Best strain for beginners - outdoors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirSmoke-a-Lot

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this growing thing and I want to plant outdoors come spring. I was wondering what would be the best strain for a beginner. I just want to go through the process of growing a plant and having a high yield, so the amount of thc is not as much an issue. I would like the plant to stay roughly short, less than 5 feet, and an easy plant to grow. Thanks for your ideas!

I almost know what strain I want, but I just need a few ideas... keep in mind that this is for outdoors only, not indoors :)

i would say try bb x ww, or old school/og kush, but then again, they get really tall. at least here they do.

...but, i have done an experiment this year thats turning out to be working, Great. and you may be interested. :hubba:

with the plant in the ground, or pot, let it get a couple feet high.
then tie down the main stalk, by pulling from about 2/3-3/4 of the way up, down towards the ground.
this forces the plant to grow horizontally, instead. and as it grows you can continue to tie it down, which will allow you to have a ten foot monster that is shorter than you.

GL and keep us posted

My honest opinion...

Bagseed. No sense wasting money/going through the trouble of getting seeds on your first grow. Now, I know a pack of seeds aren't going to break the bank. But, if this is your first grow then you are probably going to make plenty of mistakes. Especially outdoor. So many more things could happen.

My advice is use this grow as a learning experience. Be satisfied if you get a harvest of a couple ounces. Don't get discouraged and next year go bigger and better with a little growing under your belt.

Slowmo77 is right plant bag seed & start a journal that others can give ya tip and you can refer back later for notes... AK 47 is hardy plant for out doors... Just make sure it's the right season to plant.... I would look at other members journal & take notes before you start to plant...

Man, i've grown BagSeed for 5 years outdoors, and it still hasn't gotten old...Of course you would love to say looky here, this is my WW or my ...But you get such a variety with bagseed it's well worth it to me...If ya wanna true example of bagseed gone great check out OldHippy's outdoor grow journal...But if you must order any seeds, i might suggest afghani for a begginer from what i've heard of it...But i'm still a newb to the community too though

Actually, they are not available where I live, because everyone around here, crushes up the weed, all the way (without stems/seeds) and smokes it like it was hash, except its weed just ground up. So basically there is no opportunity to get any bagseeds. I was looking at afghan for a while and hear that it is very good for new growers. Any suggestions now that bagseeds are not available?

SirSmoke-a-Lot said:
Actually, they are not available where I live, because everyone around here, crushes up the weed, all the way (without stems/seeds) and smokes it like it was hash, except its weed just ground up. So basically there is no opportunity to get any bagseeds. I was looking at afghan for a while and hear that it is very good for new growers. Any suggestions now that bagseeds are not available?

thats funny you mention how they crush the weed and everything up like that because i came across some the other day, for the first time ever. it looked like crap but man did it pack a knarley punch!

Yea its some of the best weed I've had... it comes from Nepal, right next to India... where all the farmers just grow weed and it is illegal but the govt doesn't say anything to them. Just have to pay a small bribe.

if your buying seed you can get a mix of outdoor seeds all of the strains are tough enough but some may not thrive in your area so getting a mix is a good way to find at least one or two that will do well.

What is the difference between afghan and afghani? different strains or just a name difference?

just the omission of the ''I''. there are types that are cross bred with afgani that are pretty good. basically you want an indica dominate strain for short height and early flowering outside. in most cases

sativa=tall, loosly branched plant, that flowers late outdoors
indica=short, densly branched plant, that flowers fairly early outdoors

indicas also have a shorter flowering cycle, 8-10 weeks opposed to a sativas 12-14 weeks

there are exceptions to the height rule, like the durban poison strain, which is an extremly short sativa, but it hold true about 90% of the time.

i would look at seedbanks that give you a approximate number on theyre cross bred plants like:

40% sativa/60% indica

and make sure its an indica dominate strain to retain the short height and early flowering traits while getting a plant with the yield and THC content you desire/require.

Iv been using bagseed the last three years and It works good, I think its a mostly indica strain. Afghan would be a good strain for you needs so good luck:)

And, Bznuts, your horizontal experiment sounds pretty cool. I would like to know how thats going. But, do you think it will affect the yeild at all?

BAGSEED..... don't waste money on good genetics when you will prob end up killing em the first time anyways, most beginners can't even get out of the germ stages without problems because they don't READ.

You want to do a lot but what you NEED to do is start in the FAQ's, then think about what you want to do. Bagseed is you best bed

Yea actually I germinated bagseeds when i was 13 years old, without knowing anything, I even planted them outside, had them sprout 4 sets of branches then trashed them. I did all of that without needing this website, although it is a great resource for where I can learn about nutes, soil, ect. I am a beginner but I know what I am doing, and I have read the FAQ's, and most of the stickys, trust me.

The other thing to consider in an outside grow is critters.....I lost two real nice Blueberry's to rabbits.... Sucks to have nice seed go to waste. I agree with everyone, try some bagseed, or a cheap mixed variety if ya go with a seedbank. Just my 2 cents......

Really no critters around here that will eat up the plant, the funny thing is... where I live, the prices from what I hear are 3 dollars for 10 grams, of some lows, around 5 dollars for mids, but still, I want to grow, it just seems like fun. I live in India... check out WeBeHigh.com and click on any city in India. Great hash and ok ok weed.

Latest posts

Back