An idea on CO2 Generation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towelie

RG-400 Smart Towel
Reaction score
An idea struck me and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it? I did some research on Wiki and found this...

"Propane undergoes combustion reactions in a similar fashion to other alkanes. In the presence of excess oxygen, propane burns to form water and carbon dioxide. C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O + heat"

Why spend $300 on a Co2 generator? Why can't I just set my coleman stove in my space for a few minutes every day and light it?

Thoughts?

Why can't I just set my coleman stove in my space for a few minutes every day and light it?
you "can", providing it doesn't overheat your area, but it certainly will NOT produce any significant co2 to benefit your plants.
Proper, flow through ventilation will likely benefit the plants more, than any 'jerry rigged" setup attempt.

have you try yeast and sugar , cheap & easy with good results

3patas said:
have you try yeast and sugar , cheap & easy with good results
... Proper, flow through ventilation will likely benefit the plants more, than any 'jerry rigged" setup attempt.

well my friend i dodnt know for you but it do work i have that "jerry rigged" setup and it working well we just want to smoke and have fun that means 3 to 5 plant max not a room full of it I really think it will help on a closet

3patas said:
well my friend i dodnt know for you but it do work i have that "jerry rigged" setup and it working well we just want to smoke and have fun that means 3 to 5 plant max not a room full of it I really think it will help on a closet

"Proper, flow through ventilation will likely benefit your plants more than any "jerry rigged" setup attempt"

First of all, you haven't a clue how much co2 is being produced. Any significant ventilation will decrease the amount reaching/benefitting the plants.
..IMHO... Without a "controled" environment, where co2 is introduced at a "controled" level, temps are "controled" to utilize the co2, and venting only occurs under "controled" conditions, co2 is a "bust".

Thanks for the help hick,
So what you are saying is that during the dark period, I would be better off just leaving the ventilation running, rather than sealing it off and using a burner to generate CO2?
Under what conditions would it be benificial? I hear people rave about how much CO2 generators help... How much help is it really?

I.ve never, honestly ran a co2 generator. I have however tried the yeast/sugar method, and found "good ventilation" provided just as fast and healthy growth, was a lot less hassle, and didn't stink up the house like a brewery.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think co2 is beneficial at all, "dureing lights off". I believe it is only beneficial to photosynthesis. Plants use co2 and emit 'o' dureing photosynthesis, but quite opposite during the dark.

CO2 is absorbed during the light period only isnt it?? The plant must be taking in light and in a photosynthisis period in order for the proper "sencors" (for the lack of a better word) to take in CO2??

Great info Hick... Are you saying that it is really NOT necessary to ventilate at all during "lights out"?
That could save me a few bucks :D

Towelie said:
Great info Hick... Are you saying that it is really NOT necessary to ventilate at all during "lights out"?
That could save me a few bucks :D
no..that isn't what I'm saying. IMO, ventilation is important dureing both cycles. I believe fresh air is beneficial anytime. But, more is required dureing photosynthesis and for heat reduction, when HID;s are on.

Why would shutting down your circulation save you $$?..'pennies' maybe..but $:rolleyes:

I agree with hick. There's enough co2 in the air outside for the plant. All the trees outside are getting their fill of co2 from the air. And no one is turning off the winds so they can bask in it and soak it up. Fresh air from outside will bring in all the co2 your plants need. Don't even bother with the carbonated water or sugar/yeast stuff. It really only benefits if you have a completely controlled environment as Hick said. Where your ventilation shuts off when your co2 generators or tanks release a set amount into the sealed area for a set amount of time when the lights are on.

i`ve had the same dillema as towelie, thinking co2 is the dogs gonads.i was wrong.
"Hick" also set me streight on this issue,ventilation and good air circulation is all that`s "required."
Good luck man:guitar: :smoke1: :stoned: :smoke1:

I use a kerosene lamp.. leave it on 4-6 hours a day works great.. after 2 hours the room is 800-900 ppm A little higher would be perfect but this helps alot. Cheap too.
The room should be above 80 when adding co2

my sugar and yeast is working fine too i guest every body is diffrent

eh, I know you were looking for cheap ways to create co2 and stuff, but this thing kills 2 birds with one stone so to speak. I was checking out ozone generators for odor control and it said they break down odor and other air pathogens into co2 and oxygen as the by-product. I was looking at using one more for containing the smell, but you can get some added co2 and o2 as a bonus. There are a lot on ebay with prices that aren't that bad. Just a thought.

I already have one... And I did not know they did that!
Thanks for the GREAT info PEW PEW.

You are awesome!

hey guys remember one time some body ask for an idea of how to creat co2 and some body said good ventilation is better then sugar and yeast look at this with that jerry rigged pice of **** 35 days 1st week into flowering under cfl and i had a lock out, nut burn and small pots

tmpphpo94foQ.jpg

tmpphpFIQwFP.jpg

tmpphpM5hU3V.jpg

tmpphpgMfcsp.jpg

tmpphpsaSHfe.jpg

tmpphptmszVf.jpg

tmpphpuLxUOx.jpg

tmpphpvLPNac.jpg

eh??:huh: :stoned:don`t think anyone said that sugar and yeast was useless, i believe "all that is required is good ventilation" was what was said in that thread, no "real" benefits have been established by using sugar and yeast,bicarbonate of soda and vinegar and fizzy water, etc.
however, if a co2 generator was purchased, then i believe it would be beneficial as you could then monitor the "PPM" and keep it stable,which with "DIY`S" is practically impossible.(IMO)

ya... i'm gonna try an experiment using dry ice... not only using it for cooling the room down but adding co2 when it burns off/evaporates... i'll let you guys know how it goes

Latest posts

Back