An ode to my father

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganDude

Reaction score
So, check it out....I'm kind of a creation of two different worlds. My father was a hillbilly from the hills in the south, where my family still has a 1000+ acre farm. My mom is from the north. I spent a lot of summers in the south, where I was basically known as that yankee boy.

My old man was pretty much a roamer...sometimes he lived in the north, sometimes down south. When he was younger, him and his brothers ran a pretty profitable still, until it was busted up. Later, in the 70's, he used some of the more remote sections of the family farm to grow MJ. He did pretty good at it too...I mean, he WAS a farmers kid. He later told me that he grew for about 5 or 6 years...he would grow it and cure it there, drive it up north and sell it there, and make enough to live modestly for the next year. That is until one fall his entire crop was ripped off just a couple weeks before harvest. That was the last year he grew for profit.

I guess it was like 1980 or so that I went to the stay with him one summer in a nearby city. My mom was having issues with my wildness, so she figured my old man could take care of me. I always hated hanging out at the family farm, or staying with my old man. Usually, if it was my grandma's farm, I ended up chopping wood all day for the winter, or picking potatoes from the "garden", which was a big *** field, or weeding and stuff.

Anyway, that summer, my old man tells me I'm in charge of his garden outback. Now, remember, this is in the middle of a big *** city in the midwest. He had turned the backyard into a huge garden...corn, tomatoes, beans, etc. In the rows of corn, he had mixed in MJ planst. It was a great set up...invisible from the road or neighbors. Near the end of that summer, he had me taking all the loose leave I would collect each day, and do a slow dry, and then roll all that loose leaf into joints. Suffice it to say, to this damn I can roll one hell of a fattie. The leaf joints weren't the best tasting, but it was free weed, and he really didn't miss the ones I took back home with me in the fall. It took months to smoke all the shake I took back home!

Unfortunately, me and my old man weren't real close. Now that I'm older, and he's passed on, I wish I was, for a lot of reasons. In the last 20 years of his life, I think I saw him twice. But one of the last times I did see him was the best time I ever had with him. I had just gotten married, and we went to visit him on the farm. I had bought what I thought was some dynamite sensi with me, and he and I shared a fat j of that. Then he goes to his stash...the stuff he grew for himself. He had big bags of this stuff, 2 or 3 kinds according to him. He rolls up a couple fatties, and we sat and shot the **** for hours smoking the best weed I ever had up until I went to Amsterdam. It was amazing.

Sadly, my old man passed away a few years back. I cried like a baby for weeks...any guy who's lost his dad knows what I mean. Even though he was a grade school drop out and a farmers kid from the holler, and I'm a high level exec in a Fortune 50 company, the longer I live, the more I see we have in common, and I'm damn proud of that fact!

I know, this is a little off topic, but hell, this IS he coffee table section, yeah? :D

i'm pretty shure the old man would be proud. welcome to MP $

Thanks man. Appreciate it. I'm trying to decide if I should try out my green thumb or not....I grew under floros in the 80's...it was bag seed, and all I got was a bunch of swag out of it, mainly because I had no clue.

I got some ideas for a kick *** grow box, but I want to do some more reading before I make the plunge. Meanwhile, I'm contemplating an outdoor grow here in the summer, if I can figure out a good place to do it...just a couple plants, probably...nothing big.

Good story. My relationship with my dad wasn't far off. I vote for you to try a small, stealthy outdoor grow. Grow a big 'ol white widow for the old man.

Nice way to honor him through happy memories and keeping on with his hobby...very sweet.

Good story MichiganDude,

There are times when you just should take advantage of those moments to share and see life through each others eyes.
I'm happy for you that you got that chance. I consider smoking with my son to be about one of the most treasurable times that we have had together. barriers come down, we laugh at each others jokes and bonding goes so well that it becomes a memory marker, Kinda like one of those those Kodak moments ya know.

My father, said he would grant me any wish that I had on the day I was home from the military, and when he picked me up from the airport I just casually mentioned that I thought it would be nice to someday smoke a hoober with him.

Little did I know that my dad had already gone to my brothers, and had asked them what they thought that I might like upon getting home. My older half brother had given him some black afghani hash, and so when I made my off hand comment to dad, he whips out a small bowl and said, " I don't do this, but I will grant your wish cause your my son."

Jeez, I was so blown away, I really had no words, but those memories and the ones with my own son will never be extinguished. I bet you kinda feel the same way, or at least it sure sounds like it.

Thanks for sharing that moment with us, it brings back bunches of memories for a lot of us.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

KingKahuuna said:
Good story MichiganDude,

There are times when you just should take advantage of those moments to share and see life through each others eyes.
I'm happy for you that you got that chance. I consider smoking with my son to be about one of the most treasurable times that we have had together. barriers come down, we laugh at each others jokes and bonding goes so well that it becomes a memory marker, Kinda like one of those those Kodak moments ya know.

My father, said he would grant me any wish that I had on the day I was home from the military, and when he picked me up from the airport I just casually mentioned that I thought it would be nice to someday smoke a hoober with him.

Little did I know that my dad had already gone to my brothers, and had asked them what they thought that I might like upon getting home. My older half brother had given him some black afghani hash, and so when I made my off hand comment to dad, he whips out a small bowl and said, " I don't do this, but I will grant your wish cause your my son."

Jeez, I was so blown away, I really had no words, but those memories and the ones with my own son will never be extinguished. I bet you kinda feel the same way, or at least it sure sounds like it.

Thanks for sharing that moment with us, it brings back bunches of memories for a lot of us.

smoke in peace

So COOL! The closest I'll ever get to smoking with my dad was taking him home from a minor surgery when he was still stoned. He was giggly and not near so anal as usual. He was cute. I think I would like him a lot more if he'd smoke one once in a while.

Great story! I think you have great potential to grow a little cronic.

It can be so difficult to connect as a parent to one's offspring. Thanks for the story, I enjoyed reading it.

Thats a cool story, I came from a long line of bootleggers.. I guess it's in my genes.the prohibited disease..

Hay all, I wanted to drop a quick note, and that everyone for the kind words. I reckon I like the folks here pretty well! My old man was..well, I guess you had to know him. On his 40th birthday, he got drink on moonshine, started a big old fight, got smacked upside his head with a shotgun, and has half his ear ripped off. He was a big ole hillbilly...6'5", 280 or so. Too bad my mom was only 5' tall...at 6'2", 260, I'm not only that yankee boy, I'm the runt of the family! :-D

KingKahuuna said:
Good story MichiganDude,

smoke in peace

I knew the King was from good people...and is raising good people...
:)

Nice story too M.D.:)

Latest posts

Back