Ballast Kits: Pros and Cons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smot_poker

Marijuana Monster
Reaction score
So i have money for a 600 watt ballast, and i've been trollin around ebay looking for good deals, and it seems that the ballast kits are the economic option in this case.

So what are the pros and cons of these ballast kits that require you to do the assembly? I'm pretty good at following diagrams, so that won't be a problem, but i was also wondering if they come with a socket, or if i would have to buy one separately. It appears that they only come with the capacitator and ignitor, and no socket, but i could be mistaken...:confused:

correct, may not come with an enclosure either. and imo an enclosure is necessary.

Yea you need a socket and something to mount it on, doesn't have to be totally enclosed but it is better.

Otherwise its the same as any other magnetic ballast.

Do you have a mogul socket, cords, reflector, and bulb? There is much more to a HID light than just the ballast :D . You may find that it is cheaper to get the entire light system. I got an air cooled hood, a 600W Lumatek ballast, and a 600W HPS bulb for $185 on E-Bay a while back.

well i'm going to do a vertical grow, so i don't need a reflector, but i already have a bulb for it, and can get a socket and the appropriate wiring for it at a local electronics store.

it seems like with the cost of the socket and the cord, it would still be less than buying a complete set up unless i can find a really good deal...

like grow dude said does not have to be enclosed but you can. all you really need to do is weld up a box up with slits in it to cool and handle and your goods or use the mounting hardware and mount it to something just make sure its up high enough where your not bumping into it cuz they do get hot also provide alittle airspace around it.all my ballast are kits some much cheaper

sockets are cheap and just tell me the type ( name on it ) ballast i can tell you how to wire it. hit that question up in a pm i dont wanna post info here because every ballast brand is alittle diffrent and im sure somebody will read and try and probally get zapped

alot of cheap kits on there now used are good too the ballast rarely ever craps out its usually the cap that dies out on ya but even those are cheap to replace. most last like 60,000 hrs

Not sure if this is outside your budget, but seems a very good deal to me.

i built and used one of high tech gardens 1000 watt hps kits. I already had everything else i needed for it at the time. Worked great, simple instructions, no problems (other than it puts out a lot of heat).
BUT magnetic ballast and digital ballasts are completely different animals and I'd recomend digital over magnetic. But no issues with my kit

thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it.

smokinjoe: i already have a 600 watt bulb, and i'm trying to stick with the 600 set up. also, i don't want to shell out extra money on a reflector when i wouldn't be using it at all.

i checked out one of my favorite sites, PropertyRoom (.com), and i'm going to try my best to snag a set up 600 watt ballast. it ends today around 3: 30 (PST) and right now it's at only $51.00 with no reserve. this may be my lucky day.

With a vertical grow, aren't you going to put that light in a cool tube?

Smot_poker said:
thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it.

smokinjoe: i already have a 600 watt bulb, and i'm trying to stick with the 600 set up. also, i don't want to shell out extra money on a reflector when i wouldn't be using it at all.

i checked out one of my favorite sites, PropertyRoom (.com), and i'm going to try my best to snag a set up 600 watt ballast. it ends today around 3: 30 (PST) and right now it's at only $51.00 with no reserve. this may be my lucky day.

Thats a great price, 1000 bulbs has one you can buy for $86.00

Also there was a place to get real nice galvanized enclosure for it they were about $20.00 but real nice with cord knockouts and vents with a handle.

The Hemp Goddess said:
With a vertical grow, aren't you going to put that light in a cool tube?
i don't have the money for that. my plan is to have a fan at the bottom of the arena, and have that be blowing air upwards, then have fans moving air across my box at the top to carry out the hot air and bring in cool air...

and wouldn't you know it, my internet was out due to lightning strikes in my area, and so some other lucky bastard got away with the ballast for a whopping $54.

there are a few more ballasts on there that i'm going to have to target, but i'm pissed that this one got away.

Latest posts

Back