"aqua globe" for soil garden?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohninWI

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has used those aqua-globes in there garden? You know, those ones you see at Walmart with a glass ball on a stem that you push into the soil. I'm getting ready to go back to school and I'm going to need to figure out a way to keep a soil garden going at my house while I'm away at the apartment. I have the timers and things for the lights, but I'm going to need to have them watered while I'm away--5 or 6 days at a time.

Any thoughts on it? I thought the aqua globe would be a nice, low-tech solution that I might try before I go to timers to run pumps and things.

my mother in law got a few for her house plants and said they are garbage,

I have never tried the aqua globes but they also sell something similar that has a stake with holes in it that you screw a 2liter bottle onto it, ive never used that either but it will hold more water. I think i saw them at harbor frieght and even the dollar store.

Not a good idea. Research this site and I think you'll find that most growers like to keep their soil on the dry side to make the roots grow stronger and deeper. That gizmo might be fine for some house plants, but I think you want to pay enough attention to your crop so you can improve its yield. You'll need to monitor light, soil, pH, nutrients and temperature to maximize the quality of the final product. But do focus on your school work first and foremost. You might find that this is a stage in your life where you either abstain and focus on your studies or just buy some personal stash for weekends and holidays. Keep your priorities in order.

yea i think the aquaglobes do not allow for the 'wet/dry' cycle neccessary for the roots to breathe. a small drip system only costs $30 and then you'll know exactly how much water plants are getting. you will only have to adjust the timer occasionally cus the plants will need more water the bigger they are.

but if you cant check on the plants every day or two theres no point. even with an automated hydro setup i like to check up on them frequently. if a pump/timer/light fails, your whole crop could be ruined real fast.

I am using the aqua globes on my watermelons and tomatoes but NOT my mj... just because I give her so much attention. but they do work I suppose for the tomatoes and watermelon.. I have to refill daily so it is working...

I distinctly remember a poster here using them on a grow. Can't remember how it came out.
But you would probably want the drip system like greenfriend suggested.
I prefer using a dry cycle.
I can soak mine and let them go for four days if I need to.
:)
Gb

I tried em for fun..hole gets pluged or it waters too fast...didn't much care for em...good for the house plant you forget about i guess

Latest posts

Back