are marine grade t8 tubes good for growing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austincobbs

Reaction score
a friend of mine gave me these t8 lights off her tank. she has t5 now. i was wondering if they were good for growing and can i continue to use the florecents with it? two ob the bulbs are blue and two white. please help me out on this. i dont want to use anything thats not good for my babies

it depends on the color temp and the cycle you wish to use them(veg or flower) ...i use 16 4ft coolwhite T8's to veg with and they work as good as i could hope for

i also use t8's in my veg room ... i have 5 4ft 32wt. 2850 lumen t8's in an area that 52"x20" and it works great ...

when you say marine, do you mean those reddish color bulbs ?....you need the "blue" bulbs for veg and i would'nt recommend trying to flower with ANY floro type bulb.

The blue bulbs you speak of are more than likely actinic bulbs. Blue being the last color filtered out of deep water much marine life depends on heavy amounts of blues.

While these combined with the white tubes may be ok for vegetation, not for blooming, I would still recommend purchasing some new white tubes all around as the spectrum of these type tubes do have a lifespan, and as you said they are already used.

Best of luck in whichever route you may choose :)

Warfish

Latest posts

Back