Aquarium Pump and Humidity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnstreet

Reaction score
I am pressed to find ways to increase humidity in a vegetative growbox. 2 feet by 19 inches. I am considering wether running a tetra whisper 100 aquarium airpump with diffusers in a water resorvoir would increase humidity.

I am only getting 20 r/h percent and I think that is drying the sedlings.

My idea should be better than water drying on stones. But I though someone would have already tested something like an aquarium pump and would know the answer before I buy and test one.

I would think that running the air into an open rez of water would sufficiently raise the humidity. I would try that as being in a small space wouldn't take much to raise the humidity, and you don't want to overshoot it by using something that is going to raise it too high too fast. JMO :)

I'll likely be awhile before trying the pump, special order product . We only have 1 or 2 petstores and I am not sure if they carry the tetra. So if anyone tests a pump in a small 28 degree celsius box before me , post the RH you get and the pump.

I have tried two humidifiers and I only get about a 5 percent increase in humidity , for that I have to water the humdifier daily and I think the fan blowing on the lights actually increases the temperature. So that approach has been hopeless sofar. With the exhaust fan running and intake air, I might need to devise a recirculation device for the exhausting air that has been humidifed. So I can retain the added moisture.

If you can understand that .. :)

I am also a new mmber with a micro-gro underway and I'm wondering why the problem with the seedlings drying out. I live in the desert Southwest and I started my seedlings in the oven, turned off with a small tray with which the seeds are started under wet paper towels then transferred to a styrofoam cup after some growing time in a plastic type egg carton, closed and with a hole or two in the bottom of each egg space. These insulated containers keep the soil from becoming too warm and drying out. I just keep them wet, yet drained of excess water. After established, I transfer to a more permanent container, as large as you have room for.

If you really want to increase your humidity quickly then get a sprayer bottle and spray the walls and floor beneath the lights and it will evaporate quick enough to bring up the humidity. What kind of lighting are yu under that it is getting so warm and dry? You can also order a veg dome to keep over the seedlings and cuttings and spray the inside with water to maintain humidity until they get bigger. Just remove it for a few minutes each day to give them fresh air if it doesn't have vents(most veg domes are vented though) :)

When I brew my earth juice nutes I have a tank that I heat to 85 and run air through and it increases the humidity A LOT in my entire basement.

Latest posts

Back