology accepted. I would very much like to see the study you refer to. No card pulling I just want to be sure I spread proper information.

No apology was offered and none was needed.

You may spread whatever you like. The information is out there. YOU find it, or not. If you wish to stay ignorant and spread bull, then do so.

I'm not going to argue any more about it.

Anyone who wishes can find the truth of the matter.

If you tell me that cheese is on the moon, I'm not finding a study that proves you wrong. Believe what you want.

I'm done with this baloney.

Since I have the information and studies to back up my personal education on the matter I am going to disregard the claims that I am "Misinformed".

I do not appreciate being accuse of sreading "bull". especially from someone far away...who refuses to play nice....or back up the argument for that matter. I do respect my elders...but I have zero tolerance for grumpyness. Or a general sour tone directed at me.

I am also awaiting information that states my findings are wrong.....

Similarly, following oral doses, THC and its biotransformation products are excreted in both faeces and urine. Biliary excretion is the major route of elimination with about half of a radiolabelled oral dose being recovered from the faeces within 72 hours as contrasted with 10 to 15% recovered from urine. Less than 5% of an oral dose is recovered unchanged in the faeces. Following administration of a single oral dose, low levels of THC metabolites have been detected for more than 5 weeks in the urine and faeces (Harvey, 1999, p 91-103; Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties,2003).

If THC is not Broken down or converted in anyo way from it's original form...you just **** it out.

p.s. the eating glass reference was to back up a previous point: everyone has a different digestive system. Seems valid here.

Geter-D1 said:
you are not alone as you see i do not get high when i THC either have tried several different times and have naver noticed any change at all, dont know why :confused: i guess it affect certain people in diffrent ways.
if you find a way it works for you post it so i can try it :rolleyes:

I REALLY want to get to the bottom of this- it just does not compute in my mind- so I will definitely let you know if I figure it out. If I can't, maybe we could form a support group...

POTUS said:
When smoking MJ, it vaporizes at about 180F. The breakdown of the molecule takes time. That time isn't there when smoked. When heating for several hours as some people have suggested when cooking it, the thc molecule has plenty of time to be destroyed/converted.

When you smoke it, you really aren't vaporizing the entire bunch of molecules. Many "piggy-back" into your lungs via the vapor from the surrounding molecules.

Y'all are wearing me out.

Seriously, I've learned all of this from reading great amounts of data from studies over the years. Lots of the data from decades ago is just as accurate as now. They simply have lots more data now about parts of it that are much more detailed. It didn't change the data, it increased it on top of what was there already.

A very small percentage of the data from as far back as the 1950's has been proven incorrect. Almost all of it has been greatly expanded in it's depth.

Peace !

Potus (I *think* you are the legendary Stoney Bud, but if not, no offense in calling you Stoney earlier),

I truly appreciate your perspective and what you posted in paragraphs one and two above makes sense to me. But the reason I am slightly skeptical of "old data" is the following: I have many MJ horticulture books. All of them say that curing your dope does not and can not increase potency. Everything says that thc production stops at harvest and your dope will never get any more potent. The only purpose of curing, according to every text I have is to enhance flavor. But I have found that curing does increase potency for me. I emailed one of the famous mj book writers who insisted that my perception that cured mj was more potent was "all in my head". I actually did a mini experiment where I took some white widow and dried and cured the dope....then I used a clone of this same plant and freshly dried (but did not cure) the bud. THEN I had my husband smoke both 2 nights in a row. In his opinion, the cured ww was much more potent ( I didnt tell him which was which). I had the same experience. This of course is at odds with everything I have read, but in my experience cured pot is more potent. So for that reason, I question everything I read.

I don't know what's up with my inability to get stoned from eating pot, but I think it is very interesting and would like to understand it, so I really appreciate everyone's comments.

The Effen Gee said:
Since I have the information and studies to back up my personal education on the matter I am going to disregard the claims that I am "Misinformed".

I do not appreciate being accuse of sreading "bull". especially from someone far away...who refuses to play nice....or back up the argument for that matter. I do respect my elders...but I have zero tolerance for grumpyness. Or a general sour tone directed at me.

If THC is not Broken down or converted in anyo way from it's original form...you just **** it out.

p.s. the eating glass reference was to back up a previous point: everyone has a different digestive system. Seems valid here.

I am going to start reading everything possible to better understand this. If you have any info that you can share, that would be great. I agree with you that people react differently to different chemical compounds and everyone has a different physiology. This is obvious if you scrutinize any medical clinical study. People with the exact same type of cancer respond differently to the same chemo protocol. Everyone is different.

But out of curiousity, I would really like to understand why I cant get baked from eating the stuff.

Yes I am definitely looking for a way to get thc into my system without smoking, but I think I'll pass on this method. :D

HAHAHahha!! im sorry you can't get that trippy high that eating marijuana seems to give :( .. least that's what it does to me, kinda makes me a little trippy but its very slight and good if you know what i mean. :)

Time to just throw every thing to the way side and go for gold. Fast for approx 12hrs, Then eat approx. 7.5 grams worth of those firecrackers, 2.5 grams per sandwich cracker.. then do not smoke or eat for the next 4 hrs, if your not high at all.. id say forget it and go ahead and eat if your hungry :( -- i know its alot of weed to throw at it, dont know what your supply looks like but we gota throw it into high gear here if we're gonna get you high via oral consumption asap! >: )

Potus (I *think* you are the legendary Stoney Bud, but if not, no offense in calling you Stoney earlier),

I truly appreciate your perspective and what you posted in paragraphs one and two above makes sense to me. But the reason I am slightly skeptical of "old data" is the following: I have many MJ horticulture books. All of them say that curing your dope does not and can not increase potency. Everything says that thc production stops at harvest and your dope will never get any more potent. The only purpose of curing, according to every text I have is to enhance flavor. But I have found that curing does increase potency for me. I emailed one of the famous mj book writers who insisted that my perception that cured mj was more potent was "all in my head". I actually did a mini experiment where I took some white widow and dried and cured the dope....then I used a clone of this same plant and freshly dried (but did not cure) the bud. THEN I had my husband smoke both 2 nights in a row. In his opinion, the cured ww was much more potent ( I didn't tell him which was which). I had the same experience. This of course is at odds with everything I have read, but in my experience cured pot is more potent. So for that reason, I question everything I read.

I don't know what's up with my inability to get stoned from eating pot, but I think it is very interesting and would like to understand it, so I really appreciate everyone's comments.

There are several factors at play in what you're asking and stating.

First, the term "stronger" is relative in that it can mean different things to different people. The two basic types of highs experienced by us potheads is the "Mind" type high and the "Body" type high and of course, every step in between the two.

1. Cured weed loses mass. In that loss of mass, (with negligible difference in volume), is the same amount of thc. Thus, you are smoking more thc per/weight of weed per/hit. It's not really "stronger", there is just more of it per/hit.

2. Some of the thc is converted to a more "body" type high. The high will be less "mind" and more "body" as it ages. This also may make it seem "stronger".

3. thc may be produced on the plant for a very very short time after harvest from a fresh growing plant. Much like human hair grows after death of a person. The stored energy in the plant continues to produce as it would while alive, but again, this is for a very, very short time. We're talking a matter of hours in a harvested plant.

4. After the harvest, the cure reduces the mass, (volume and weight), of the plant matter.

As an example, imagine a glass with chocolate in it. Imagine that the chocolate doesn't mix well and settles to the bottom if the glass sits for a day. With one ounce of chocolate in an 8 ounce glass of milk, it has a level of chocolate flavor that is noticeable.

Now, after the chocolate settles for a day, take out half the milk. Then stir it up again and taste it. It's noticeably stronger in flavor. This is because the mass of the milk has been reduced, making the mass of the chocolate increase in RATIO. The chocolate to milk ratio has increased on the side of the chocolate.

This is exactly what happens when marijuana is cured. The mass of the plant matter is reduced dramatically and the ratio between the plant matter and the thc is increased in ratio. The thc becomes stronger because there is more of it in this ratio.

Yes, I am Stoney Bud. I got the proverbial wild hair on my azz and changed my name some time ago. I wanted Elvis, but it was taken......hehe

So if i we're to pack my rump with a couple a cucumber sized cola's .. how long would i have-ta keister em' to get high?? :rofl: :rofl:!!

I've eaten MJ a few times and it always knocked me out!! Try cooking with 5 times the amount you'd use to pack your bowl... Just to be on the safe side...
I'm not much of a cook myself but we always used crazy quantities of weed when cooking with it... A lot more than we could smoke...
Might sound like a waste but got us really high... And not the "different" High POTUS was talking about.... proper high... Maybe even better:fly:
I once drank tea that did nothing... I just boiled my ganja till water was Brown... Tasted awful and didn't work... Bummer...:ignore:
:bolt:

The Effen Gee said:

I do not appreciate being accuse of spreading "bull". especially from someone far away...who refuses to play nice....or back up the argument for that matter. I do respect my elders...but I have zero tolerance for grumpiness. Or a general sour tone directed at me.

If THC is not Broken down or converted in any way from it's original form...you just **** it out.

First, I will give you an apology. As most older people do, I got extremely tired last night and stayed up WAY past my bedtime. As a result, I indeed got grumpy and short of temper. Please forgive my tone in the last post. I'll respond now after a good nights sleep and in a much better frame of mind.

Secondly, I'll address the issues. We seem to be arguing over different topics.

You're quoting text that has to do with the thc being converted by the human body.

I'm talking about it crossing the blood/brain barrier without being changed from it's natural state; i.e. no heat other than the body heat of a human.

No, thc does not change while in the human body. The molecules of thc are taken across the blood/brain barrier and cause a reaction upon the receptors in the brain. This reaction is what is called the "high".

The thc itself is either stored in the fat cells or excreted via urine or feces.

If a human was monitored over 20 or 30 years and every single gram of urine and feces was documented for thc content, then yes, after that period of time the thc would all be recovered.

Over the years, I've read thousands of studies concerning marijuana. I mean that literally. Thousands of studies.

My knowledge of the field comes from this education. Most of these studies were hand-me-downs to one of the 30 or 40 PC's I've owned over the same amount of time. It would take a lot of effort for me to recover each of these studies and quote them to you. I'm not willing to do so.

It's fun to debate, but I have a real time problem in researching the documentation. I have very little time to do so.

I can however, present a challenge to you; I'm saying that you cannot provide any conclusive proof that I'm not correct in saying the following two statements. Conclusive proof is that proof that shows a procedure involving "Scientific Method" to establish the results of the experiments.

1. thc can cross the blood/brain barrier with no heat, other than the human body heat.

2. Over a period of 30 years, every single molecule of thc that enters the human body will leave it in the same molecular form that it entered the body in IF no other thc was consumed during that time period.

If and when you present your evidence, please include the study name and the steps in which it was performed.

Once again, please accept my sincere apology for replying to you while in a state of mind that should have made me keep my typing to myself. In the evenings, I'll stop replying to serious posts when I'm too tired to do so properly.

Please define the exact parameters of what you think you and I are arguing about. I want to make sure we're on the same exact variables involved in the subject.

Latest posts

Back