Bought 70w Hps Need help MUTT !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just poppin a sec...how many lumens does a 70 put out? and how much space will that cover efficiently? no rush on the answer.

wait, so in the pic with the discriptions....
just want to make sure, your saying connect the black wire from the socket, to both Red wires; from the ignitor and ballast...then cap all 3 together??

omg mutt, where did u go..i was just starting to understand what i needed to do !!

octobong007 said:
just poppin a sec...how many lumens does a 70 put out? and how much space will that cover efficiently? no rush on the answer.

6400 lumens

that would cover about 1.2 square feet if you go by 5k per square foot rule.

if i buy a higher Watt of one of these lights, plus the one i just got....that should produce good results.....plus all the 120w CFLs

oh yeah, youll be pushin some serious lumens all together, i think you got a pretty decent setup so far -- btw if your light quit working for no reason, i would check the bulb's wires make sure they're still intact and that the bulb didnt blow up, also if you touched the bulb with your fingers that could blow it up, least thats how it is on some of the higher wattage ones, not sure if it would react that way to a 70 watter.. im not sure what you and mutt are doing eggzactly, but i would keep the bulb in the flood fixture if heat isnt an issue

HAHA i just noticed this printed on the box, in small print.
*Approximate Comparison based on 12 Hours of operation Per Night for 1 Year at 12 cents/kwh.
and its refering to 81% lower operating cost*
bulb last 24,000 hours.

well well isnt that convient. were they growing weed when they tested this?

Ekoostik_Hookah said:
wait, so in the pic with the discriptions....
just want to make sure, your saying connect the black wire from the socket, to both Red wires; from the ignitor and ballast...then cap all 3 together??

Yep
Works for me just fine ;)

We are making this ballast remote to keep heat outa the box AND to remove the photo sensor. If light hits the photo sensor the light shuts off.

Yes whipe the bulb down. But also keep in mind. This is only 70W...thats really nothing. Worse to get hit with 120...that stings a bit. 220V now your cookin with gas.

I'm catching a good buzz now. Will sign back on tomorrow.

well if the ballast is in my grow room...isnt it going to put out the same ammount of heat?
i thought if i left it all contained, it would stop direct heat from hitting the plant, or something like dat.

Looks simple enough from what i see you connect all like color wires together after you take off the photo sensor then wire your back to one end of your 3 prong cord and then the white to it and then its plug and play.

from what you described in the top about it was on and then off i have a few suggestions to check 1 make sure that some of the wires are not touching each other if you cross the positive and the negative it will short out, 2 you may have blown the bulb or burnt the ballast but those are extreme opposites, id say look at the bulb and make sure that none of the filaments are broken and then check for loose or crossed connections.

Ekoostik_Hookah said:
well if the ballast is in my grow room...isnt it going to put out the same ammount of heat?
i thought if i left it all contained, it would stop direct heat from hitting the plant, or something like dat.

the ballast from this kind of lamp isnt going to get nearly as hot as your thinking it will put off more heat from the light than it will form the ballast.and so long as you have a fan moving air around your grow it shouldnt raise your temps by more than a couple of degrees.

EDIT: dont take this wrong but if this is giving you so much trouble why didnt you just put another 50 bucks with it and gotten a 400W HPS from HTG that is plug and play right out of the box.

I had to remove mine....box is big n clunky, also remove the photosensor.
More room the better for me in 32 inches of ht. and I got another 50W in there as well.
Wiring these is a breeze, but wire nuts elec tape and wire ties is what should be used and extreme care and triple checking. But those are a given.

ok, so i took it out of the grow room, and plugged it up out here.
its working fine.
seriously this thing looks as bright as the 400w i had, im still seeing spots from staring at it.
this is going to be sweet

question for ya dubbaman...apparantly your familiar with the 400 hps...which is 2 bucks more than the 250 i was kickin around...after seeing 70watts is 70 bucks. question is, is the temps much higher in the 400 compared to a 250? and how much do either run on a flower stage per month?

here, have a look

Heat is absolutely not an issue. if i did go buy a 400w....in THIS grow room; heat would be a major major problem.

heat even to the touch on the glass into Hot, its warm.
i jiggled the wires, and shook the device slightly...didnt break the connections.

000_0752.JPG

000_0753.JPG

000_0754.JPG

If you got the ht. go for it
the housing just to clunky for me and my limited ht.

mutt, ya talked him thru the wiring, you dah man on that one. now i'm all torn on what to do on my system. 2 70w would be enough, but costs as much as a 250watt, shipping included. then a 400 watt is only 2 bucks more than the 250, but not sure on the heat issues...oh, and harvested and tried out a gorgeous little indica....mmmmmm good...put my arse in "mcgyver" mode. with a 6'x1.5x2.5 closed container, what's the recommendation? CONGRATS HOOKAH on the light bro, your high steppin now...i'm right behind ya.

Latest posts

Back