best way to retain moisture?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deftoner

Reaction score
what is a good way to try and keep soil in 5 gallon pails from drying out so quickly??? i read somethin about wood chips??? my clones are most likely stayin in these pots due to location of my site, almost swamp like so the soil is way too wet and it wont dry out till mid summer.

I don't use it myself but I hear perlite is good for soil retension. You mix it in with the soil and it absorbs the water and nutrients well. Woodchips is a good mulch to use as long as it's not too dense.

What kind of soil are you using? Is it from your own plot or store bought?

its a mixture of 3 in 1 store bought soil and my own plot of soil, the pails will be raised so the soil will dry out somewhat fast.

That's strange. Good store bought soil should have both good water retension and drainage. Perlite could be the answer for you then. You should check it out online. The grow vidz on this site show you how to use it.

thanks for the help. Its a good mix of soil, but i learned from last year that the soil will dry out if not monitored fequently and i'd prefer to keep my visits at a mininum if you know what i mean. l'll look into the Perlite, i also read about some kind of crystal u add. thanks again.

Perlite is expensive sand !(good for drainage not for holding water ) put a layer of good mulch on top of your soil and this will help keep the moisture in your pot . I am going to give some water crystals a run but you need to wet them and add to the soil ! good luck !

^.. ditto.. "mulch", and shade/hide the buckets with native fauna.. ;)

Latest posts

Back