Aquarium(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Effen Gee

Movin' on up!
Reaction score
Have one? Two?

What's in 'em?

Salt? Fresh? Brackish even?

Aquariums are my second hobby and I would love to share and be shared with.

What I have:

1 80 gal acrylic TruVu with black back.

Contents:

2 Tiger oscars. One long finned about 12" another normal about 10".

3 Blood Parrot Fish. All Around 4-5". Ugly as hell too.

2 Plecostomus. One is more than a foot...the other about 4" long. Both highly aggressive.

1 50 Gal TruVu with black back. Brackish.

3 Columbian Sharks. All about 4" in length and growing quickly. Probrably the worst choice for a fish pet due to activity levels, POISON SPINES, water requirements and non-communal behavior.

1 12 gal oydessey planted tank.

1 baby Frontosa. Good fish, but a digger.

1 45 gal outdoor pond.

2 koy, both silver. Left over seeder/feeder fish.

Whatcha got?

I have a 20 gal full of the cutest 7 hermit crabs you've ever seen.

The reason the lid has plastic wrap over it is to hold the humidity in.

Plus I have a 1 gallon bowl that is home to my betta named Moe.

Bettas are cool fish. Jumpstarted the hobby that way.

As for hermit crabs I have had nothing but failures with them.

Nice to see someone can pull it off.

i gotta 20 gal with a flathead catfish and crawfish. i like to keep it natural no blue rocks and bubbling chest. just like lookin into a creek is my style

All my aquariums look like a little slice of that specific biotype:

Oscars have a slice of the amazon.

Sharks have a slice of the brackish semi marine river mouth.

I cannot stand tacky fish tanks and I believe the fish can't either.

30 gal glass tank with one KOI and a Carp (standard goldfish) 2 Platies and a Cory Cat. The carp and Koi are aobut 7ion each at 4 years old the plats are about 5in each and 1 year the cat is 6 and about 2 inches :D

I love having hermit crabs, they are so facinating!!! The green basket you see on the right is called a moss pit. I did have a natural-looking wicker one, but it got moldy. The green plastic is ugly, but a lot safer for my little ones.

They love climbing on the net along the back wall. One side has a sand substrate, and the other side has something called Eco Earth. Hermit crabs like to dig down so you always need to make sure its deep enough. They also molt several times a year and need to be burried down deep for that.

I giggle about how much is similiar....growing mj and raising hermits.....you gotta monitor humidity, chlorine, temps, etc. Sometimes I forget which board I am on...my pot board or the crab board. :p My crabs even enjoy eating worm ****.....I think mj likes worm **** as well.

Hate to bump my own thread...but I killed my Frontosa yesterday.

He is now buried under my newly planted outdoor plant.

So he can become a part of the great cycle.

R.I.P. Injuna you will be missed.

yea. crappy.

He was young too...all I did was a water change.

But were I screwed up was I changed too much of his water.

Stupid noob mistake too.

*sigh*

...well now at least I have room for the pair of peacock cichlids I wanted.

I have a 90g with a 10" Serrasalmus Rhombeus, aka Black Piranha. I have a 12g with a Tiger Lobster. I also have a 30g that Id like to turn into an aquaponic setup. Fishkeeping is an awesome hobby!!

Are Piranhas messy eaters?

Are they hard to care for?

They are schooling fish right?

The Effen Gee said:
Are Piranhas messy eaters?

Are they hard to care for?

They are schooling fish right?

In the order asked...

Piranhas CAN be messy eaters. If you toss in a huge filet of tilapia or some other whitefish (what I prefer to feed my fish), there could be little pieces of fish floating around in your tank. I prefer to feed my fish bite-sized chunks of whitefish or shrimp, so I dont have much of a mess to deal with. I keep about a half dozen danios in with my piranha at all times so they can eat up any scraps that my big guy does leave behind.

Piranhas are generally easy to care for. Obviously, you need to cycle your tank and all that jazz before putting any fish in the tank. But specifically on care alone, piranhas are considered quite hardy. Piranhas that are kept solo (serrasalmus types - black piranhas, gold piranhas, manueli piranhas) generally are much easier to care for than schooling piranhas (pygocentrus types - red bellies, ternetzi, piraya). When keeping piranhas in groups, you have to keep a watchful eye over the tank to make sure you have adequate space for the fish you have. Pygos are VERY territorial and fights can and will happen. Serrasalmus are also VERY territorial and will kill anything you put in the tank with it eventually.

Are they schooling? As stated above, there are piranhas that school and there are piranhas that are to be kept in their own individual tank.

If you have any other questions about piranhas, fire away! You can also check out piranha-fury.com. Its a great site where I learned everything I know about the aquaria hobby!

You know...for some reason Piranhas are illegal in the state of california.

You see them once in a blue moon on craigslist.

Do you have any pic's of your setup?
I would post some of mine but the site won't let me post/upoload images from my computer.

*sigh*

I have a 37f cube Reef tank, holder 2 clown fish, firefish, and goby ( getting more fish ) also has blue leg hermits, a sort of snails, cleaner shrimp...Coral: zoas, bubbles, brain, sps, feather duster and a clam, need to do it up a little bit more...

And also fish tanks is my 2nd hobby as well, I LOVE fish! going be setting up another one soon in a bigger tank.

Also I have a betta fish in a tank and I have 2 Red Ear Slider turtles..

First off love fish been going 2 the aquarium since i was alittle kid always wanted a shark started off with 10g got some bala and neon tetras rainbows too then 45g bowed shape tank turned it into a tetra tank and then finally a 30g which was my aggressive tank which i had barbs until i converted it to saltwater which i still havent done much 2 except for some live rock and a trigger planning on gettin more live rock this week since i have the money YAAE!!

ok heres mine ,,,,:giggle:
now please remember this is my 4 yr olds mermaid tank,,:rofl:

100_0805.JPG

Don't have any fully aqua tanks, but I do have two 10 gal tanks with many different types of anoles and a 10 gal with one yellow-eared and one red-eared slider. Someday I'd love to have the time to keep up an aquarium.

I also plan to buy a 50 gal with a stand to get rid of the clutter of 3 10 gal tanks and the different cords and food supply scattered around. I've done lots of research on raising lizards and turtles together, and from what I've gathered, older, larger turtles have been known to occasionally bite at lizards but no mass genocides or anything like that. I'll occasionally allow my lizards to hop into my turtle tank and I haven't had any problems as of yet, so the plan seems to be going well. Anyone else heard of any problems raising lizards and turtles together?

Latest posts

Back