Big Bad Bear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Reach in your pants pull it out and do your thing around your plants. Don't do it right on them but about 1 to 2 feet from them. You can also try using some human, dog or cat hair. ;)
this wont work for bears sorry,, its prolly a deer prob he has anyway ,, and it will work for deer,, bear are an animal that dont have restriction limits,, like territory,, or claiming territory by urine ,, their not like mountain cats,,wolfs ,cyotes,or foxes,, they dont mark their territory,, just thought id let you no,, bears are the hardest big game animal to get rid of ,, its almost impossible ,, when they smell somthing they like they go for it ,, and you could put out anything and it will not bother them,, other that a trap or shooting it,, bears are know to steel gas cans and eat them so fuel wont work eather the only thing i could think of is mabey a wind chime ,, they are very weiry around new noises thats about it, i get my information from myself ,, and i am a bear hunter and have been for years,, also a seasonal fishing and hunting guide so i am familiar with animals and they way they work thanks,,

Siccmade said:
just a thought but i think itll work.. bear mase!..... like the stuff that dog the bounty hunter uses.. im sure u can prolly order it offline or maybe find it in a sporting goods store..
what?????????? that just somthing you would have to spray inn its eyes..hat are you going to do wait for it then spray it ,, even as a beatr hunter i think this would be cruel

hey siccmade,, im not trying to be ignorant ,, but bare mace is just peppersray ,, if you want you can spray it on you stake and bbq it if you want,, bear mace is somthing you have to get in its eyes ,, it dont matter if you get it all over you it will not harm you anymore then your house hold pepper shaker would,, yes pepper spray and mace are 2 diferent things ,, but just in the name ,, bear mace is just a more powerfull pepperspray ,, and they call it bear mase so that it makes it legal to sell youn tour local stores , and it wont matter if you spray 20 bottles of the stuff all around ,, it wont help in anyway,, im not being rude it might sound like it but im not ,, and i just thought you might learn about it by what i had to say,,,,, once again the only thing i could think of would be a wind chime of some sort and even that prolly wont work ,, but its prolly your best bet

Old Bud said:
Are you sure it is bears that are harming your plants. I am up to my *** in bears around here, have even had them take the garbage can off my deck and crap in my driveway but have never had them touch my plants. Rabbits and deer though are another story, for them I use scoot.
Yes Old Bud- am sure it's bear- have seen their footprints and scat. Have had deer problems in past years as well but this is totally different. As I mentioned in an earlier post it is probably partly (all??) my fault- I never planted in this particular spot before and didn't realize it was LOADED w/ blackberry and raspberry bushes. Was picking blackberries yesterday (in a different area though) and actually saw a bear. Suprised the hell outta me- think I'm done picking blackberries for the year.

Hey Walter- well it wouldn't work for me anyway 'cause I have nothing to 'pull out' to do my thing w/. I'm a female. I do know it's bear though. Have been living and growing here for enough years that I know the animal signs. Am NOT a hunter so would not harm any of the animals here. Actually, there are a few things I did that actually detered the bear for a few days anyway- could see their trail around the perimeter of this particular plot. But nothing has worked for more than a few days at a time. Berries are just about done there now, however, so I'm hoping...plants are just about ready to be harvested. Thanks for all the info!

walter said:
what?????????? that just somthing you would have to spray inn its eyes..hat are you going to do wait for it then spray it ,, even as a beatr hunter i think this would be cruel
He meant to spray it around the plants-told me that in another post. I sure as hell wouldn't stand there waiting for the bear anyway. Besides, I very rarely see them- am sure they take off as soon as they hear or smell me (as a bear hunter I'm sure you know what an exceptional sense of smell they have.) Will not plant in this spot again for sure. Thanks for your input.
...thought it was odd that you considered mace cruel- compared to hunting them??

Old Bud said:
Are you sure it is bears that are harming your plants. I am up to my *** in bears around here, have even had them take the garbage can off my deck and crap in my driveway but have never had them touch my plants. Rabbits and deer though are another story, for them I use scoot.
What's 'scoot?'

Scoot is an animal repellent sold in Canada. I forget the active ingredient but it comes with a warning not to drink alcohol while or shortly after use, It protects for about 3 weeks. Google it and I am sure it will show up.

walter said:
like territory,, or claiming territory by urine ,, their not like mountain cats,,wolfs ,cyotes,or foxes,, they dont mark their territory,, just thought id let you no,, bears are the hardest big game animal to get rid of ,, its almost impossible ,,
Not trying to be a jerk but Bears do mark their territory, not like Cougars or Deer. Bears mark trees within their territories by biting, clawing, rubbing and straddling. If they know the smell of humans and associate it with a bad experience they will stay away, but if they associate it with a good experience they will be drawn by the scent of human or human urine. Bears also do not like dogs, anyone who is a hunter knows that, and if they smell dogs they will usually stay away from the area. If they smell something they want though it is harder to keep them away. Only real way would be to install an electric fence but that would be really hard to get away with in the forest. You gotta expect these problems, that's why it's called guerilla growing.

yes i definatly agree with you but ,, you answered the questin that i am explaining to you ,, but yes they do mak terrtor ,, but NOT like wolfs or foxes or cyotes ,, but yest theyll make theitr territory ,, but not to claimtheir land to others and stay out ,, they justn leave their mark ,, as in i was here and this is where few uf us hang out type of thing ,, not to make and claim as their own ,, do you no what i mean or would you lie me tio furthe explain it,, also ty yoe dog ur in theb middle of the rockie mountains for a night ,, and gho back the next fday and find nothing but poor rovers chain,, yesd dogs are used for hunting ,, but when on a chain oor kennal ..youll find poor rovres chain ,, cuz cougars and bears will descover the doggs stree and will become meat pie to the preditor

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Reach in your pants pull it out and do your thing around your plants. Don't do it right on them but about 1 to 2 feet from them. You can also try using some human, dog or cat hair. ;)
Excellent advice on the hair, works almost every time, unless the animals are used to humans, in that case, it's bear season where I live......

Latest posts

Back