Animals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tool

Reaction score
I had a friend tell me that he had some plants growning outside and deer ate most of it. I dont know if deer do like it or not is he full of **** or no and if they do how do you prevent it.

I've grown outdoors for many years and have never had any problems with deer. I had a harder time with rabbits chewing off my lower branches. You could spread your urine around your grow and some say that helps. You could also purchase bear urine and see if that works. Hope this helps. Take care and be safe.

the deer in my parts must've grown accustomed to eatin it. a friend of mine used to guerrilla back in the canyon and i remember him talkin about keepin deers away. cant remember how he used to do it, we were really stoned back then. come to think of it im still that way:)

there are several commercialy sold products, predator urines, deoderant soaps hung in a nearby bush, dog hair, human hair, dirty socks,will/can all deter critters. But none are 100% effective 100% of the time. I even had a herd of elk tromple fence while standing in belly tall grass, just to get a bite of vegging plants.

I have had a few plants get eaten by deer. Your friend is telling the truth. After I noticed they were tearing whole branches off and eating them I pissed all around every plant and they never came back. I have recently read to hang a bar of irish spring soap right near your plant and it will scare the deer away. I will be testing the irish spring out this year.

to prevent deer elk and predators,use the sent of blood and human hair
make small pouches of blood meal soak in water to activate smell hang aroud the garden area.

deer love the MJ.. i lost a few the other season to them.
i don't know if it's the taste of the plant.. or just that being fed and watered.. they were a lot "greener" than other nearby plants.

i tried urinating nearby them the other season.. but it didn't keep them away. (it was such a nice spot too :(
can't you make a soapy liquid to put on the plants to keep them away? or spray them with some sort of pepper or anything to keep them away, but not affect the plant?

i still don't know what i'm going to try this year. (though i may have to go purchase some 'irish spring')
i'm growing in a similar location, and i know a small group of deer hang out nearby (i see them all the time when i walk my dog) i get my dog to do his business near the area.. hoping that may help.

Asap11 said:
to prevent deer elk and predators,use the sent of blood and human hair
make small pouches of blood meal soak in water to activate smell hang aroud the garden area.
may be a good solution.. but around here, it's a toss up.. i think i'd rather run into an eaten plant.. than a bear or a cougar ;)

all of those will be somwhat effective, some of the time. But deer can become complacent, familiar with any of those scents, including human hair, dog ****, urine, irish spring, ect. Then there effectiveness begins to fade. Blood can help, but can also attact skunks, 'coon, 'yotes, that will dig. For those type of vermin, I've found a small capped jar, with holes punched in the lid, with a bit of cloth soaked in an ammonia cleaner, and buried close to the plants will help.
Fencing is by far the most effective protection for your plants.

just get a good fence, that will solve all ur problems and it will probally work 100% of the time if its high enough

i plant in the woods allot and i never had problems with the deer or animals for that fact. I do check on them almost daily so i think with my smell around the animals stay clear and i do take a piss by them once in a while.

wow tool, that is one big *** Dalmation!! It should meet my fatcat, they would get along great. What do you feed that thing? Twinkies?

I found out from an old guy who said if you want deer to stay away from something to spread moth balls around it. He said they hate the smell of it and the dog has a diet of cheese nothing else.

I have a dog that eats Turnip Greens. [I didn`t think dogs would eat turnip greens.] He wouldn`t for three weeks. LOL I have used moth balls and i just cut the top out of the box and placed on the ground in the middle of my plot. The next yeat they were still working strong and still hadn`t melted.

Go to a local barber shop and ask if you can take some of their bagged hair away for them, they should let you have it without many questions, besides, your just trying to keep the deer away from your tomato plants.

All of the above ideas will work. I have had great success with skoot, an animal repellent sold in Canada at hydro shops and some garden centres. Take time to read the warnings on the label before use.

A friend told me that hair and urine will keep the deers away ... once the plant get a certain age ... they like young plants ... they will leave it alone ... I followed his advice last year and had no problem with deer ... :cool:

Latest posts

Back