Best LED for 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That said, these lights can give too much light, literally. About 1100 is maxing out plants, they begin to reach the maximum amount of food that they can process. More light wants more food....plant get unhappy.

The extra power comes in handy during flower, or if one decides to go with Co2. Done correctly, it can raise the amount the plant can process..
Only for the totally dialed in

Bubba

That said, these lights can give too much light, literally. About 1100 is maxing out plants, they begin to reach the maximum amount of food that they can process. More light wants more food....plant get unhappy.

The extra power comes in handy during flower, or if one decides to go with Co2. Done correctly, it can raise the amount the plant can process..
Only for the totally dialed in

Bubba
Well again, I’m far from dialed. And I just want a respectable light that will get the job done, and some. I have a decent light, but I got it from a buddy and I believe it’s just a cheap Chinese model, possibly 1000 watt equivalent. I also have (2) spider farmer sf1000’s, which I’m assuming are not strong enough to do what I need done. I used the farmers for my veg, and was gifted the Chinese model right before I flowered, so I’ve used it for flowering and put the sf1000’s to the wayside.
I’m concerned I’ll buy a light and not be happy with it, buyers remorse, eh? Lol
If you were me, what would you buy?!
Btw im an undecided son *****, if you haven’t noticed. Always have been…

Well again, I’m far from dialed. And I just want a respectable light that will get the job done, and some. I have a decent light, but I got it from a buddy and I believe it’s just a cheap Chinese model, possibly 1000 watt equivalent. I also have (2) spider farmer sf1000’s, which I’m assuming are not strong enough to do what I need done. I used the farmers for my veg, and was gifted the Chinese model right before I flowered, so I’ve used it for flowering and put the sf1000’s to the wayside.
I’m concerned I’ll buy a light and not be happy with it, buyers remorse, eh? Lol
Make no mistake, I too, am FAR from dialed in! A work in progress.

Bubba

Well, too add to the dilemma, you could buy 2 more of what you have! My first tent was like that with led. multiple 100 watt panels. Mine had holes in the corners so once hung I wired them (not electrically) together to hold them in "formation" in the tent.

I bought one light when seeds hatched, another in veg, the balance in Bloom. They have since been replaced, but still come in handy for an extra veg, clone, mother, etc use.

Bubba
I went through the same thing with every purchase. What would I do? I just recently did. I bought the FC-E 6500 and have no remorse. Any of the ones you are talking about Would as well. I finally reached that point of "Ya picks your choices and Ya pays your money" and pull the trigger.

If you havent already go the the cocoforcannabis site and read their info. They explain very simply about what they measure and why. Then test a bunch of lights, including your spider farmer, the Mars Hydro lights (THEY said the Bridgelux (FC-E) lights tested superior to their samsung counterparts.)

On the other hand, it may just make the decision more difficult. One day there was a flash sale on MH site, my light was well under 500, and I pulled the trigger. Had my doubts, worried for nothing.

Bubba

Well, too add to the dilemma, you could buy 2 more of what you have! My first tent was like that with led. multiple 100 watt panels. Mine had holes in the corners so once hung I wired them (not electrically) together to hold them in "formation" in the tent.

I bought one light when seeds hatched, another in veg, the balance in Bloom. They have since been replaced, but still come in handy for an extra veg, clone, mother, etc use.

Bubba

I went through the same thing with every purchase. What would I do? I just recently did. I bought the FC-E 6500 and have no remorse. Any of the ones you are talking about Would as well. I finally reached that point of "Ya picks your choices and Ya pays your money" and pull the trigger.

If you havent already go the the cocoforcannabis site and read their info. They explain very simply about what they measure and why. Then test a bunch of lights, including your spider farmer, the Mars Hydro lights (THEY said the Bridgelux (FC-E) lights tested superior to their samsung counterparts.)

On the other hand, it may just make the decision more difficult. One day there was a flash sale on MH site, my light was well under 500, and I pulled the trigger. Had my doubts, worried for nothing.

Bubba
Mars hydro has a sale right now. I keep going back to that 6500 so I think my decision is made. I’m going to sleep on it for a few more, get my finances in order. But my decision I think is already subconsciously made…
I def need to check out CCFC review. I’ve read the reviews from him partially. Need to really sit down and read and analyze. Thanks for the input @Bubba

Looking at the reviews, I see one of their par maps that is beautiful numerically. BUT it is at 20 inches above canopy. Most tent grows will not have that head room. Slightly lower numbers for FC-E 6500, but at 12 inches.
So it could get closer at expense of corner numbers.

Similar dilemma to selecting camshafts for hot rods.

I’ve read all the reviews from CCFC on the Mars Hydro LED’s. Talk about informative! I read both FC6500 and FC E6500. Plus the 4800 and E4800. He really made understanding lights a little easier. Sacrificing efficiency for light distribution. Finding that happy medium between the two. Among other things. Thanks for the read @Bubba , always learning.
I think that really helped me make my decision on which light to buy. I think im going to get the E4800. CCFC recommended this size for a 4x4
I like that you can adjust the light bars on the “E” models. The PAR maps looked great and the hanging distance between 13 and 16 inches would fit my tent well. I also like the idea of the E models using Bridgelux components, being a US company and all. Everything sounded right to me. The 6500 is tempting, but i think the price and the power draw of 700ish watts is just too much for me. Plus CCFC recommends the 6500 being for a 5x5 and the 4800 being well suited for a 4x4.
Enough rambling. Decision made. Next step, gather funds and acquire light.
Thanks again @Bubba
Trying to upload a link of the reviews. I cant figure it out lol..

Last edited:
I have two really good lights.
Spiderfarmer g8600
And
Mars fce1000 expanding

I have two really good lights.
Spiderfarmer g8600
And
Mars fce1000 expanding
Those seem excessive for me in a 4x4. But no doubt they are good lights!

Last edited:
Lol. So many choices!!!
Ok. Screw it, 6500 it is. Rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it!
I have crappy blurple lights I bought years ago but I wish I had splurged and paid a bit more for better lights. As lesso said, it is the single biggest input with the most impact. Any doubts, look at lesso’s forests.

I have crappy blurple lights I bought years ago but I wish I had splurged and paid a bit more for better lights. As lesso said, it is the single biggest input with the most impact. Any doubts, look at lesso’s forests.
Ya I’m using a hand me down blurple as well. It works. But I know I can do better

Ya I’m using a hand me down blurple as well. It works. But I know I can do better
I am using the sun lately. Unless one of my blurples dies or I hit the lottery, I can’t justify $4-500 on a light since I don’t really smoke much anymore and I don’t have many people to give bud away to anymore. Plus I have a stash that will last me until I expire. Yet, here I am, growing plants. 🥸 If I was just starting out though, I would take the advice of bubba and lesso. Those guys grow beautiful plants.

I had a bar style light that covered my 4x4 perfectly. It worked really well... But I have decided that I will run smaller lights in an array, so I can raise or lower individual lights if some plants are taller than others. I prefer this to trying to adjust the height of my plants to get an even canopy. Having said that... 2 viparspectra P4000's or 4 viparspectra P1500's or look at the medic grow lights. They have timers built in a long with a dimmer switch.

I had a bar style light that covered my 4x4 perfectly. It worked really well... But I have decided that I will run smaller lights in an array, so I can raise or lower individual lights if some plants are taller than others. I prefer this to trying to adjust the height of my plants to get an even canopy. Having said that... 2 viparspectra P4000's or 4 viparspectra P1500's or look at the medic grow lights. They have timers built in a long with a dimmer switch.
I ended up getting the fc-e6500. No regrets so far.

I ended up getting the fc-e6500. No regrets so far.
There will be none. I have the same light. There are others better and much more expensive, but not that much better.

The Coco for cannabis site's review rated it better than the slightly more expensive fc 6500 with Samsung diodes. The par patterns were similar, but the fc-e version could get closer to canopy, which is a height saver.

Buck for buck it's a bargain. There are others, but with sale price and discount code my mind was made up.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back