Blue Spectrums/Red Spectrums?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richy-B

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,
Is it true plants in the seedling and beginning vegetative stages need more of the white/blue spectrum? Like fluorescents? Then after the plant is about 5-7in. you want to start thinking about your red/orange spectrum? Like my 250 hps? This is true. Correct? Or can you just use the 250 hps at the beginning till the end?:confused:

:banana: :48: :banana:

you can used the hps all the way same with cfl it just the best color spectrum with the cfl you go with cool for veg and a mix of cool and warm for flowering

Just found out on the box of my bulb it has 35,000 lumens, 30% "blue" spectrum combined with high "Red" spectrum creates correct balance for maximum Plant Growth. :smoke1:

Just read a few different threads that show your wrong. You can use a 250 hps the whole time if it has a 30% of blue with it. He' had the same light for 7yrs.

My baby has been under the 250 hps for three days and has shown nothing but improvement.:D I still keep Fluorescents for my seedlings and beginners in the veg stage though. But only till their about 6in.

ok I did told you you culd but is not the best you do what you want is your plpants not mines I grow with cfl and it really works if you dont think so check my tread on sick plant ( my plant in yellow mellow and youll see and my bad for trying to help

U want soft white for veg... Blue Spec... and Day light for flower... Red spec

he's right richy b.... you could use your hps light for the both stages... but it is unnecessary to waste the electricity and light on vegging plants.... plants in the vegitative stage need more of a blue spectrum for better root development and rigorous growth as apposed to the red spectrum lighting which is more of a type of light for fattening up those buds... the difference between your floro's and your hps is that your hps gives off alot more light so your plants dont have to stretch for light they can drink all of that hps light in... what you should do is put a couple more floros and use those until they are 10-12 in then flower your plants... your yield wont but much more ... but it will be more if you use it that way... and your electricity bill will be a bit lower and you can save your ballast and hps bulb cause those are expensive... but just my opinion... peace

Your light will work perfectly fine for the entire grow. Not just flowering. You can use the HPS for the entire thing and you'll get great results.

dont get me wrong i never said he wouldn't... its true if you grow with the hps you will have really good plants... the reason you would want to use floro's and blue spec lights is because they seem to be cooler and you can keep them much much closer to your plants and that way they stay small and bushy not all lanky and stretched... but you can't go wrong if you have an hps... thats all i'm saying peace guys

Hey ya'll,:banana:
Thanks for the info guys. When I transplanted, the root system was big!:eek: Bigger than I thought it would be! The whole 4in pot was filled with basically nothing but roots!Remember I did give it fluoro's till seven in. tall. But if I can make the root system bigger with your method I'll try it on two of my three newly sprouted seedlings. I will definetly get some more fluoros too. I'll try two your way and the other seedling with fluoro's till five-seven in. then in the hps. Like my current baby. Just for some fun or experiment shall we say?Pics will be posted in an hour or so!:ciao: I'm excited to try this! either way I should come out with a good crop when some more seeds germinate.:D

LaserKittensGoPewPew is right the HPS is a good light for the whole grow. Trust me I have 6 WW Ladies out of 8. And they look great. 250 HPS the whole time. Just had to get that out. There are too many people saying that you CAN'T grow the whole way with HPS. Granted that a MH or CFL daylight would be best for the veg stage, but the HPS will still give GREAT results. Just get annoyed with the people that say HPS is ONLY for flower, cause it is just not true.

^^same here. Some of the healthiest and best looking plants I've seen were all grown from seed to flower under an HPS. And they definitely don't stretch out and get lanky when you have them on an 18/6 or 24 hour cycle. HPS lights give so many more lumens than fluoros that they stay incredibly short and bushy. They only stretch when you flower them and cut the light cycle to 12/12.

HPS lights give so many more lumens than fluoros that they stay incredibly short and bushy.

I have personally vegged under both CFL and HPS. After 6 weeks of veg under CFL they were half the size of those vegged under HPS for the same period. You won't get the nodes as tight with HPS.

Just my two pence worth :ccc:

From what I've seen they grow a lot faster with the increased amount of lumens and they really are short and bushy. Then again I don't worry about a couple extra inches here and there. The grow I have currently vegging under 3 65w fluorexs is going well too. They're bushy and very short. As long as you have an hps that has some blue spectrum in it they should stay very short. Eitherway, you can use an HPS for the entire grow. I prefer fluoros for veg and hps for flower. Saves you some money on electricity too.

Theres pro's and con's for all types of lighting but IMO HPS's rule, death to floro's. OK, so they cost a touch more to run. The results speak for them selfs.

I use my 400 from day 1 until the chop and that is something that I will never change.

Latest posts

Back